• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My List of Suggested Animations

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ dempcey -- (and others)
*edit* caveat -- I half-read the above responses

I'm hoping that the VO for our units will allow you to overlook the cost of animations across a handful of 'missing' aspects.

It's terribly expensive, and we're working off of Kickstarter + Early Access funds. If we were an established studio we could afford to hire an additional animator and go further.

Unfortunately, we don't have a publisher's funds, nor a bankroll to work with. As such we've worked to include (probably more than we should have) a ton of animations and done our best to include those that are 'medium' priority while still not compromising what was necessary in terms of gameplay and general look and feel....

The rest would be added bonuses, and, unfortunately, we don't have the funds/times/crew to add more.

That said, once you've played the game with minion VO implemented you'll see how much work we've put into unit personality. It was not an 'afterthought' but, rather, something that was simply way cheaper to do through writing over the infinitely more (time-) expensive problem that is animation.

I'd love to revisit this after release. I think once minion VO is introduced for all (voiced) characters this entire conversation will need to be restarted.
*edit*
Since I think this is more a conversation of characterization than actual animations.

To my mind it is a discussion about look and feel and not a list of animations necessary.

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
@ dempcey -- (and others)
*edit* caveat -- I half-read the above responses

I'm hoping that the VO for our units will allow you to overlook the cost of animations across a handful of 'missing' aspects.

It's terribly expensive, and we're working off of Kickstarter + Early Access funds. If we were an established studio we could afford to hire an additional animator and go further.

Unfortunately, we don't have a publisher's funds, nor a bankroll to work with. As such we've worked to include (probably more than we should have) a ton of animations and done our best to include those that are 'medium' priority while still not compromising what was necessary in terms of gameplay and general look and feel....

The rest would be added bonuses, and, unfortunately, we don't have the funds/times/crew to add more.

That said, once you've played the game with minion VO implemented you'll see how much work we've put into unit personality. It was not an 'afterthought' but, rather, something that was simply way cheaper to do through writing over the infinitely more (time-) expensive problem that is animation.

I'd love to revisit this after release. I think once minion VO is introduced for all (voiced) characters this entire conversation will need to be restarted.
*edit*
Since I think this is more a conversation of characterization than actual animations.

To my mind it is a discussion about look and feel and not a list of animations necessary.
Nope I specifically made this thread with animations in mind. I got a reply from an Alendor and that more animations will be looked at after release which made me really happy. VO is important but what I really wanted was more animations to add.

dempcey

Disciple
Mar 5, 2015
@ James -
Without "personality", some character, the "make me giggle" factor, WFTO is well,.. a bit on the boring side.
Again I'm begging that ya remember that without personality, we got nothin'. ;) Only mechanics which again is boring.
I understand business, was only throwing in my 2 cents. Wonderful job thus far!
*Off to go find Horny*

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
@ James -
Without "personality", some character, the "make me giggle" factor, WFTO is well,.. a bit on the boring side.
Again I'm begging that ya remember that without personality, we got nothin'. ;) Only mechanics which again is boring.
I understand business, was only throwing in my 2 cents. Wonderful job thus far!
*Off to go find Horny*
Look at Alendor's and noontide's post and that should provide some transparency.

dempcey

Disciple
Mar 5, 2015
Look at Alendor's and noontide's post and that should provide some transparency.
Read,.. I understand.
All I was trying to point out (as others have) is that a game like WFTO without "personality" is mechanical and mechanical is boring. That said I beg the Dev's at some point to put their focus on what truly matters, the creatures behaviors and voice. I'll wait, weeks, months, years...I'll wait! I love this game that much. Hell like I said I'd pay again.

Frankly I'm greatly annoyed! DK has a huge fan base (It's good to be evil) sometimes; I can't believe there are not at least a few animators willing to invest their know how on faith. If I did animation I sure as hell would get on board. Alas, the world of today is greed. Hence my post to beg that the Dev's don't join the greed party or worse, give up because of nasty little Templar's of Greed.

If I could help in any way I would!
Don't give up Dev's!!!

mishko

Matriarch
WFTO Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
Read,.. I understand.
All I was trying to point out (as others have) is that a game like WFTO without "personality" is mechanical and mechanical is boring. That said I beg the Dev's at some point to put their focus on what truly matters, the creatures behaviors and voice. I'll wait, weeks, months, years...I'll wait! I love this game that much. Hell like I said I'd pay again.

Frankly I'm greatly annoyed! DK has a huge fan base (It's good to be evil) sometimes; I can't believe there are not at least a few animators willing to invest their know how on faith. If I did animation I sure as hell would get on board. Alas, the world of today is greed. Hence my post to beg that the Dev's don't join the greed party or worse, give up because of nasty little Templar's of Greed.

If I could help in any way I would!
Don't give up Dev's!!!
They aren't giving up on more animations though. They simply are going to go back to making more animations after release.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Frankly I'm greatly annoyed! DK has a huge fan base (It's good to be evil) sometimes; I can't believe there are not at least a few animators willing to invest their know how on faith. If I did animation I sure as hell would get on board.
If the game was opensource or something... then sure I would love to work on some animations (although I'm actually rather glad this game isn't opensource). There is no way to just 'have a go' at some more animations without becoming applying to become a committed dev in order to have access to the game data, unpaid or otherwise. Mods are a rather better scene for people keen to make their mark and change the game in animation and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom