• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Multiplayer Connectivity Testing

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
Multiplayer Connectivity Testing

With v0.5.0 Preview 16 we've implemented a number of new features to help automatically setup your network to support hosting multiplayer games. The steps to help us test this are pretty simple: Host a multiplayer game and see if a friend is able to see & join your game.

Some quick notes:
  • If you can't connect to the lobby correctly (as client), you may see it listed as an IP address with a ping of 2000 - If this happens, please ask the host to submit his logs (see below)
  • You may also see a join button (as client), but upon clicking it all that happens is a chat box appears for about 15 seconds - If this happens, please ask the host to submit his logs (see below)
  • In order to actually start a game, all players must select a colour, theme, player spot, and player team
If your friend isn't able to join your hosted game for whatever reason, we'll need you to respond to this thread with a log file.

To find this log, right click on WFTO in Steam, go to properties, then click the 'Browse Local Files' button in the 'Local Files' tab. From there, you should see a WFTOLauncherLog.txt file; that's what we need!

upload_2014-7-18_18-50-2.png

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2014
But which of the two launchers do we have to test for multiplayer now?; WFTO.exe or WFTOHame.exe? Or does the WFTO.exe also run if you run WFTOGame.exe?; as I see I then also get the log file.

R0d

Cultist
Jan 19, 2014
I don't host / play because it's never worked for me, and I couldn't manage to forward my ports (for some reason I get a message saying the required ports are already used by some other process, gave up trying after that)

If it worked properly I'd be playing a bit. Going to do some testing today to so if this has fixed the issue.

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
I don't host / play because it's never worked for me, and I couldn't manage to forward my ports (for some reason I get a message saying the required ports are already used by some other process, gave up trying after that)

If it worked properly I'd be playing a bit. Going to do some testing today to so if this has fixed the issue.
Hi Rod,
Could you please try with the launcher and report your success? If it fails I'd like to see your log file (See the top post for info).

Feb 9, 2014
Well, I can join a game if Marados is the host, but if I am the host, Marados can't join my game (it sais 200 **Edit: 2000 ping, thanks Marados** ping and he can't click on the join button.) Marados provided a screenshot and his Launcherlog. I also provide my Launcherlog (as that is the one you really want of course ;) ) I did not forward any ports before, so I think that is the cause; that WFTO can't forward a port, but that Marados already opened this port before manually.

Edit: I mean that this is probably the cause why hosting a game at the side of Mardados works, but not at my side, because I don't have opened these ports manually. The new executable should of course do this for me :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2014
Well, I can join a game if Marados is the host, but if I am the host, Marados can't join my game (it sais 200 **Edit: 2000 ping, thanks Marados** ping and he can't click on the join button.) Marados provided a screenshot and his Launcherlog. I also provide my Launcherlog (as that is the one you really want of course ;) ) I did not forward any ports before, so I think that is the cause; that WFTO can't forward a port, but that Marados already opened this port before manually.

Edit: I mean that this is probably the cause why hosting a game at the side of Mardados works, but not at my side, because I don't have opened these ports manually. The new executable should of course do this for me :)
I saw at the changelog of preview 20 their was an issue fixed where the log didn't got overwritten, so, are the old logs from my past post then still usuable for you or also affected by that bug and unusable for you? So, want us to post new logs or not? :) Did you already analyse the logs, or are you concentrating on other things (I'm not pressuring you, just curious)? :)

So, do you maybe already have the causeof it maybe? And do you want new logs, because of the not-overwritten bug?

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
No your logs were fine. It doesn't look like your router properly supports UPnP unfortunately. You'll have to manually setup the port forwards - We will be providing instructions on how to do this in-game in the near future.

Feb 9, 2014
So, in the future almost all people who want to play multiplayer have to forward their ports manually? Will that not make the MP less user friendly?; is there no solution to let WFTO do this automaticly himself? How can I do this now, as I want to test it again with Marados. :) I enabled UPnP on my modem, but are there other settings I have to adjust in the modem to get the MP to work?

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
So, in the future almost all people who want to play multiplayer have to forward their ports manually? Will that not make the MP less user friendly?; is there no solution to let WFTO do this automaticly himself? How can I do this now, as I want to test it again with Marados. :) I enabled UPnP on my modem, but are there other settings I have to adjust in the modem to get the MP to work?
It is expected the UPnP features will work for most player, though not all. Failing that, the game will instruct you on how to do it yourself. There quite simply isn't a 100% effective way to do it automatically.

Feb 9, 2014
It is expected the UPnP features will work for most player, though not all. Failing that, the game will instruct you on how to do it yourself. There quite simply isn't a 100% effective way to do it automatically.
But how can I forward these ports now then?

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
You need to forward ports UDP 27015 and UDP 27016 to your local PC. You'll have to look up your router manual to figure out how to do it yourself, for the moment. We'll have much nicer instructions to do it yourself in the future.

Feb 9, 2014
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Just have a look for your router on there, and it has instructions. a huge number of routers are listed, even rare ones.

what i don't get is why not every game requires this :-\
Yes, why can other games just do this, but WFTO not!? I think if a lot of users have to go through these steps, it won't be very user friendly and you would have some @$#%&#$ users complaining about it and ask every @#%$*@ time how to do this, even if it stands almost right before their nose on the forum/site.

I now farwarded the two ports (27015 and 27016) needed for WFTO with the help of this great, Dutch of course :) , video from almost the same modem I have!

Will soon test if this resolved the problem. Maybe someone else can find this video also be useful for himself? :)

Edit: extra image of my port forwarding configuration, maybe useful for other users? :) And, did I indeedly do it as it should be? :)

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Germany
Good work.
But it in future it definitely should work without port forwarding. As you said, it works fine for so many other games (also Indie games such as Defcon or OpenRA (OpenSource) ).

Last edited:

strich

Lead Programmer
Brightrock Games
Nov 30, 2012
Guys. You're actually just plain wrong that it 'just works' for other games. For other games like DefCon you are not hosting the server. You are playing a game on a remote server that is setup to do that, like an MMO game. You just don't know it.
In our case we are truly Peer-to-Peer, meaning when you host a server you are hosting it from your own PC and network. We cannot do it any other way, as our game is quite complex and heavy on network traffic. It would a lot of money to run a cluster of servers to host everyones multiplayer games.
UPnP should work for most players (Though we will soon see the stats on that) and where it doesn't work its actually the fault of your router - Many routers don't implement the UPnP standard properly.
We may have another trick up our sleeve to try to automatically solve the port problem in the near future, but its also not a 100% success rate. Finally we must fall back to helping the user manually forward ports on their home router.
Its just a simple fact of networking - There is no way to ensure that 100% of the time we can open your network up for you.

Feb 9, 2014
Yes, why can other games just do this, but WFTO not!? I think if a lot of users have to go through these steps, it won't be very user friendly and you would have some @$#%&#$ users complaining about it and ask every @#%$*@ time how to do this, even if it stands almost right before their nose on the forum/site.

I now farwarded the two ports (27015 and 27016) needed for WFTO with the help of this great, Dutch of course :) , video from almost the same modem I have!

Will soon test if this resolved the problem. Maybe someone else can find this video also be useful for himself? :)

Edit: extra image of my port forwarding configuration, maybe useful for other users? :) And, did I indeedly do it as it should be? :)
Sorry, forgot to report back! :) Forwarding these ports resolved the problem!

Top Bottom