• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New Hero: Druid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2012
Name Druid.

Preface Considering the unnatural beings that tend to wander in a dungeon, and evil machinery being build underground that may affect the living world above, it makes sense that Druids would be fighting against Keepers.

Appearance image:

Stats: Above average.

Health: Above average.
Armor: Light.
Movement Speed: Average.
Attack strength: Average.
Attack speed: Average.
Intelligence: Low.
Construction: Low.
Training Rate: Fast.
Training Cost: High.
Wage: Average.

Skills:
Level 1: Melee. (uses staff to attack.)
Level 3: Healing wind. (weak healing spell that heals all neaby allies for a small amount of health.)
level 5: Vines. (vines come from the ground and wrap around enemies in a small area, keeping them in place untill they cut through the vines. Not too hard since they have low health.)
Level 7: Lightning. (shoots a powerfull ray of lightning from his staff at a single target.)
Level 9: Wind. (knocks back all enemies in front of him, not allies since he has great controll over it.)
Level 10: Earthquake. (causes rocks to drop from the ceiling around him, damaging enemies in a circle around him.)

Passive abilities:
Regeneration: steadily heals himself when not in combat.
Revive animal: Can revive unconcious animals in battle, allowing them to fight on.
Inspire animal: boosts the morale of animals around him by a small amount.

Weaknesses/Resistances: Minor resistance against fire, lightning, poison and ice since these are forces of nature. weakness against dark powers.

Information: The Druid is different than most spellcasters since he is a bit tougher and is poor at researching. He works especially well with animals, and works at his best with them in battle, but can also do well on his own.

Appearance: A man with a green hooded robe, has a fur cloak and a leather chestpiece. He carries with him a staff that looks like a natural branch, possibly with green glowing crystals imbedded on top.

Behavior in Dungeon: He associates with animals, seemingly talking with them and they seem to respond back with whatever noise they make. He will occasionly look up natural places and does not want his lair to be near a workshop.

Battle Style: The Druid is not quite a specialized hero, he has some powerfull attacks and some controlling abilities, provides light healing and has enough health to take a few hits.
Once they get their lightning spell they will try to stay a bit more in the back.

Jobs: Training, guard duty. Can research but is poor at it, grows angry when assigned to the workshop since its industrial.

Loves: Animals, natural surroundings.

Hates: Undead and industry.

Anger reaction: Leads animals in a rebellion.

Lair: A lush green tree with a stone in front of it in a pond of water. The druid sleeps in a sitting position on the stone.

Obtainable By: Hero, can be converted. (but not too easily.)

Attracted by: Natural surroundings.

How Introduced: Works together with elves to stop the evils threatening the nature of the land.

Entrance Effect: [OPTIONAL] Enters through a wirlwind.

Torture: [OPTIONAL] Is beaten with two steel hammers. (representing industry which the druid hates.)

Advisor Quotes: [OPTIONAL] (What would the Advisor say about this unit?)

Jul 13, 2012
Do you see this hero as being more a beastmaster in terms of taming and controlling animals, or possibly shapeshifting into one themselves? I've seen many games where druids and shamans (using EverQuest for instance) would be able to shapeshift into wolves, bears, birds, etc. depending upon the situation presented.

Always been a fan of druids since my days in EverQuest many years ago as they were always a stout and versatile class that took the strengths of quite a few others. However being a tree hugger had it's downsides. You couldn't cast many of your spells underground simply because they pulled from nature to cast them (such as lightning spells). I think that's a main reason why previous dungeon games never really had druids as a hero type as they seem outta place almost.

Jun 27, 2012
Its a bit out of place yes, but Druids would need to go out of their way to destroy unnatural things that threaten the balance of nature. And underground is nature as well.

I'd add animal companions and shifting, but as far as I understand they want to keep abilities a bit more limited.
Might be better to leave the shapeshifting to others. In battle allied animals might be drawn to him either way due to him being able to befriend them far easier than others. Having summoned animal companions might get a bit confusing either way, might be better to have them as seperate creatures.

Jan 22, 2012
Heh i have so many things to say why he is awfull as a underground hero (btw did you use search function because there is 1 very similar hero already suggested), but i will say this:

Not a hero, a neutral creature. This way we could balance his animals/shapeshifting and lonely nature more. Like druids circles in mushroom woods, whoever crosses their land is subject to druid wrath. Also it would be a good moment to put some puns there XD

Skill wise i think you have a lot too good stuff there (3skills+passive as a general rule :p ) good utility and good offense.

Lower training rate, he should learn a lot of stuff to be powerfull so high-medium/low-high is better .

Jun 27, 2012
halfling priestress seems like something completely different to me, and considering that nature and the earth goes down to the very core its not that weird for druids to go underground. Dont forget that theres more to nature than just forests.

While they could appear neutral here and there attacking both sides, I dont really see them siding with evil unless tortured so might be best to have them as a hero.

How powerfull the abilities are is up for grasps still, he doesnt seem that strong to me. Hes simply a jack of all trades, having no particular strenght or weakness, aside from dark attacks.

Jul 13, 2012
I do agree that we (as in any fan of Fantasy worlds) get caught up on Druids as strictly being part of "nature" but then ignore the fact that rocks are just as natural as trees, dirt, etc. I think original designs of Druids, especially Druids in our history, were focused on living beings in nature which covered animals, insects, plants, and trees but really didn't care too much about underground as it is effectively dead. But if a Druid was based around all of nature, then that would include everything and a Druid being in the caverns would definitely not be out of place.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Really like this unit, rather than having basic destructive spell casting, he could use the environment to damage his enemies. I would make a change if you don't mind Rhalius, a very small change but something that completes the Druid's story, read on and I'll explain.

Its a bit out of place yes, but Druids would need to go out of their way to destroy unnatural things that threaten the balance of nature. And underground is nature as well.
This was my first thought, yes a Druid is nature loving and underground is not necessarily a place you would find them, but this is how I see it. The Druids would have been separate from the Heroes (Empire?) in the past, but now this evil is actually fighting for control of the overworld, what they consider to be their territory, they feel they must make a stand and help support the Empire. For this reason, I feel that most of what a Druid would do, would be drawn from the world above and his spells should reflect this.

level 5: Vines. (vines come from the ceiling and wrap around enemies in a small area, keeping them in place untill they cut through the vines. Not too hard since they have low health.)
A tiny change, but a necessary one in my opinion, just to reinforce his connection with the world above. I wouldn't mind seeing sunlight embedded somewhere in his array of spells as well, but I'm not sure how to use it effectively so I'll leave him be for now.

Jun 27, 2012
A good touch yes, to get the vines coming from above. Nature is all around them though, below and above. From above and in a small area it might limit the oversight of the battle though, you cant see very well whats behind the vines then. And imagine having multible druids in a fight casting that spell.

For gameplay purposes, from below might work better since it wouldnt obstruct vision. His lightning spell could come from above though, shooting through the ground. A bit of rubble coming down along with it could show its shooting through the ground.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Didn't think about that actually, you make a good point. I think the lightning would have to come from the staff, lightning from earth may look strange.

As your concept stands then, I'm a fan, nature lovers would have good reason to hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom