• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Mechanical] Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2013

Mechanical units: Wagon
Required: Gold, Blood, Beast, Piglets
Visual: A normal wagon that are being pulled by a beast
Information: Wagon is a mechanical device made in foundry to accommodate the attrition damage when you are putting your creature in the enemy territories . Dungeon keeper is one of the RTS that actually introduced the concept of attrition damage unintentionally with hunger. When you are invading another keeper dungeon it's not uncommon that it will take quite a time to starve a creature which in turn makes them get damaged overtime. Wagon will prevent this with their abilities to carry food and supplies if there is any along the battle. Creature then get their food from the nearest wagon so they can continue fighting without getting hurt by starvation.

This unit is made to counter the sloth type player that utilize turtling tactics. With this you can keep a siege for an extended time especially when the distance between the dungeon will be longer due to larger map.

Feb 1, 2013
You can't drop anything outside you area of influence and even if you can I don't think it's practical to feed 20 of your front line creatures this way

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Sorry, didn't think about that... :confused: Maybe you can give that task to your imps, to feed your minions...perhaps after an 'upgrade'? (extra carrying capacity?)

Jan 3, 2013
You can't drop anything outside you area of influence and even if you can I don't think it's practical to feed 20 of your front line creatures this way
Front line creatures actually won't have time to eat. They will be either fighting or retreating ( unlucky ones will get killed instead ).

While Wagon may satisfy their need for meet they will still need to sleep, you can't make them ''heal up'' only by eating piglets non-stop.

Feb 1, 2013
It's not about the healing, it's about preventing the starvation damage
In DK1 when there's a low level unit fighting there's a lot of them died because of starvation when they are fleeing due to the long distance between the battle and your dungeon
You can pick them up but there will be some that you miss and died because of that
If it's only for the healing, healing spells will serves as a better alternatives. Like I said this wagon is to prevent starvation when you are fighting outside your area of influence especially when they said that spells are more limited in WftO

Jan 3, 2013
It's not about the healing, it's about preventing the starvation damage
In DK1 when there's a low level unit fighting there's a lot of them died because of starvation when they are fleeing due to the long distance between the battle and your dungeon
You can pick them up but there will be some that you miss and died because of that
If it's only for the healing, healing spells will serves as a better alternatives. Like I said this wagon is to prevent starvation when you are fighting outside your area of influence especially when they said that spells are more limited in WftO
Will WFTO even have such thing?

I mean fights won't last so long, there shouldn't be a problem with food/gold.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
im not sure if we need something like this ... i mean ... its like having an Ingame mechanic counter a shitty mechanic thats ... no ... why implement the shitty mechanic then in the first place?

Will WFTO even have such thing?

I mean fights won't last so long, there shouldn't be a problem with food/gold.
I hope not but im pretty sure the Devs will get think this through !

adding it ;) (its a good topic this way the devs will surely read about this issue ;) )

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
To be honest, I have never encountered scenarios where my minions were so busy fighting they starved to death. From my personal experience, combat in the DK series usually takes the form of fast skirmishes and raids, rather than hour-long battles.

Feb 1, 2013
Really? I've seen them quite often especially when you use calls to arms spell to raid enemy dungeon heart. The combat might be quick but they happen often enough due to enemy AI pick some of the creatures not putting all the creatures in battle and pick some creatures in mid fight to continue some 10 seconds later. The creature that usually dies are those that don't have healing spell.

It depends on the map but they usually die because when they are fleeing they are left with very little health and on the starvation status.

Stefan Djordjevic

Ghoul
WFTO Backer
Jan 5, 2013
Sorry, didn't think about that... :confused: Maybe you can give that task to your imps, to feed your minions...perhaps after an 'upgrade'? (extra carrying capacity?)
Thats a good idea too.. kinda makes me think of the game Kights and Merchants.. the servants needed to feed your armies.. but I also like the wagon part.. You could take a wagon.. and if its empty you can send imps to refill the wagon but that wont be as effective as a full wagon..

Blade Chagrin

Blood Imp
WFTO Backer
Feb 9, 2013
If starvation damage is included in the final build then I agree adding wagons and other such devices would be a welcome addition to the RTS elements of WFTO, having to protect a slow moving critical siege unit opens up many new options of play and forces both players to think differently to defeat their foes. Destroy the wagons would be a major bonus for the defending player, I think the wagons shouldn't be able to be built immediately or otherwise destroying them would be pointless unless they are slow enough to make it worthwhile for your enemy being forced to wait for them. A quick counter attack and the siege is broken.

Either way, I support this idea, it is tactically sound and opens up a new option to stop turtling players.

Dec 25, 2012
I like the idea of extending your area of influence with a mobile unit, but it shouldn't be a wagon. Too peasanty. You're the bad guy, not a caravan of mundane goods. Given how nebulous the area of influence is, the unit that extends it could feasibly be anything, but if it has to be something that provides food, I'd prefer a fat demonic chef carrying around a wheelbarrow of nasty looking goop with bones and/or viscera sticking out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom