• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Making videos

Jan 22, 2012
Well i thought i might do some videos when i have a bit of free time.

Does anyone know

a) FRAPS or ?
b) How much space would a 10-15 min video take ?
c) How annoying is to record voice/ produce video skillfully

Spoon

Blood Imp
Aug 15, 2012
Yes. Fraps is space hungry. at 1080p 30 FPS with stereo sound 1 hour of footage is 160 gb raw footage. Fraps is also built on a obsolete file format and it breaks it down into 4gb files.

(im putting together some BFBC2 footage atm) if you need to know more. please ask, if you want to do it over voip let me know.

Edit: Sound, sound is easy. Assuming you have a tool such as adobe premiere. recording voice is easy a free tool is Audacity which can record voice. which can then overlay onto your video.

Personally I use sound booth with premiere pro recorded from FRAPS or XSPLIT (xsplit I use for SC2, Fraps everything else, also XSPLIT can live stream). anyway put your video together use the preview feature to watch back and record sound with sound booth I can then render it all out with sound attached.

I hope that helped.

Spoon

Blood Imp
Aug 15, 2012
You can downscale your video and use "half frame" which records a smaller resolution you can get away with upscaling 1/2 1080p to 720p if your interested.

also http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/hard-drives-int/sata-hd-640gb-4tb get an internal drive, cheaper and more practical if its only going to be one PC.

Also rendering takes a long time. for 15 mins of video about 1-2 hours to render with an i5 2500k with a small OC. So what's your processor like?

Jan 22, 2012
Not counting overheating problems (fking service guys did not help at all ... )

AMD PhenomII N970

Oh and itis a laptop (have around 1 year now :( )

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hello,
I tried FRAPS in the past but found it was not very good (it might have just been my computer though, I'm not sure). I would personally recommend a piece of software called 'Gregion'. It's amazing and totally free! Just checking as we speak: it looks like a video at 1080p for 29 seconds takes 0.11MB. Best thing about Gregion (other than the fact it is free) is the seriously high detail in the settings so it can be easily optimised depending on what you want to do. This is just the AVI sub-tab :)

One thing I will say, a friend of mine got it recently and it only worked on a few of his games whereas it works on all of mine.

Good Luck with your videos!
Medjay

Attachments

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Spoon has offered some great advice.

When I started recording game play videos I had to upgrade some parts of my system, but in the end I just built a new computer. One of the problems I had is that Fraps seemed to be a resource hog, it reduced my framerate while playing so slow the videos would be unwatchable, I am not sure if Fraps is better these day.

As Spoon said, its a great idea to buy a extra Hard drive, vary cheap these days. I would sign up to some of the news letters and wait for the monthly/weekly offers. Few hardware websites such as Scan, eBuyer, Pixmania that's if your in the UK of course.

Alistair

Captain Graze Box
Founder
Dec 11, 2011
UK
Hello,
I tried FRAPS in the past but found it was not very good (it might have just been my computer though, I'm not sure). I would personally recommend a piece of software called 'Gregion'. It's amazing and totally free! Just checking as we speak: it looks like a video at 1080p for 29 seconds takes 0.11MB. Best thing about Gregion (other than the fact it is free) is the seriously high detail in the settings so it can be easily optimised depending on what you want to do. This is just the AVI sub-tab :)

One thing I will say, a friend of mine got it recently and it only worked on a few of his games whereas it works on all of mine.

Good Luck with your videos!
Medjay
I'll take a look, thanks Medjay.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hi, I should perhaps quickly add on the subject of Gregion, there is no real website for it, just download sites for it. At first when I was looking in to it I was really suspicious, so I was incredibly surprised when it turned out to be so good. I found the place I downloaded it from: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Video-Recording/Gregion.shtml. Having used this download and not had any problems personally, I guess that means I recommend it. But, of course, if you can find it on a download site you use regularly, that's probably even more reliable.

Medjay

Spoon

Blood Imp
Aug 15, 2012
@medjay thanks I ill look at gregion, but I wonder if my quality will suffer.
@alistair Glad to see that you think my advice is good
@sarevokus I can't say I can recommend a laptop. But the fact that's its a year old isn't bad. My desktop is a year old and handles very well.If you need help on building a PC I can try and point you in the right direction. however if you just want a fast fix as far as storage goes. what kind of i/o is on your laptop? hauling large files over usb 2 will take a long time, I would reccomend (in order) thunderbolt/usb 3/ e-sata/ firewire/ usb 2

let me know if you need any more help

Spoon

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Oh, you might like to know that Gregion does do 1080p recording, If like me, your computer struggles at all, there are many options to turn this down. I normal try to get 1080p when I can, but it is a beast to edit lol.

Spoon

Blood Imp
Aug 15, 2012
I have a 2500k OC'd a little. But 13/ 14 mins of video 1080p recorded at 30 FPS rendered to 24 FPS 1080p took close to 3 hours. its a good thing i have a laptop to surf while my PC does some work.

LFW

Priestess
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
I've always wanted to do videos as well, but the computer I use runs XP (and I can't get permission from the owner to upgrade)
XP can't detect the "WatUhear" audio if I use a USB headset, and has serious problems producing any audio at all.

This means that if I use my USB Headset, programs like FRAPS cannot record actual audio, only my mic
If I use actual speakers, I myself won't get any audio during recording (Which is a problem, considering I want to do game Commentaries/Let's play/Review style casting)

'Course this can all be fixed by upgrading to 7 (which CAN handle "WatUHear" audio with USB headsets), but nooooo.

Doesn't help that I can't f*cking stand the sound of my own voice.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Well, if it's any help, my set up for game commentary's or whatever, is to get my recording software to record the game and the game's audio, then I use Audacity behind the game to record my voice. Then I just have the rather tricky task of getting the voice and the game film to line up, which I do in my video editor.

Also, I've just remembered that to get Audacity to be able to convert things in to MP3s (which may be required if you are going to stitch the voice and game together in a video editor), you need something called a 'lame.dll'. I'm not sure about the official (or indeed any unofficial) ways of acquiring lame.dll these days, so if you were going to try this, you would need to do a little research. If you don't have lame.dll, then you could check if your video editor takes WAVs, as I don't think that needs anything like a lame.dll and Audacity can convert to those too.

Since Audacity is free, it is a good option, but anything that can record sound from your microphone that runs in the background and can convert the audio to a usable form for a video editor to use should be fine.

As for the sound of your own voice...I'm not sure I can really help there ;)

Hope this helps a little,
Medjay

Dec 14, 2012
Camtasia is good to record webcam/desktop with or without audio and using Sony Vegas Pro 10 for editing would be advisable, AVS Audio Editor is good if you want to record the audio separately. (if you're using a mic) Camtasia comes with its own editing software too if you don't want to get Sony Vegas.

Minus the background music (which was created using FL Studio) AVS Audio Editor and Sony Vegas Pro 10 was used to record the audio and create this video-

As for video size it depends on the dimension of the video and how many frames etc. That video up there is 237mb but was rendered for 1080p viewing, if you're doing a recording of a game for 10-15mins in length I'd advise 720p which will make the video somewhere around 500mb-1GB in filesize. The time it takes for a video to render depends on your computers processing speed just so you know.

Top Bottom