• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Neutral Creature] Gelatinous Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2011
Covington, Kentucky
Description: Gelatinous Cube a 10ft cubic block of clear ooze that is nearly transparent that wanders dungeons eating anything that it moves into.

Suggested as a very very high HP, slow speed, probably random moving neutral creature that would be immune to most traps and obstacles.

A wandering annoyance of subterranean slime, the Gelatinous Cube is a classic dungeon entity, removing a block of stone to find a Gelatinous Cube behind it, ready to consume your imps and other minions could be really great. Eating traps and barriors along it's mindless way, inadvertently foiling all your plans, this guy could bring somewhat comical ruin for you or your opponent. Plus the idea of seeing this classic slime actually wander threw a dungeon absorbing things would be neat, as I don't think I've ever seen one in a video game that actually behaved properly.

MeinCookie

Dwarven Worker
Nov 15, 2011
Sounds like Evi's old Slime suggestion back on KK, maybe you can find some inspiration on the old WftO suggestion board there.

There are also 16 pages of random other suggestions you might find useful... i dunno... There have been any number of various Siren suggestions and I believe I even made a Siren Trap at one point... those might be useful to you for your other suggestions.

Jan 7, 2012
I love this idea!
This would make the digging much more interesting, but the spawning chance should be very small.( like 1-0.5 prozent)
There are so many possibilities!
Maybe they can consume gold and corpses too, so that you have to slay them if you want your gold for the treasury room back.
It could be also possible to trap them behind doors as a barricade against heros.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
ROFL random but interesting, could create unbalance though, say one side gets attacked by one in a multiplayer it would give the other side a huge advantage. Reminds me of the old space crystals in the Master of Orion games lol, random space crystal which shows up out of no where and destroys anything it comes across be it a ship, planet system or space outpost lol

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
ROFL random but interesting, could create unbalance though, say one side gets attacked by one in a multiplayer it would give the other side a huge advantage. Reminds me of the old space crystals in the Master of Orion games lol, random space crystal which shows up out of no where and destroys anything it comes across be it a ship, planet system or space outpost lol
I think we shouldn't even consider such strong random features in multiplayer games. If anything this should be limited to one or two campaign missions where wise use of it can get you a remarkable advantage over the enemy. So it's revelation can be random to the player but should be planned exactly by the developers. Under these conditions - I think it's possible to incorporate such an element.

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I think we shouldn't even consider such strong random features in multiplayer games. If anything this should be limited to one or two campaign missions where wise use of it can get you a remarkable advantage over the enemy. So it's revelation can be random to the player but should be planned exactly by the developers. Under these conditions - I think it's possible to incorporate such an element.
http://subterraneangames.com/threads/other-gamemode-party-mode.196/

Random things are good if everyone knows beforehand that it will be random. This can something in party mode.

Cold_Ankles

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 10, 2011
South Australia
I would like to see the gelatinous cube in regular games as well as party mode, if you think it needs a large nerf my suggestion is that it can only be digesting 2 or 3 units at a time, then it flees with a reduced speed stat.

Jan 7, 2012
" then it flees with a reduced speed stat" - Its a gelatinous cube, I think it will have all the time a veery reduced speed stat ^^
Maybe it could be implemented in the campaign too- if it would spawn very rarely in some special levels, were the player is warned like "player-this tunnel is a useful shortcut- but there could lurking something in the earth we shouldnt wake up."

The very idea of a gelatinous cube seems unfitting for the overall morbid theme of the game. Yes, it has it's humour, but it's not really "gelatinous cube" humour. Just my 2 cents.

I refrained from saying so as I expected someone else would probably make the same point but better put, however nobody else has so there it is...

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
I think you choose a poor picture for a big pile of slime.

Regardless, as I have not given my personal opinion on the creature besides pointing toward the Party Mode thread, here is my first concern: Is this creature a copyright of Wizards of the Coast? This is a D&D creature you are mentioning. If it is not copyrighted, then you can freely use it.

Next, how do you plan to present this creature? Do you wish to present it in a comical or a more morbid fashion, as [email protected] suggests? If you want comical, then a cube would work; if you want morbid, you may want to change the idea a bit so that it, say, is the color of blood, its attacks deal damage over time, spits red acid, has bones sticking out of it, looks less like gelatin, etcetera. Heh, if I were trying to make a more morbid version, I would possibly call it a "Blood Jelly" or something of that nature, implying that the first ones were made from animated, corrupted blood.

You have not put up enough of the creature's stats or the like for me to get a proper feel of the creature, so I can't say "I like this" or "I don't like this." I'll just step out of the thread for now.

May 21, 2013
I was thinking that they could be like a form of living trap Ie. you set it to patrol a corridor. It would be invisible until an enemy walks in to it. when it has killed an enemy it eats them and that is how you see it, a couple of corpses floating around. After a while it would completely digest them and be invisible again.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
ULTIMATE IDEA! Why dont we rip off Dreamworks studios and call it B.O.B. AKA: The Blob and get Seth Rogen to voice act it for the game ? :D

Scared the hell out of me ? lol.... No im not serious, I was bored and saw a dry joke opportunity :p

I personally dont know if this creature will make it into the game, it certainly is a interesting idea though :)
The very idea of a gelatinous cube seems unfitting for the overall morbid theme of the game. Yes, it has it's humour, but it's not really "gelatinous cube" humour. Just my 2 cents.

I refrained from saying so as I expected someone else would probably make the same point but better put, however nobody else has so there it is...

Dungeon Imp

Dwarven Worker
May 20, 2013
Australia
I was just thinking how great a Gelatinous Cube like creature would be in game. So I searched and lo and behold, others also want the jelly cube! Neutral creature sounds right.

I would see them being deployed to suck up gold from the enemy keeper's core (to a max value), or to enclose a single enemy trap or unit. Don't let them get into your Slaughterhouse (which is where coincidentally, if you have one in your dunj it would gravitate towards) or they will eat all your micropiglets! (no limit haha). But that could be the mechanism to get them to disgorge their useful contents. 5 micropiglets in, whatever useful thing was inside, plops out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom