• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mechanic: Different dark gods to worship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2012
The talk of the grim reaper as a creature gave me another idea.

Dark gods are worshipped in dungeon keeper, and will likely be worshipped in some way in this game too.

What about being able to choose from several gods to worship? Each god would offer different benefits.
And each god would represent a different kind of evil.

-Demon god.
A monstrous being who favors corruption, chaos and monsters.

-Human god.
An outcast of the good gods the humans worship. This god favors riches, human minions and deception.

-Grim Reaper.
Death incarnate. He favors undead creatures, decay and slaughtering enemies.

More gods could always be patched in later or added from the start, but I think this would cover it pretty well and would allow for enough variation.

Now, for a suggested overview for each god of what effect I'd suggest they should have.

1. Selection.
At the start of a level, you choose the god you worship. Perhaps it could have a visual effect on the art around your dungeon heart or whatever it is you start with.
For some campaign missions the choice could be made for you perhaps, but being able to choose can add to replayability.

2. gaining favor.
Worshipping at the temple always works to gain their favor and increases mana/blood, or whatever is used to cast spells.
But each god also has unique ways to gain blood in different means.
-Demon god: corrupting inheritly good beings gives a large blood bonus each time it happens.
-Human god: A small blood trickle is given based on the amount of gold you have, the more gold the larger the bonus.
-Grim Reaper: killing enemies or allies grants a blood bonus.

3. Temple sacrifices.
Each god can grant you a unique creature through sacrificing the right combination of minions at the temple.
Only the god you worship can grant you this, so unless you convert such creatures you will only have one of these three at any time. They are not the strongest creature you can get, but one of the strongest. They could be compared to a black knight in DK2 or a Dragon in DK1. A very usefull and powerfull creature, but not the most powerfull.
Suggestions for creatures:
-Demon god: Some sort of demon lord, the most powerfull demon available in the game.
-Human god: Dark Templar, Cleric, priest or other kind of unholy religious human follower.
-Grim Reaper: Lich. A powerfull spellcaster who is bound to his lair and is hard to kill permanently.

In addition to this, what sacrifices give rewards and punishments could be different for each god. Sacrificing their favored creatures would mean punishment.

4. Passive effect.
Each god grants a different passive effect. Nothing too special, but simply a small bonus that makes sense.
-Demon god: Easier to turn creatures (not heroes) in their upgraded form if they have it.
-Human god: Easier to convert humans.
-Grim Reaper: Undead creatures require less corpses to rise, prisoners become skeletons faster, etc. However its going to work in this game, undead creatures will be created easier than usual.

5. Spells.
Each god grants you one extra spell. It needs to be researched. Power of the spells could differ a bit, but blood cost would match it. And a low blood cost spell with lesser effect could be more usefull than a powerfull spell that drains a rediculous amount of blood.

-demon god: Corrupt Worker. Is cast on a worker, who instantly transforms into a large, hideous grotesque demon who goes on a short rampage before bursting into a fiery explosion that gives a small earthquake. Very high blood cost.
-Human god: Traitorous Fog. Casts a thick fog over an area, causing all enemies to fight amongst themselves for the duration of the fog. High blood cost.
-Grim Reaper: Resurrect. Brings a dead minion back to life with a sliver of health. High blood cost.

6. Temple.
Just a visual effect, the temple or whatever the place of worship is, looks different based on the chosen god. Functions the same aside from sacrifice differences, but it is a clear way of seeing which god a keeper is worshipping.

In addition, the heroes could have various gods as well with their own temples.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I would be in favor of this as it would allow a bit more in terms of choice and give your dungeon a bit more personality. I would not want the benefits to be too major however, perhaps 1 unique creature or spell, and a slight boost to something. I would probably also opt for it being a choice you make mid way through the level. You devote yourself to whatever god can do you the biggest favor at that time, based on what situation you are in.
While keeper's may enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship with a dark god, I don't imagine they would continue their service if they were not getting anything out of it. As a Keeper I always considered myself as a law unto myself who answered to no higher being.

Spooney

Blood Imp
Dec 18, 2012
Good idea, I like it. I'd rather choose one at the start of the campaign than flip-flopping back and forth between them, personally.

The End

Blood Imp
Dec 19, 2012
Everywhere.
I would be in favor of this as it would allow a bit more in terms of choice and give your dungeon a bit more personality. I would not want the benefits to be too major however, perhaps 1 unique creature or spell, and a slight boost to something. I would probably also opt for it being a choice you make mid way through the level. You devote yourself to whatever god can do you the biggest favor at that time, based on what situation you are in.
While keeper's may enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship with a dark god, I don't imagine they would continue their service if they were not getting anything out of it. As a Keeper I always considered myself as a law unto myself who answered to no higher being.
I wouldn't imagine the dark gods would take kindly to being played like pawns. I'd suggest having three gods, each being the representation of a different vein of evil, and then a fourth option; "No Gods, No Masters (except you!)". Same deal as the rest, unique unit / spell, but more generic. More universal in their skills / apperance / likes, opposed to how the bonuses from each god would be tailored to their vein.

Jun 27, 2012
Would be best if you make a choice, you have to stick to it since otherwise it would be prone to exploits.

How influential the effects are would be up to the dev team of course. Some things like this may need some tweaking since it could be less balanced than it might first appear.

But either way I really think this might add to replayability. Once the system is in place they could add another god in an expansion or update, which would make replaying the game worthwhile as well due to the different benefits.

Jun 27, 2012
thats also an option yes.
If its chosen from the start it might be easier to attach a specific dungeon look to it though. Under the grim reaper the dungeon could be less colorfull and have more the idea of a crypt in its general style, while under the human god it could look cleaner and with fancy decorations while still having a dark look. And under the demon god the dungeon design could be the typical style we are used to from dungeon keeper.

It might also allow for the AI to be set to worship a set god in skirmish.

Jan 7, 2012
same here :/
The kickstarter site already shows different dungeon styles with iced walls or zombieimps.
Maybe the devs are already planning something like a multiple dungeon style choice.

kyton786

Ghoul
WFTO Backer
Dec 8, 2012
Washington,usa
the kickstarter rewards have a green kickstarter theme and a purple "founders" theme. i think they are going to be just skin over the top of everything. im not sure tho.

Dec 7, 2012
www.youtube.com
I really like the Idea of different Dark Gods to worship and each having their own benefits. Double thumbs up.
By the way, might I suggest names for them ?
1) Demon God - Shaitan, the Dark Prince
2) Human God - Betrugan, the Fallen One
3) Grim Reaper - Thanatos, the Death Lord

Jun 27, 2012
Indeed, and through ways like this, war for the overworld can really become its own game while maintaining the experience of dungeon keeper.

Saint

Blood Imp
Dec 28, 2012
All up for it. But maybe keeping it simple along the lines of sloth, greed and wrath? Extra content is ok, but balancing, coding takes up time,people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom