• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My First Impression

Feb 3, 2014
Hi dev team, other forum users!

I was recently pointed to this site after people were decrying the recent Dungeon Keeper mobile game released by EA, saying it was the epitome of in-app purchase exploitation, said this game could possibly carry on the DK tradition. I actually complete agree with the opinion of the EA game, it is a disgusting piece of software designed purely to extract as much money from the player as possible with little to no gameplay.

Imagine how shocked I was to see it being praised and linked to on your front page. For me this was an alarming first impression, and having come here to learn more of this possible sequel to dungeon keeper I was immediately concerned and less trusting. My thought process being that if you would promote such an awful and exploitative re-imagining of Dungeon Keeper, then what standards do you hold yourselves to?

That said I'm still going to do some digging and make up my own mind, but this was my first impression, and I thought you'd probably like to know. Anyone who loved dungeon keeper and has seen, tried, or heard about the new mobile one will likely have a similar experience when seeing that front page news post.

Anyway, back to digging, I hope to find good things but I'm now extra skeptical.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
As one of the devs said in a different thread:

Just a quick note: Mythic has been incredibly supportive of us and this project and have gone above and beyond in ensuring we haven't run into any issues with EA as a whole. We felt a shout out and a public thanks was due.
Whether you consider this reasonable or not is another matter altogether. But if it eases your mind, the WftO community largely seems to hate EA and Dungeon Keeper Mobile with burning passion, so this place can't be that bad, right?

Mar 5, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Before I start, I want to state that this is all my own opinion. I wont pretend that I know anything that goes along in the minds of the WFTO development team and I hope I haven't upset anyone by saying this.

I can understand your skepticism based on that, especially after viewing that mobile game. Think of it this way though, to quote the post you mentioned:
We’d like to extend our thanks to the fine folks at EA Mythic for their support with WFTO over the past year
The EA team helped these guys out by helping them understand the kinds of things they couldn't/shouldn't include in their game to avoid any forms of copyright infringement. I'm sure as a sign of respect for the team and the original games that were a big influence for them that they would return the favour and help to promote EA's new game. Don't mistake that to mean that the mobile game holds an influence on this game.

While the mobile game seems to be a cheap, one dimensional game with large amounts of pay-to-play aesthetics placed into it. This game is very much a fleshed out and complex dungeon management game. WFTO will work on similar themes to the classic DK games but with their own original characters, strategy and twists to the classic gameplay.

As far as the DK mobile link being the first things shown on the homepage, the dev team releases a weekly update titled "War For the Overworld Wednesday" which details a select weekly spotlight feature. This showcases the debut of units, rooms, gameplay, strategy etc. As more of these updates are released the link the DK mobile game will disappear from the front page. If you want to know what this game will really be about I'd suggest you take some time to read the past entries on there. Alternatively, a lead member of the community on here has created a thread entitled 'The Archive' which has a rundown of all the current developments and links to the relevant news posts related to the items held within. If there's something specific you'd like to look at, that would be a great place to start out.

If you're still not convinced you could try looking up some YouTube videos regarding the game as I think there are quite a few uploaded currently. Be sure to check the most recent ones available though since this game is being updated regularly.

Hope this was helpful :)

Feb 3, 2014
Been looking through a few youtube videos, and it all seems decent. I'm convinced its not too evil. That was still the first impression though.

May 18, 2013
Florida
In short, they want to play nice with EA so they don't get sued.

Really it's a noble sacrifice on their part. Imagine how many nights they must lie awake tossing and turning at the thought of this pseudo-alliance with EA, just so that we can all hopefully finally play a new DK-esque game.

Jan 3, 2013
Been looking through a few youtube videos, and it all seems decent. I'm convinced its not too evil. That was still the first impression though.
Game is far from the Evil Dungeon Sim standards, mostly because it's too bright right now. Perhaps in future devs will apply some textures and other dark eye-candy effects so it will look more like an underground dungeon and not an underground medieval neon basement.

Also DK Mobile game was never praised here. Topic made by SG staff is only demonstrating some aspects of gameplay, it's not endorsing or promoting neither the game nor people standing behind it. Let that topic not cloud your judgment about this game, it has nothing to do with DK mobile, these two have nothing in common.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
In short, they want to play nice with EA so they don't get sued.

Really it's a noble sacrifice on their part. Imagine how many nights they must lie awake tossing and turning at the thought of this pseudo-alliance with EA, just so that we can all hopefully finally play a new DK-esque game.
I'd just like to clarify that this is not the case in the slightest. We have a good relationship with the guys over at EA Mythic, they're great chaps and we want to support them as they have supported us through our development. There's no power-play going on by either company, it's just a respectful nod towards a team that we've built up a relationship with, and towards the latest incarnation of the progenitor of Dungeon Management Games. I feel @theHword hit the nail on the head with this.

Ultimately in regards to Dungeon Keeper Mobile it's as Josh said "If you're here you're probably not the target market" but someone who is looking for Dungeon Keeper 3 might stumble across us, see that post and check it out. It's the least we can do for EA after all the advice they offered us.

In short we respect EA Mythic and their game, we want to show that respect towards them with a little shout out. It does not reflect our personal opinions of Dungeon Keeper Mobile or our direction with WFTO.

Hope that helped clarify our position. Sorry for the confusion @DeviousAlpha and welcome to our forums, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Top Bottom