• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New room: Warding chamber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2012
Highlight: The warding chamber allows for a variety of magical defences to be put up based on the creatures placed there. Only one type of creature may be placed in a warding chamber.
Vein: Magic?
Associated Units: What creatures are associated with the operation of the room. E.g. Intelligent creatures use the lair. Augres work in the foundry.​
Appearance: A round room, with round pillars. Objects spawn in the room based on the creatures using it.

Functions
For each function in your room copy the below entry detail and give each function a name.​
Function Name: Create barrier.​
Many creatures though not all, can be tasked here to create barriers.​
In a way the barriers work as traps, but cover magical and organic barriers that cannot be produced in a workshop. Some barriers require blood or mana to be maintained, but the weaker ones require nothing.​
Orbs spawn in the warding chamber to represent the physical aspect of the barrier, which can be placed just like traps.​
Each warding chamber can only produce one type of barrier, if you plan to use more than one type you either need to build multible warding chambers or switch the crew.​
Some barriers could be created by multible creatures if it makes sense. A magical barrier could be made by warlocks but also wizards for example.​
A few examples of what creatures could create which barrier:​
Spider: produces webbing barrier.​
Can be seen making a web in the warding chamber when tasked here, the webbing barrier allows a thick web to be placed in narrow corridors to slow down enemies that walk through it, and can cause slow and sluggish creatures to get stuck. Needs to be targeted to be destroyed.​
Druid: Produces thorn barrier.​
When druids use a warding chamber, thorny veins grow everywhere in it as they chant, forming a circle in the middle.​
The thorn barrier can be placed anywhere and is not restricted to corridors. It can be cut down or be burned down, but is highly resistant to cold attacks and can only be passed by small rodents such as spiders, rats, beetles, or other small nimble creatures.​
Frost mage or other ice mage: produces ice barrier.​
The warding room gets frozen in ice as the creatures inside chant.​
A block of solid ice is placed as a barrier, nothing can pass through it. Fire can easily burn through it, but slashing it to pieces takes quite a while. The location of the ice barrier determines its longevity. It will melt right away when placed next to lava, and will generally melt very slowly on a normal tile. On winter maps it does not melt over time and needs to be cut or burned down.​
The ice barrier does drain mana.​
Demon(or other appropriate creature): Produces shadow barrier.​
The floor of the warding chamber is covered in black fog while these demons work.​
The shadow barrier creates a thick dark fog that covers not only the tile itself but also those around it in darkness. While it is perfectly harmless, it is a good way to hide traps and to drop minions there without others seeing whats dropped by the owner.​
Any attack that gives off light can disperse the shadow barrier.​
Warlock: produces magic barrier.​
The warding room is not decorated, but the warlocks all raise a staff and create a dark blue magical blob that floats in the middle of the room.​
The magic barrier can only be placed in corridors and is a huge mana drain. The benefit is that it is completely immune to all attacks but no matter how high your mana/blood or whatever is used for spells income is, this barrier will drain it dry.​
Placing more than one would not be adviceable, this barrier is perfect to stall enemies and with great mana reserves it could hold maybe five to ten minutes at best.​
Monk/priest: produces holy barrier.​
This one is unique to the forces of good, and thus requires them being converted but will generally be used against the player in the campaign.​
The holy barrier prevents all unnatural creatures from passing through and can only be placed in corridors. Vampires, demons, skeletons, necromancers, devils and such cannot pass it.​
While it does not drain mana, it requires a priest or monk to maintain the barrier. They will chant from behind it in meditation. During this they do not require food or sleep.​
So the trick to this is to use different creatures to pass the barrier and kill the monk/priest.​
Just a few suggestions of barriers of course.​
As for how this room will fit great into the game and the dungeon: it gives an additional use to most spellcasters and can provide something interesting to some other creatures as well such as the spider with its webbing barrier.​
Most mages could be associated with a barrier, but by placing creatures in the room the player can find out what they can do. Creatures that cant create a barrier will just leave since they cant use the room.​
As for what justifies this room to exist next to the workshop:​
the barriers do not cost gold, mages dont fit in workshops and can contribute to defense in this way, and it pretty much gives a place to assign any magical and natural defenses that do not belong in the workshop.​
Gameplay mechanics of the room are deliberatly different as well, hence why only one kind of barrier can be created at a time.​

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I like the idea of having the effect of the room change depending on which units is placed inside. However, I wonder whether player will not simply prefer placing caster units in the library instead, as even though the warding chamber would essentially represent a workshop-for-casters, there is nothing like a library-for-brawlers. As a result, having two "workshops" may be a bit overkill, if you can follow my idea.

Jun 27, 2012
As I said, its a room that allows for the kind of defences that cant be assigned to the workshop. They cant forge a magic barrier on an anvil, webbing or thorns.

In typical dungeons not every trap, barrier and such is crafted after all.

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
i think his point was more that while functionally, these perform similar tasks to traps, nothing functionally performs similar to a library for less intellectually inclined units. i.e. "why would i shove all my creatures into making traps/traplike features when i need veins researched?" the idea of magic barriers is interesting though... could be neat for when everything necessary is researched, or maybe creation of glyphs/wards can be a biproduct of research in the library? kind of as an in between to large finds?

Jun 27, 2012
There is no need for an alternative to a library. it requires intelligence and not magic use to use it. Knights and such should be descent in a library as well.

Its not a clean split between magic users using the warding chamber and all others the workshop. Spiders use the warding chamber as well, and various creatures can use it if they have a natural ability that can work with it in a similar way.

The split is between hand made devices and magical/natural devices.

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
your misunderstanding, i merely meant to say that, while i can make devices in the workshop at the same time as making advances in my library, if i want to make magical devices, i have to deprive progress out of my library. giving a companion room that allows some form of progress or advancement to "non warding room compatible" creatures could be beneficial if things such as putting warlock (see cultist) into warding room produces a device i want.

Jun 27, 2012
Well you can't have everything. It adds more strategy to the game as to how you divide your manpower.

Theres multible creatures good at researching. Can just ommit one type from that and put them in the warding room while the others research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom