• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanic] I Want to Set Things on Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFW

Priestess
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
Very simple idea here:
Let things set on Fire!

simply put, if a creature is hit with a Fire based attack, there is a chance that he gets ignited. Meaning he takes extra Fire damage over time. Additionally, if said ignited creature stands too close to anything that is flammable for too long, that too becomes ignited.

Standing in lava guarantees ignition.

This adds an interesting edge to Fire in general, imagine setting your entire enemy's army on Fire, or setting the carpet in your enemies Library on Fire, and watch as it burn, then watch as the Warlock runs screaming on Fire to his lair, which promptly sets on Fire.

Naturally, there are easy counters to this.

The first would obviously be Water, and ignited creatures would draw themselves towards it as Water douses all Fires immediatly, but even then it could be hard to access or even unavailable at all on the entire map.

So how about "Fire Hydrant" style "Traps", that sprays Water at friendly creatures on Fire/deals Water based damage to enemies.
How about a Spell called "Douse" that sprays Water at the target location, knocking back enemies and Dousing any ally that's on Fire.
Or just Water based attacks in general.

So of course, managing stray Fire can be simple, (And you will be warned when one springs up, naturally) but if you're not prepared you COULD end up with half your dungeon on Fire.
And that could also be a tactic in multiplayer: Set the other guys dungeon on Fire.

I WANT TO SET YOUR DUNGEON ON FIRE
I WANT TO BURN IT TO THE GROUND
BURN BABY BURN
AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Jan 22, 2012
Not everything that is fire should set things brning imo.
Things like black flames/darkfire should themeticly be good for that.
But things like heat auras or similar things should just leave targets recieve dmg
Also some materials (like those in majority of armors) should not catch fire easily

Also some *burned to ash* animations could be nice :)

Aug 5, 2012
UK
Being on fire might work as a battle condition (like poison, paralyze etc) if we have those otherwise some death animations suited to the last blow including this would look nice.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hello,
I certainly like the idea of being able to set creatures on fire... in fact I like it very much. I'm not too sure about rooms however, since I can image a lair and library on fire...but I cant really see a prison or graveyard or indeed many of the regular rooms being participially flammable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom