• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanic] Blood Imp priorities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wice

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
May 2, 2012
The Netherlands
I was thinking about DK and how I always felt that I would've liked more control over the way my imps behaved. I was their master, wasn't I? So I thought it would be nice if you could prioritize their tasks, either in general or per blood imp, so that they would do what you think is important first. The priorities could be:

1) Wall making
2) Claiming
3) Digging
4) Mining

And maybe more.

I would really love it if I could tell imps to treat wall-making as the most important thing, followed by claiming and then digging. It should then be programmed in (or maybe even a choise) that ground selected to be dug out shouldn't be made into a wall

Haze

Priestess
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
Prorities should be:

1) nearest available task when dropped by hand, dragging almost dead allies and enemies to lair/prison here is the most important among others
2) Digging
3) Dragging unconscious fighters from arena to lair, putting doors and traps in place
5) Claiming territory
6) Wall making (the least important usually, because building rooms comes first strategically)

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
There were priorities in the DK games, but the imps would work on anything particular you assigned them to do by dropping them there and not stop until things meeting that criteria were done. What Haze lists was the priority order in DK2 at least, and I think that's the ideal default. It's not a big deal to pick up some imps and drop them next to walls you want to fortify in a hurry, and the need to do it immediately is situational.

Jari Nierop

Chunder
WFTO Backer
Dec 31, 2012
The Netherlands
I don't know if any of you played Lego Rock Raiders, but in that game it was possible to set priorities for your workers... I must admit it was no useless feature...
Ah Lego Rock Raiders, brings back good memories, I used to play that game a lot when I was younger. The priorities function was indeed very useful and It could work in WFTO as well. Imagine that you'll never have to worry about imps leaving bodies rotting on the ground again! I would support this... :)

Haze

Priestess
Mar 31, 2013
Moscow, Russia
"Imagine that you'll never have to worry about imps leaving bodies rotting on the ground" - maybe that was simply AI problem, a deviation from ideal default (walls can wait, unlike bodies).

And BTW, it is deeply related to game mechanic parameters: bodies rotting and unconscious near-dying condition should last much longer in WFTO until decomposition/death, I hope.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
yeah, i hope to see a priority option
otherwise im with Haze , The AI will be much better then in the DK games

Mechanics Section

Jan 3, 2013
Prorities should be:

1) nearest available task when dropped by hand, dragging almost dead allies and enemies to lair/prison here is the most important among others
2) Digging
3) Dragging unconscious fighters from arena to lair, putting doors and traps in place
5) Claiming territory
6) Wall making (the least important usually, because building rooms comes first strategically)
This pretty much is default DK1/DK2 priorities. I believe they are fine ( don't forget about extra tasks like dragging manufactured items and some other things ).

RMJ

Firebreather
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
One thing that was so annoying in Dungeon Keeper, was that sometimes imps would down right refuse to move enemies to the prison, if there was any gold marked ANYWHERE.

It was like instead of moving this guy, 10-20 tiles to prison, imp would all go to the 1 marked gold patch 50 tiles away then find out they cant all mine that, then return and the minion was now dead. xD

Cant wait for smarter workers.

Wice

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
May 2, 2012
The Netherlands
Prorities should be:

2) Digging
5) Claiming territory
Well, I don't agree that these SHOULD be the priorities in any given situation. I can iamgine that I want full focus on wallmaking to secure my dungeon and it would be nice if I could order them to do so. I think it's better to have this feature and not use it than to want this feature but not have it...

There were priorities in the DK games, but the imps would work on anything particular you assigned them to do by dropping them there and not stop until things meeting that criteria were done.
True, and I do think that dropping an Imp close to something should override the priority but I do think it would be nice if you could just order priorities. I would imagine a true Underlord could just say to his minions: "Yeah, if you could first do the walls, that'd be great" and they would do it, with no questions asked, right? I would love to have a little bit more control over the way they behave...

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I can see why you might want that control, but on the other hand this is a game and some lack of control is an integral part of the god game genre which the DK games and WFTO are part of. Managing your minions so that they will do something other than their default behaviors is part of the game - a true Underlord could probably tell an augre to not stop working on the current trap until it's done, but in game we'd need to lock a them in the foundry to stop him from going to eat and sleep.

Jan 3, 2013
Well, I don't agree that these SHOULD be the priorities in any given situation. I can iamgine that I want full focus on wallmaking to secure my dungeon and it would be nice if I could order them to do so. I think it's better to have this feature and not use it than to want this feature but not have it...

True, and I do think that dropping an Imp close to something should override the priority but I do think it would be nice if you could just order priorities. I would imagine a true Underlord could just say to his minions: "Yeah, if you could first do the walls, that'd be great" and they would do it, with no questions asked, right? I would love to have a little bit more control over the way they behave...
Unless player will be allowed to select how many imps should fortify walls, how many dig, how many claim and so on, there's still old ''drop an imp'' mech wich I believe should be enough. Default priorities listed there are fine, do note that if you have many imps, some will be free and probably won't be participating in digging but doing something else instead, since each rock can be mined by one imp only.

sorudo

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
i think that the imps should work on basis per dig work, when i am digging out a room while on the other side i am digging gold i don't want my assigned imps to just run away and dig gold.
they should finish the room completely including walls, it's really annoying when i am setting up a template of rooms and i end up with rooms filled with dirt.

Wice

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
May 2, 2012
The Netherlands
The priority-system could be implemented in a lot of ways and it can be based in proximity, if something with a higher priority is close and not done by other imps, he can do that. This way they won't just run away to min gold...

Vaptor

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Feb 22, 2013
well its possible to just have a set of priority buttons next to the imp somwhere in the menu isn't it? would make it more easy to flesh out ...
taskmaster:
[auto] ,[Recover bodies ], [Claim], [gold digger], [Defend] <- would make them stop trying to claim tiles and focus on attacking any tiles that are being claimed by the enemy, otherwize they keep doing most other tasks

dk2 lacked the ability to stop imps from trying to claim tiles so they would keep geting slaughtered

Wice

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
May 2, 2012
The Netherlands
well its possible to just have a set of priority buttons next to the imp somwhere in the menu isn't it? would make it more easy to flesh out ...
taskmaster:
[auto] ,[Recover bodies ], [Claim], [gold digger], [Defend] <- would make them stop trying to claim tiles and focus on attacking any tiles that are being claimed by the enemy, otherwize they keep doing most other tasks

dk2 lacked the ability to stop imps from trying to claim tiles so they would keep geting slaughtered
Yeah, the 'auto' is having a way to stop them from claiming are good suggestions!

Jan 3, 2013
taskmaster:

Indeed. Being unable to stop imps from going into the middle of the fight because they tried to claim the territory was causing lots of troubles. Hope something will be done about this in WFTO.

Vaptor

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Feb 22, 2013
makes me wonder how they designed the ai for the imps
i know enough that its possible they may endup wasting cpu cycles

if some kind of failsafe limiter is implimented thats one issue games like unreal tournament 2004 and unreal tournament 3 suffers from.

i should know i spent alot of time making addons as a hobby . by making as few calls to for loop functions as possible it fixed a ton of server crashes. haywire ai scripts are very laggy but when they work correctly they might take up 1/4 the inital projected overhead.

they probly thought of this tho so i wish them best of luck its not a easy task!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom