• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanic] semi-random cave-ins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
When you dig out an area, if it is too big there is a chance that it will cave in. if it caves in, everything in the area is destroyed, and creatures/heroes in the area are killed, also the area becomes earth again, and needs to be dug out.

if you claim the land, pillars are erected, making cave ins impossible, so it is a good idea to have an imp claiming ground behind an imp digging out large rooms, however there are times when it may be a tactical advantage to let cave ins happen, such as, presence of the enemy, or perhaps if you have dug too much and want to seal a breach.

An example of a tactical use of this could be having a single entrance to your dungeon with a large unclaimed room with a single pillar of earth in the middle, and a locked door preventing your imps from claiming the land, if a bunch of heroes start coming, quickly send an imp to dig away that central column, and if you're lucky you'll get a cave in, sealing your dungeon and killing the heroes.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I wouldn't have it as an instant death mechanic, or at the very least make it obvious its about to happen and have AI smart enough to run away when they spot it.
it depends how rare it is, I guess, perhaps most of the time there is a rumble and some bits of soil drop and scare away your imps and units, and sometimes that happens without a cave in actually happening, and very VERY rarely, cave ins happen without warning

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
If I ever lost a game because out of complete random I lost some of my best units to a cave in, I would feel incredibly cheated.
That's pretty well how I'd feel, too, except you'd probably need to add in the random, fitful fits of irateness as I bang my hands childishly against the keyboard before giving up and playing with Legos instead. I mean, Minecraft.

...Okay, I play with both.

That said, if cave ins weren't random at all, but instead could be purposely created by a player or the AI as a sort of trapless trap, then I would simply applaud the other player for using one on me. And then I'd probably give up and play Legos instead. Regardless, I like the idea of being able to create my own cave-ins, and if that's included, the Mentor ought to give us a little tutorial on how to do it.

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, but I wouldn't have it as an instant death mechanic, or at the very least make it obvious its about to happen and have AI smart enough to run away when they spot it.
This, too, is a very valid point. I wouldn't want to have my minions, except maybe the ugly ones, crushed beneath a cave-in without a chance to save their lives. Insta-gibs are never fun in multiplayer games, in my opinion. Make cave-ins a dangerous thing, but also make them more difficult to successfully and tactically create in such a way that it matches their potency.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
If I ever lost a game because out of complete random I lost some of my best units to a cave in, I would feel incredibly cheated.
I totally agree, but I never said completely random, I figure they would only happen in very specific circumstances, such add large caverns, and perhaps even a unique loose earth type, so it would be your own fault if you let your best units anywhere near those circumstances, but they would be random the the sense that although they only ever happen under those circumstances, there isn't always a cave in when those circumstances happen, so it would bring in an element of gambling, do you take the dangerous shortcut or the long but safe way, do you risk your best imp or several low level imps to claim an area quickly before it caves in, or do you increase risk of a cave in, but decrease loss, by sending in a single imp?

Jan 7, 2012
Im ok with a loose earth type or special caverns which keeps some risks, but random cace ins in standart rooms would be way too annoying, instand death could be replaced with a constant damage, like lawa. If you dont dig your units out they die, their stats and life bars could be hidden like rl lavines where you have to search for the buried victims.

Gorny1

Bloodling
Dec 14, 2012
Trier, Germany
well, i guess, that the land will be claimed automatically, like in DK, so there will never be any cave ins on purpose, like traples traps or something like that. I think this feature would be too annoying (dig your first room to big and it will cave in, smashing all your blood imps from the begnning... great...) and to much work to implement it properly(warningsystem, animation of unsecure ceiling etc.).

Insignium

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Dec 22, 2012
Germany
I'm against it being something that just happens (even if it requires very specific circumstances). The strategic implication is very hard to engineer and outside of that it's just an annoyance.

But what do you guys think about it being a trap? It could require a 3x3 or 5x5 space or even place it like a room. Maybe even upgrade it with gastraps so once the cave-in happens the whole room gets filled with toxic gas?

Jan 2, 2013
-
hmm dont see the point of it, and when its randemozid you cant do it as tactic and its gonna be very annoying if you have to micro manage your imps. one of the beautifull things of dk was that you felt like an overlord not like a babysitter which most strategi games tend to set your role as

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom