• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Misc] Moats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
Digging water or lava moats around your dungeon like medieval castles.

How it works: Imps are able to dig out claimed tiles adjacent to water or lava, and the dug out tile would become a water or lava tile. I don't consider this as a room since it has to be dug out by Imps and you are still able to build a bridge over it.

You may just have asked yourself: Hey, Wrath can't build stone bridges over lava tiles that sounds overpowered.
Answer: No actually not, remember that some creatures and easily cross lava without getting hurt like Ember Demons and there is a Rally spell to call them to enemy territory.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
When you say that when the adjacent tile is dug out, it will fill with water or lava, do you mean that happens all the time, or is it an option that you select?
Or is it that you tag the floor tile which the imps then excavate allowing the water to flow in? I.e floors not walls?

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I think this is a really good idea! I love the idea of manipulating the terrain in this way as another strategy. The concept is simple and makes total sense. Nice one :D

Jun 26, 2013
Would you have an ability to fill in water as well, turn it back to land, (other than a bridge). I like the idea of a moat but I think it could me abused, especially in multi player. You could quickly surround your opponent dungeon with water cutting them off from resource. They would then have to waste even more resource building bridges. Could be fun or annoying.

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
When you say that when the adjacent tile is dug out, it will fill with water or lava, do you mean that happens all the time, or is it an option that you select?
Or is it that you tag the floor tile which the imps then excavate allowing the water to flow in? I.e floors not walls?
The claimed floor tile.
Would you have an ability to fill in water as well, turn it back to land, (other than a bridge). I like the idea of a moat but I think it could me abused, especially in multi player. You could quickly surround your opponent dungeon with water cutting them off from resource. They would then have to waste even more resource building bridges. Could be fun or annoying.
It could be abused as you say, but digging towards an enemy dungeon in an early stage is not really recommended. You can also prevent abuse by digging around the nearby water or lava pool and fortify it.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
I think we should be able to undo this, without bridges or else you could lock yourself in by accident.

Jan 3, 2013
Idea itself is fine, but granting imps ability to dig moats around your territory means every player will be building their own island, separating themselves from others as much as possible. With wooden bridge being unable to grant you ability to capture any land any further it will only lead to extended turtling, so I suggest using a device that can alter the tile when triggered and destroy it, creating either lava or water ( could be linked to trap type, where's one turns tile into water and another into lava ).

In short, make something like a mine that can be used to destroy tiles when needed.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I think having the ability to create motes would be a bit overkill in favor of the defender and would encourage turtling to much.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
What if enemy creatures could fill it in? Would that help balance it?
It would still take a painfully long amount of time to remove/ neutralize the water tiles - even more so if the defender has ranged traps or creatures on the other side of the moat. Building brides, as an alternative, would require to you claim all the tiles along a route to the enemy, which would also take far to long.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
It would still take a painfully long amount of time to remove/ neutralize the water tiles - even more so if the defender has ranged traps or creatures on the other side of the moat. Building brides, as an alternative, would require to you claim all the tiles along a route to the enemy, which would also take far to long.
Maybe the Underminer trap that Devs have mentioned could remove the moat... Otherwise, the Moat would definitely be broken. Sorry, Peet

Jan 3, 2013
The problem with moat is it makes every progress slower. If we add traps and other factor it may end up into a forced tie match where attacker will suffer more than defender and thus end up losing the game because there's only one way to go - right through the front door.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I have found a solution to balance the moat.
View attachment 1055 View attachment 1054
One of these rituals could either dehydrate or freeze the moats making it a claimable tile for as long as the ritual takes. After that it turns into water or lava again.
That could work... but what about levels that you don't have access to these on? Or levels where you have access, but not enough resources?

Jan 3, 2013
I'm not sure but I think using a ritual just to temporarily counter moats is similar to using a nuclear bomb against an ant. Rituals probably will have large cooldown and very different purpose, not to mention they will not be available early/mid game where every player will be digging out their part of the map.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
Can't creatures walk through water anyway?

Maybe this should just be highly expensive. Cos I say if you can afford to build a full moat, then good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom