• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Not a single normal trap?

Feb 1, 2014
With almost all the features of the game already revealed I realised that there isn't a single "normal" trap like spikes or saws, is there a reason to this? It feels strange to build a dungeon and not have any common trap to defend corridors other than putting a bombard on the other side.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Why is a cannon not considering "normal", and for that matter what even is the definition of "normal" in this situation?

If by common/normal you mean the same stuff that appears in all fantasy (dungeon related) games/stuff, then that's probably why.. it's not very creative to use the same tropes that appear in everything else.

Feb 1, 2014
What I meant is the lack of melee traps or simple traps, I'm not complaining about being original but I feels a little strange to defend corridors only with cannons.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
What I meant is the lack of melee traps or simple traps, I'm not complaining about being original but I feels a little strange to defend corridors only with cannons.
well i would say a cannon is vastly better in a corridor than spikes :p
we have the Ember demon (and though not a trap per se) the frost weaver as melee traps

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
For some reason, this deminds me of a Dungeons and Dragons scenario where a group of experienced adventurers was torn apart by kobolds (usually Level 1 cannon fodder) because they would constantly lure the adventurers into poisoned spiketraps. Maybe we could teach something like that to Imps, hmm?

Aug 28, 2014
Is there a list of the revealed defenses anywhere? I've noticed that apart from the bombard, the ember rift, and doors, most of the defenses I'm aware of so far seem to be utilities (outpost, underminder, gold vortex) rather than things which, you know, actually help defend your dungeon.

And for what it's worth, I agree with Skorp. If simple traps like floor spikes and poison gas seem commonplace in dungeons, there's a reason for that - it's because they're useful.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
You're forgetting the Gargoyle and the Bone Chiller.

There's still one more 'trap-like' (like the Bombard, Bone Chiller, etc) defence and another door to be revealed (and one more utility-like defence).

Feb 1, 2014
You're forgetting the Gargoyle and the Bone Chiller.

There's still one more 'trap-like' (like the Bombard, Bone Chiller, etc) defence and another door to be revealed (and one more utility-like defence).
Excellent :) But then I guess that the basic defence trap will be only the bombard?

Psycix

Dryad
WFTO Founder
Jan 9, 2013
Although I am happy to see there are no redundant traps in WFTO, I'd expect to have one simple floor based trap, like spikes. The gargoyle and the bone chiller are both a different kind of AoE.
What's a dungeon manangement game without the good old spike trap?

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
@Simburgur should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the philosophy has always been that something as simple as the 'spike trap' isn't a lot of 'fun'. There's no real interaction or counterplay involved, it's just 'there'. That's why all traps currently implemented have some kind of interesting tactic or thought behind them at the least.

That said, I've never been opposed to having one or two very simple traps in there regardless.

Nov 13, 2013
The devs have said they won't be adding it because Instant death traps are no fun and rage inducing to players.

Regarding the spike trap, while it is a classic, it isn't very interactive or fun to play with or against. Even in DK2 I found the spike trap rather underwhelming, because the way minions interacted with it. It functioned like a barricade that hit back.

I'm racking my brain right now trying to think of a way to make the spike trap interesting and fill a roll, but nothing really good is coming to me. Best I could think of would be a late game trap that functions similar to the sunken colony in Starcraft. A trap that launches a spike under the feet of minions who come within x tiles of it. Maybe with an active ability that makes it launcher smaller spikes at everything in range with a slowing effect thrown in?

Another idea would be to make a trap that focuses on being an invisible danger, since there aren't that many invisible traps in the game right now( not sure about that. How many invisible traps are there exactly?).

Top Bottom