• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Published My First Map - Turncoats - Build a Hero army!

Diggory

Warden
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
UK
Hi Guys

My first stab at map creation is uploaded and ready to play. Would appreciate any feedback people have.

The concept of this one is that you control a hero portal while the empire controls a underworld portal. You attract and raise an army of corrupted heroes to battle the Empire's 'paid' minions.

This is a 1-player scenario map.

- You should have plenty of space to expand on your half of the map.
- Gold should not be an issue.
- Most of the rooms will attract and be used by hero equivalents with the following exceptions/notes:
- - The Spirit Chamber will, oddly enough, attract a Witch Doctor through the hero portal.
- - The Arena will not attract anything, so no automatic beast training (unless you grab a Behemoth ofc!)
- - The Barracks will attract two hero minions - Templar & Huntress
- - Not sure what the Bard is attracted by but he turned up before I built any normal attraction rooms!

Hope you enjoy!

Jan 29, 2016
- - The Spirit Chamber will, oddly enough, attract a Witch Doctor through the hero portal.
I've played a skirmish map that only used Overworld Gateways and I also noted this oddity, but there's an expanation for this.

At first I though it was a bug, so I reported it. But the devs responded saying this is intentional because the Empire doesn't have a counterpart to them, so they spawn Witch Doctors to not make the Spirit Chamber useless.

- - Not sure what the Bard is attracted by but he turned up before I built any normal attraction rooms!
Did you build an Inn first? I've discovered that it's the Inn that attacts them (which is quite fitting :-D), but I'm unsure of how many props are necessary. I managed to get a single Bard for the entire game with a 7x5 Inn, so me thinks that you need an gigantic Inn to attract a couple more.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Did you build an Inn first? I've discovered that it's the Inn that attacts them (which is quite fitting :-D), but I'm unsure of how many props are necessary. I managed to get a single Bard for the entire game with a 7x5 Inn, so me thinks that you need an gigantic Inn to attract a couple more.
You only get one, it's considered a Super empire unit, along with a few others... and you're halfway there with knowing how to attract them... but you definitely only attract one Bard at a time.

Aotrs Commander

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Just played this one. This was only the second workshop map I've played. Not bad at all.

One issue I noticed - I don't what caused it - but when I attacked the central taven/lair complex (with the vampire in it), it caused the game to lag severely and it never recover. It was consistent (though damn, I never thought to keep the saves) - if I didn't attack that area, everything was fine. This happened even if I busted the door down and lured them creatures out to attack traps.

In the end, I worked my way around through the walls, first creating an augrim-walled sealed area with just one imp in it, and then Undermined the walls, sealing the lair doors off with an augrim wall. By the time I'd gotten half away around, I was able to use a load of huntresses to start sniping off the creatures as they went to rest, kill the vampire and finally break into the tavern from the rear and clean up. This did not seem to trigger the slow-down, and it didn't occur again, even during the final skirmish (because I had, like, must have been knocking on 200 creatures plus ghouls and disciples!)

So, your guess is as good as mine what the issue was was an why attacking through that door seemed to cause it!

I think that the choice of titans for the end-bosses was a good idea. I think at the moment, with the lack of scripting for maps (I really hope they can find a way to do that one day!) titans probably ought to be used a bit more. Yeah, the flavor might require some... working around, but until we can control the amount of resources the player has (which currently is limited to "Gateway or no gateway" - since as soon as you can use the alchemy lab you can effectively Magic Door your economy) having some solid opposition you can't just drop into the torture chamber and thus further buff the player is a very good idea.

(Maybe other people are using this, as I say, this is only my second workshop map!)

Top Bottom