• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Neutral Creature] / [Underlord Creature] - Saurian

Which one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I have wanted to see 'lizardmen' in a game for a while, only just thought of a way to get it in :D

Name: Saurian
Description/Preface: The Saurian's are an ancient bipedal race of lizards, and originate in the harsh wastelands above. However, due to their practice of foul magics and poisons, or simply because they refused to pay taxes, the Empire has persecuted their kind to near extinction. When they fled down here, however, the Saurian's were treated little better, and now hate Empire and Underlord with religious fervour. However, some of the less... pragmatic Saurians have sought an alliance with certain Underlords. Sadly, over the years, they have lost all knowledge of the magic, but they still know about poison...
Image: Something like this, but less gaudy and bright. Saurians are an oppressed people, and devoted to stealth, so it strikes me that the bright armour / scales would certainly not help

Key Stats
Highlight: Strangely enough, considering their size (slightly smaller than the average Augre), the Saurians are rather stealthy. And, with their habit of cloaking those cruel daggers of theirs in the venom their fangs secrete, the Saurians are quite commonly seen by their victims as they are falling to the ground, dead.
Faction: Neutral Hostile up to certain point in campaign, then Neutral Hostile / Underlord
Type: Intelligent
Role: Flanker (Will attempt to get to back of opponent, then stab them in the arse)
Acquired By: As Neutral Hostile, Conversion. As Underlord Creature - unsure. Will definitely need a Lair, however
Basic Attack: Melee, dmg type - Cut - steel
Offensive Power: Relatively good.
Defensive Power: Low armour.
Resistances: Immune to poison, very weak against Frost, average against all else.
Movement: Fast
Work: Will occasionally try to help any Crackpots. Loves alchemy. The Saurian is to the Crackpot what the Chunder is to the Augre
Entertainment: The Saurians will seek out their enemies, especially Empire units in Prison or the Torture Chamber, and will taunt them. They will also dabble in the Alchemy Lab, if the Crackpot doesn't get annoyed with them and chase them out.
Special Needs: Saurians don't 'need' one, but they will be a lot happier if you have a Barracks or Alchemy Lab in your dungeon.
Upgrades: Every level or so, the Saurian will return to their lair, when events allow, and enter a comatose state. While that state lasts (it will end after about 30 seconds) the player will be able to see their bodies changing, becoming larger and lither. They will emerge from said state more powerful, and more suited to sneaking.

Traits
Stealthy: Saurians, depite their size, are light on their feet, and are able to move without making anywhere near the amount of noise that, say, an Augre, or a Gnarling pack, would make. Enemy Creatures will not react to the Saurian unless it is close. Detectors (Scouts) will react as normal.
Backstab: Gains a large bonus if attacking from behind.

Abilities
Ability Name: Poison Blade (LVL 1): The Saurian uses some of the vile poison it excretes from its mouth on its twin daggers. Lasts 1min, adds poison (average) damage to attack power. Cooldown 1min, 45sec. Other Minions can also pay the Saurian a small amount of money to poison their weapons.
Ability Name: Deathly Leap (LVL 2): The Saurian leaps at a foe, sinking their daggers into the flesh of their prey. Long-ranged attack, Saurian closes gap between it and a target. Has chance to knock target over, in which case all attacks made by Saurian counts as an attack from behind.
Ability Name: One with the Shadows (LVL 4): The Saurian's enemies will completely ignore them, unless they are attacked, or are 'detectors' (scouts). Will still be detected by traps. Lasts between 30 - 45 seconds (haven't decided which, yet), cooldown 2min 30sec.

Flavour
Appearance: The Saurian is slightly shorter than an Augre, with long, lithe, limbs. Has three long fingers, each ending in a claw. Same with toes. Has mottled green skin, most of which is hidden beneath clothes the colour of earth, which are covered in the strange, runic script of the Saurian race (see LoveCraft's Diary). The eyes are large, with a 'skinny V' pupil, and are usually purple. In each hand is a dagger, one a Misericorde, the other a Baselard. The Saurian's mouth is fanged, and from several of these fangs drips a highly poisonous substance.
Likes: Alchemy, combat, all minions specifically associated with those.
Dislikes: Heroes, the Sanctuary (Something about the Nameless One and the Saurian's gods not speaking to each other), Succubi (?).
Behaviour: Will wander around the dungeon, and try to make potions in the Alchemy lab (with amusing results). Will go to Jail and gloat / torment captives, especially Heroes.
Let me know what you think! I am always open to suggestions...

*Edit* Took on board Ben Chandler's suggestions, so turned the 'attack from behind' and turned it into Backstab. Also changed level that abilities are gained at, altered 'One with the Shadows' (hopefully fixed, Invisibility was just too powerful)

May 22, 2013
I like this idea. Maybe having more factions in the game that you can choose from and at certain points you have to choose one faction over the other.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
nooooo dont like invisibility its either annoying for oneself or OP :D

otherwise the idea is good.

i think the traits are the passive abilities: (the traits of the necromancer for example)

Army of Darkness (Passive): The Necromancer gains a defensive bonus for every nearby Ghoul & Revenant.

Necromancy (Passive): Every time a nearby unit dies (including undead), the Necromancer heals himself and all nearby Ghouls for 10% of their maximum health, and returns Revenants to full health.

you should think about the abilities once more, the devs stated more than once that the creatures will have most of their Skills right from the start (so that they can be used in the way they were planned)

for some more variation:

"the Lord of the Free city of Riva, honorable Leader of the Fortune Knights, Guildmaster of the Merchant guild and caring ruler over the citizens Azmodeus von Riva Decrees: This will be added to the List of suggestions! "

---> Neutral Creatures, please PM me if you decide it should be put into the underlords section

Dec 29, 2012
If we for the hostile up to a certain point option (which I'm all for) then it should be fairly early in the campaign. This idea is great BTW.:)

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110419055208/zelda/images/a/a3/Lizalfos_Artwork_(Ocarina_of_Time).png
Aeralfos, legend of zelda: ocarina of time
Something like this?

rlly like this one btw ^^
Aren't traits something like a "passive" or something? like immune to lava etc.
Yes, but nowhere near as gaudy.

Any suggestions on how to rework the invisibility? I want this to be a 'stealth' creature, but, in hindsight, pure invisibility truely is a pain in the arse...
If we for the hostile up to a certain point option (which I'm all for) then it should be fairly early in the campaign. This idea is great BTW.:)
Thanks, Chuckle face. Good to see it wasn't a flop.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
I like lizard men creatures, a few suggestions:
Rather than adding complication to damage, just give them a trait called backstab which makes all attacks to downed enemies or from behind deal extra damage.
Also lizards and snakes are usually pretty darn resilient against fire so surely these guys resistances should reflect this?

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I like lizard men creatures, a few suggestions:
Rather than adding complication to damage, just give them a trait called backstab which makes all attacks to downed enemies or from behind deal extra damage.
Also lizards and snakes are usually pretty darn resilient against fire so surely these guys resistances should reflect this?

nooooo dont like invisibility its either annoying for oneself or OP :D
Both taken on board. Thanks, people :)

May 22, 2013
Netherlands
Do you think I should add some form of speed boost (either for movement or attack)? Or would that break the Saurian?
Not a too consistent speed boost, it seems pretty balanced as of now
You could, however, make them quicker while in water (if their amphibian), after hit with fire (cold-blooded), while being stealthed (light on their feet and such) or maybe shortly after being detected (flee!)

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
Not a too consistent speed boost, it seems pretty balanced as of now
You could, however, make them quicker while in water (if their amphibian), after hit with fire (cold-blooded), while being stealthed (light on their feet and such) or maybe shortly after being detected (flee!)
Which one? Not the quicker in water one, though (reptilian, not amphibian)

May 22, 2013
Netherlands
I think the speedier because of heat is the most logical (much heat, too much energy, relief of energy by moar movement), I never really got why so many games made stealth even more annoying by adding movementspeed xD

Celeronen

Dwarven Worker
Apr 28, 2013
was going to suggest "lizardmen", and this seems good. Would like to see them in the game.
I don´t think they should be too strong, maybe bit above average offensive power; and have rather weak defense at lower levels.
Possibly the lizardmen(saurians?) could have both ranged (bow) and melee skills, and therein serve as a not to powerful but flexible "basic-unit".

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lraz5w05LO1qg1h92o1_1280.jpg

Amon

Huntress
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
was going to suggest "lizardmen", and this seems good. Would like to see them in the game.
I don´t think they should be too strong, maybe bit above average offensive power; and have rather weak defense at lower levels.
Possibly the lizardmen(saurians?) could have both ranged (bow) and melee skills, and therein serve as a not to powerful but flexible "basic-unit".

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lraz5w05LO1qg1h92o1_1280.jpg
Not sure about the ranged/melee. It is usually an 'either-or' in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom