• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Neutral Creature] Air Elemental

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2012
Name: Air Elemental

Description/Preface: The air elemental is an entity made up of magic, vaguely resembling a woman. Elementals are ancient beings. Created by the gods as the forged the very world itself. And since they are found in old rundown temples suggests that they were once worshipped by long lost civilizations.

Image: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/036/1/5/Air_elemental_by_javi_ure.jpg

Key Stats
Highlight:
The air elemental puts out little damage but her abilities can disrupt large groups of enemies, making her pretty useful in battle. She may have a high resistance towards physical & poison damage types but magic can take her down pretty quick if you're not careful.

Faction: neutral

Type:
intelligent

Role:
Support Caster

Acquired By: She can be found in ancient run down temples

Basic Attack: [Ranged] [damage type-generic] [Power - low]

Offensive Power: below average

Defensive Power: low

Resistances: high vs any physical damage/// average vs most magic damage///very high vs poison

Movement: fast

Work: research

Special Needs: Air elementals require wage and rest but not food

Upgrades: if trained enough the protective storm trait can grow in power and span an even larger radius

Traits
Protective storm-
During battle, a storm surrounds the air elemental and spans a small radius. This storm disorients enemies, causing them to sometimes miss an attack and reduces some damage.

Abilities
Mini twisters -
casts 6 mini tornadoes at enemy units. The tornadoes will cause large and high level creatures to stumble and knock over the rest. moderate cool down

Tornado - morphs into a tornado around enemy units, sucking them up and rendering them useless for 10 seconds. Large/high level creatures may only be slowed down. long cool down

Hot Air - creates several pockets of very hot air around enemy units. Anyone that enters these pockets will take moderate damage, the damage will persist if a creature stays in the pocket. The pockets last for 15 seconds and has a long cool down.

Flavor
freedom & open area///She is mostly passive towards your creatures and only really gets along with other elementals; water being her favorite since they have some things in common.

Dislikes: confinement

Behavior: The air elemental has a rather unpredictable mood, she may be quick to anger at times and totally fine at others. She rather enjoys freedom and wide open areas, try not to pick her up often or confine her to the halls of your dungeon for this can frustrate her. She will train and research if commanded but not at will. She is highly intelligent so make sure to drop her in the library when you get the chance, she can be quite useful there.

notes:
-some of these behaviors are based on suggestions by PumpkinKing

-the air elemental cannot be imprisoned

- not all air elementals are friendly neutral, some are hostile

- you may find some elementals working for the heroes; and you may even find some working for rival keepers

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2011
I kind of like the concept of an Air Elemental Unit. It seems quite potentially interesting, but that's probably due to the lack of air/wind based Creatures. (Which is perfectly understandable)

That being said, I think the suggestion is rather poorly done. She completely lacks in character and anything else that would make her interesting, being quite comparable to a Skeleton from DK2.

Her Stats are alright, but her abilities are a bit questionable. They seem quite powerful, even for Neutral standards. Their only balancing traits would be the fact that they effect allies a bit and their long recharge time. The long recharge time, however, is countered by the quantity of powerful spells that she has and their long effect time. And with a more strategic Player, the friendly fire can be avoided.

The suggestion itself generally feels lacking in effort. Perhaps you should really try and work her out more. Or alternatively, you could pass her over to me. As I mentioned, I like the concept of an Air Elemental Unit. I would like to try my hands at remaking her into something good. I do know a thing or ten about making fine suggestions.

Since it seems you're going to be making other Elemental suggestions, I would very much advise allowing me to do a little work on her, being as I would have a much easier time giving her the proper care that she needs as I do not have to split my attention between her and three others. I would give proper credit of course. What do you say?

Jan 22, 2012
Well i feel most of your suggestions are to make overpowered super creatures.
Most creatures (dk2) are good with only 1-3 abilities to use and those abilities makes creatures specific. I mean I would love to have and elementals in WftO (however in more primal rought formless [genderless :p] appearance)
I think like that I would like this to have like a push / some ranged lightning/slice some buff vs ranged attacks

Generally I could see elementals as spiritual guardians of magic, when overlord seeks for new spells he might fight those beings to discover/remember spells to use on his enemies. They could be good fodder in beggining missions that focus on getting player used to rooms/spells/creatures. Like imagine new born/rebirth overlord who attacks seals binding his power that are guarded by this monsters.

@ DarkFire well i would like to see what you can think about this monster. So can you post your to compare it ?

Feb 9, 2012
her abilities are a bit questionable. They seem quite powerful, even for Neutral standards. Their only balancing traits would be the fact that they effect allies a bit and their long recharge time. The long recharge time, however, is countered by the quantity of powerful spells that she has and their long effect time. And with a more strategic Player, the friendly fire can be avoided.
if her abilities seem over powered, I could reduce the amount of time they last and maybe make it so your creatures are fully effected by the abilities. Like what you said, strategical players could avoid it.

Since it seems you're going to be making other Elemental suggestions, I would very much advise allowing me to do a little work on her, being as I would have a much easier time giving her the proper care that she needs as I do not have to split my attention between her and three others. I would give proper credit of course. What do you say?
I wouldn't mind if you've got some really good ideas that can make her out to be something much better than what I have suggested. I would like to know some of your ideas for her first though.

edit:
actually why not share all of the ideas you have here, I can add them on to this thread, that way we won't have two separate threads of the same creature.

Nov 14, 2011
Well i feel most of your suggestions are to make overpowered super creatures.
Most creatures (dk2) are good with only 1-3 abilities to use and those abilities makes creatures specific.
DK1 offered up to 9 abilities, but it was possible to have 10 if Melee was removed. Also, I would believe you about the whole "Making Creatures specific" if it weren't for the fact that most spells are pretty much copies of each other, disguised by different effects, and the fact that DK2 generally lacked specific Unit Roles. Hell, I don't think they even had Unit Roles in mind when they were designing each individual Unit.

@ DarkFire well i would like to see what you can think about this monster. So can you post your to compare it ?
It would take quite a bit of time for me to ready such a suggestion. I usually like to take a lot of time preparing my suggestions, giving them a defined/unique Unit Role, an interesting and fleshed out character, and of course ensuring that they're balanced. It would also be a big waste if I propose something only to see it not get used or to be not allowed to go off on my own ideas.

I wouldn't mind if you've got some really good ideas that can make her out to be something much better than what I have suggested. I would like to know some of your ideas for her first though.
I won't be specific as I'd prefer to keep the details secret for when I create her as a suggestion. But I will say that I'm considering the possibility of making her into a Creature rather than keeping her Evil. I've already thought of a Unit Role that she would fit under, and even have two sets of Lore to explain her as a Neutral and a Creature. I have a few ideas for her character, but I'm not fully sure about that as I've barely spent any time thinking about her.

Edit:
In response to your edit, I'd prefer to work on her myself in this kind of situation. There's not really much going for your suggestion in its current form, and I'd pretty much be starting from scratch. It'd be very odd to not be in complete control of the suggestion after something like that.

Feb 9, 2012
In response to your edit, I'd prefer to work on her myself in this kind of situation. There's not really much going for your suggestion in its current form, and I'd pretty much be starting from scratch. It'd be very odd to not be in complete control of the suggestion after something like that.
I could flesh her out more if she seems dull at her current state (of course i would need time to think about some depth to give her). My suggestion will not die just yet, not this day. *runs off into the hero gate with the portal gem*

Nov 14, 2011
I could flesh her out more if she seems dull at her current state (of course i would need time to think about some depth to give her). My suggestion will not die just yet, not this day. *runs off into the hero gate with the portal gem*
It's not so much that it will die, more so that you could give it a better chance to live. It's not like I'm going to claim it as my own and say that you had nothing to do with it.

Feb 10, 2012
if it was a custom creature or something very unordinary i'd expect more detail/lore, but it's an AIR ELEMENTAL. how much character you want an elemental to have?

Feb 10, 2012
I hope elementals make it into the game, they are a sweet idea for neutral units, seeing as I can't see elementals picking a side. The lack of a melee attack is different but hey, she's made of air. Like any suggestion there's room for tweaks and improvements but this lil felluh seems like a pro at hindering your enemies movement, perfect for ranged allies
also, the lack of a personalty would be a mishap but seeing as this is an elemental it CAN fit. I don't recall ever seeing elementals outside of the warcraft universe ever displaying emotions or a personality, and even in warcraft it's only the elemental lords themselves who do so.
perhaps she could have a few dislikes if anything. but if i was made of air. . .what would i hate?

Feb 9, 2012
It's not so much that it will die, more so that you could give it a better chance to live. It's not like I'm going to claim it as my own and say that you had nothing to do with it.
well I have just updated it a little bit, she now requires a lair. I left out food and wages still, I just don't see an air made entity collecting wages and eating. I'll think on changer some of her skills.

as for your version:
I am not opposed to you making a suggestion of this creature, however I would like to kindly ask to wait until mine has been pushed onto the other page for a while. I would at least like to give mine a chance So I can improve on things and other users can give their input and suggestions.

edit - more updates:

I have given her even more updates, her skills have been altered, making them less redundant. Also I have added more to her behavior.

Feb 10, 2012
DK2 generally lacked specific Unit Roles. Hell, I don't think they even had Unit Roles in mind when they were designing each individual Unit.quote]
now that you mention it. . .dk2 did lack that like wtf? hald the dk2 creatures are so worthless and even the good 1s suck like thebile demon is crap all it did in dk2 was cry about food when I DROPPED IT IN THE HATCHERY n i had a dark elf leave earlier cause she had no lair..after dropping her many times into an empty lair. . .

Jan 22, 2012
DK1 offered up to 9 abilities, but it was possible to have 10 if Melee was removed. Also, I would believe you about the whole "Making Creatures specific" if it weren't for the fact that most spells are pretty much copies of each other, disguised by different effects, and the fact that DK2 generally lacked specific Unit Roles. Hell, I don't think they even had Unit Roles in mind when they were designing each individual Unit.
Totally agree with you. I agree spells are thesame mechanic with different graphics, and that roles were bad. But generally there are many cases that the same mechanic with different effects can be quite climatic. In dk1 I felt that even with creatures having many skills most of them felt useless... different types of throwing projectiles. Generally I am a fan of small focused skillset on creatures and i can bear if 3 creatures have same cake with different cream on it.
Plus makking a lot of creatures in game with 4+ skills on them may make gameplay pretty unbalanced.

Adn FFS there exist edit button

Nov 14, 2011
Delaware
if it was a custom creature or something very unordinary i'd expect more detail/lore, but it's an AIR ELEMENTAL. how much character you want an elemental to have?
Well, I would think that the elemental would have personality traits corresponding to it's element. For example, Air is carefree and whimsical, allowing it to be a trickster or just explorer (as air hates to be confined). Fire is proud and fast, scorning those below him. Earth is wise and strong, keeping to himself and preferring to stay in his lair. Water is calm and mysterious, allowing few to know what lies beneath it's depths.
And all that took me about 2 minutes to right, if someone spent much longer, I'm sure the personalities would be great.
I really like the elemental idea. I will be anxious to see your interpretation of the Water element, water has always been my favorite...

Feb 9, 2012
Well, I would think that the elemental would have personality traits corresponding to it's element. For example, Air is carefree and whimsical, allowing it to be a trickster or just explorer (as air hates to be confined). Fire is proud and fast, scorning those below him. Earth is wise and strong, keeping to himself and preferring to stay in his lair. Water is calm and mysterious, allowing few to know what lies beneath it's depths.
And all that took me about 2 minutes to right, if someone spent much longer, I'm sure the personalities would be great.
I really like the elemental idea. I will be anxious to see your interpretation of the Water element, water has always been my favorite...
Those are some good suggestions. I will update this one with your air suggestions and I may consider your ideas for the other elementals.

Nov 14, 2011
That just sounds like a really dumb excuse to not put in the effort to give her a defined character. What do you think is more interesting? A Unit with character or a Unit without it?

well I have just updated it a little bit, she now requires a lair. I left out food and wages still, I just don't see an air made entity collecting wages and eating. I'll think on changer some of her skills.
Food and Payment can be utilized as balancing tools. If she collects neither, you'll have to make sure she's balanced in other ways. But being a Neutral, feel free to stretch her usefulness across the balancing line a bit... as long as you don't go too far and break it.

as for your version:
I am not opposed to you making a suggestion of this creature, however I would like to kindly ask to wait until mine has been pushed onto the other page for a while. I would at least like to give mine a chance So I can improve on things and other users can give their input and suggestions.
As the original poster of the Air Elemental, I will try to comply to your request. I may not end up waiting that long but it really depends on how everything goes. Regardless, it'll take me a while to ready the suggestion to begin with so perhaps after all that time has elapsed, it'll be a good time to post the new Air Elemental Suggestion.

Totally agree with you. I agree spells are thesame mechanic with different graphics, and that roles were bad. But generally there are many cases that the same mechanic with different effects can be quite climatic. In dk1 I felt that even with creatures having many skills most of them felt useless... different types of throwing projectiles. Generally I am a fan of small focused skillset on creatures and i can bear if 3 creatures have same cake with different cream on it.
I'm not sure what you mean by useless. A lot of them were very useful. Their spell sets and stats gave them very different Unit Roles.

Plus makking a lot of creatures in game with 4+ skills on them may make gameplay pretty unbalanced.
Not at all, that's just a really bad generalization. It depends entirely on the abilities and other statistical information involved in addition to the ability of the person who's supposed to be balancing them.

Feb 9, 2012
Food and Payment can be utilized as balancing tools. If she collects neither, you'll have to make sure she's balanced in other ways. But being a Neutral, feel free to stretch her usefulness across the balancing line a bit... as long as you don't go too far and break it.
If she were to eat I wonder how she would digest the chickens, or puppies, or kittens, or whatever you guys plan on having in the hatchery. Anyways her character has gone through quite an update in, well the past 10 or so minutes, quite a short time span I know. But she actually has character and personality now, much more than she did when I first presented her. I've also changed her skills, I'll admit, her previous skill set was a bit repetitive.

Nov 14, 2011
If she were to eat I wonder how she would digest the chickens, or puppies, or kittens, or whatever you guys plan on having in the hatchery.

It doesn't have to make logical sense. What's most important is gameplay value. People who value realism/logic over gameplay are... well they're just downright silly.

Anyways her character has gone through quite an update in, well the past 10 or so minutes, quite a short time span I know. But she actually has character and personality now, much more than she did when I first presented her. I've also changed her skills, I'll admit, her previous skill set was a bit repetitive.
It looks better but there's definitely plenty of room for improvement and expansion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom