• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanic] Multi Level Dungeons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinson

Spirit
WFTO Backer
Nov 22, 2012
Bakersfield, California
Allow for excavation of, and building lower and/or upper levels.
This would require a few things to be done:
1. A new UI element to switch views between levels.
2. We would need a new room type [Stairs Up] and [Stairs Down] to connect the different levels.
3. UI element for the minimap to change views without having to change the view of the world.

It would allow for a much larger dungeon without having to have a huge floor space.
This could also allow for traveling between the overworld and underworld.

Wolvie

Cultist
WFTO Founder
Nov 21, 2012
Honestly go look up "A game of Dwarves"
Unfortunately I don't see multi-dimensions (By this I mean different leveled floors) working that well, no-one I've seen has managed to do it properly without causing major Camera issues. While the Idea is nice... It'd be like making the game 3D (like at the movies)... Its just not refined right now and I'd hate to see this game be one of the "test" games that tried to do the different levels.
(If the Devs managed it - It would be a rather EPIC game... but If It failed It would cause a-lot of stress to players.)

Dec 1, 2012
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Most caves and even mines are hardly flat. While leaving it all one level would make it easier, perhaps adding terrain that moves up and down would be nice. It would give water and lava a direction to flow, and leave open the possibility of water/lava falls. Keeping the perspective forced, and not allowing the imps to dig up and down (to create different levels) would maintain the manageability while adding a nice 3 dimensional effect a la Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, etc.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
The way I see it, multiple layers/floors only makes sense as a way to have more space to expand, and more places to hide things, but since the maps have no size limit, you might as well just make the maps bigger for the same effect.

I do like the idea if undulating levels though.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
Most caves and even mines are hardly flat. While leaving it all one level would make it easier, perhaps adding terrain that moves up and down would be nice. It would give water and lava a direction to flow, and leave open the possibility of water/lava falls. Keeping the perspective forced, and not allowing the imps to dig up and down (to create different levels) would maintain the manageability while adding a nice 3 dimensional effect a la Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2, etc.
Im all for this !! Try to dig through forum - we have mentioned this few times already and maybe you could find and suggest even more interesting things after reading and inspiring from older posts.

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
If it comes to levels I presented some kind idea of underwater levels and multilevels of the ground or ceiling to be able to make ceiling defenses.
I like this idea, especially that we could make dungeons that could hide under gruond some treasures or more gold (like we could do it in Minecraft, but not as far, just up to 2-3 level more, so even flying unit battles could be really interesting )

Anywa if You think about multilevels of map it wouldn't work, the topic about that was here a long time ago.
It was already stated that multi level dungeons are not the option for now, we are only trying to keep alive the idea of terrain that is not flat and gives a direction to flow lava/water(falls)... which seems unlikely now, as it was not in any photo/gameplay video - I find this is a shame... :(

Jul 13, 2012
There was an idea in the chat room about not necessarily having multi-level dungeons, but being able to zoom out to a special layer showing a translucent overlay of the surface. While not being able to directly interact with it, you would be able to indirectly interact through actions in the underworld. For instance, if approaching the underground portion of a city, you'd see the city above with people going about their lives. As you attacked and destroyed things, you'd start damaging the city above. Panic would ensue, and heroes would begin to access entry ways (be it caves in other areas of the map, sewer entrances, stairs down to basements, etc.) to attack you.

Other ideas included casting spells and rituals which would devastate the overworld. This would allow you to see your handiwork in real time, while also giving reason why the heroes are invading your territories.

Thoughts/comments?

iggii

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
There was an idea in the chat room about not necessarily having multi-level dungeons, but being able to zoom out to a special layer showing a translucent overlay of the surface. While not being able to directly interact with it, you would be able to indirectly interact through actions in the underworld. For instance, if approaching the underground portion of a city, you'd see the city above with people going about their lives. As you attacked and destroyed things, you'd start damaging the city above. Panic would ensue, and heroes would begin to access entry ways (be it caves in other areas of the map, sewer entrances, stairs down to basements, etc.) to attack you.

Other ideas included casting spells and rituals which would devastate the overworld. This would allow you to see your handiwork in real time, while also giving reason why the heroes are invading your territories.

Thoughts/comments?
Nice one, it could be nice boost in form of quests (like get hold of this and that, excavate this areae overhere and assemble it all in this part of map to cast this spell - if you make it you can have some bonus and...) in comparison with DK series where it was only-destroy them as they appear.

Can you tell, what is the possibility of having slopes, projections, ravines, water flowing in certain direction according to them - in the game? There is a fanbase within a fanbase already for these features.

NaGeL

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Feb 24, 2012
Budapest, Hungary

Thoughts/comments?
I'm all for this.

On IRC i even suggested that there should bea spell that cast illusion on one of your creatures and you can travvel up with it while posessing it.

not much use buta very fine detail in my opinion.

and the illusion spell could have lot of uses.

Honn

Blood Imp
Dec 8, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
That "overlay" mechanic could be really cool if you could build specific rooms that affect whats above you. Like a quake-room where minions bang on giant pillars to cause tremors above you and damage buildings, or portals that you could use to send minions to the overworld and cause havok for a while and then return with loot.

The last one could even be a different source of income. Instead of finding gold or gems, on some maps you raid cities in the overworld, minions going in and out through your portals as you try to manage getting income by sending minions out and defending against angry heroes.

May 29, 2013
That idea vaernus mentioned is awesome. I don't necessarily think that "multi" level dungeons is workable with the current model. But i certainly think something could be added to improve the dynamics of the gameplay from dk1 & 2.

I think this would be a decent start, it could just be a game mode:

Have the map on two levels were the top layer is the standard underground one with dungeon hearts, portals and whatever. Underneath this is another and is accessible by building ladders in the workshop and digging. This level is unstable and is prone to cave-ins which will destroy room tiles and kill creatures unforgivingly. The larger the open space the more prone it is to cave-in. You can stop cave-ins by reinforcing your dungeon walls which also makes them impenetrable from digging (maybe not explosives though...) reinforcing can be done on both levels but costs a lot more on the lower one. This allows you to build sort of "safe rooms" out of harms way under your dungeon but they will cost you more. Also the cave-ins do not occur in single-block-wide corridors which could allow for some nasty surprise attacks without having to spend all your money tunnelling across the map.

May 18, 2013
There was this fantasy RTS game once, with an upper and lower level. Name slipped my mind. But you could switch anytime between the two, and there were caves or somethin for your units to go underground and back.
Don't necessarely see it for WFTO, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom