1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nutter's Concept Art Thread

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nutter, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

First off, apologies to the Mods if this belongs in offtopic instead of here I was yo-yoing between which one I thought it should be in. Feel free to move it if it needs moving.

Ok, to the point. As some of you may know I like to dabble in photoshop and create my own concept art or add little touches to the concept art released by the devs. I was thinking about how I could use this to help in the forums and I figured one way I could it was to create concept art for people's creature/room suggestions.

So here's how it's going to work (assuming anyone is interested) if you want me to have a have a go at drawing some art for your suggestion then post a comment with a link to it and i'll check it out. Can't promise i'll be able to do all of them (or that I will even try every single one) but if I like the idea and think I can create a decent looking bit of concept art from it then i'll give it ago.

Rules:
    • First come, first served - If I'm working on something then I won't just drop everything to work on your amazing idea just because it sounds amazing, especially if you're at the bottom of the list and I have a bunch of stuff im supposed to be doing first. (Unless you're Sim or Moz... That might just change my mind haha)
    • The idea has to be unique enough to be worth creating concept art for (and that's up to me to decide) - I'm not going to do concept art for your frost dragon or magical fire dragon or your average run of the mill skeleton suggestion... everyone knows what a dragon or skeleton looks like and you could easily google artwork for that.
    • No obviously copied from Dungeon Keeper clone suggestions - WFTO is it's own game, it's not DK3 so i'm not going to do concept art for your "it's not horny, it's just similar to horny" reaper suggestion.
    • I'll be doing this in my free time and I can't promise when your concept artwork will be done. Don't rush me :p
    • You are of course free to use my image in your suggestion thread (once it's done) as long as you give me credit for it (Something like: Concept Art by Nutter666 under the pic) and i'm free to use the concept art in a portfolio or on my blog if I want to.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    See next post for completed art and progress
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, if anyone is interested then let's see your suggestions. If not then I guess this thread will be buried pretty quick and in which case mods free free to delete it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    Antking, MarcelN, Evi and 2 others like this.
  2. Nutter

This post is for updating the list of suggestions i'm working on and suggestions i've completed

Completed Suggestions:
    Working On:
    To Do List:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Amon, Antking, Davetron and 2 others like this.
  3. Peetfighter

Peetfighter Augre Founder

I don't quite understand what you mean.
    Can you give an example of this?

4. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Dryad Backer

You know what, sure why not. Could you do a Headless Gaoler, all wrapped up in chains and possibly dragging some poor gutted schmuck on a hook?

https://forum.subterraneangames.com/threads/creature-headless-gaoler-room-gaol.1540/

have/take a crack at something
    to try to do something although you are not certain that you will succeed He didn't win the tennis championships, but he plans to have another crack at it next year.

5. Cultist Joris

Cultist Joris Ember Demon Founder

Draw me a sandwich! :)

Baalirock likes this.
  6. Nutter

I'll be putting up an example shortly (using my own Leech Suggestion from a while ago)

Creature/Room suggestions only :p sorry

Cultist Joris likes this.
  7. Cultist Joris

Draw me a sandwich bar! :)

EDIT: I'm going to suggest something serious, I'm just thinking how to explain it... ;)

EDIT²: @nutter666: I'm always dreaming of world made of candy, so why not a candy dungeon theme? (Maybe it's already suggested, if so feel free to link) So basicly imps made of candy (gingerbread imps?), walls made out of cake and so forth... ;)

Baalirock likes this.
  8. Mozared

Mozared Juggernaut Founder

A privileged position! I like this thread already.

I'll hold off on ideas for now though, I get to see plenty of internal art already. Nice thinking Nutter, looking forward to see some of the stuff you can come up with. Maybe you can lure @Bobby Rebholz in here for free advice ;)

9. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

I think this thread is fine where it is for now, I'm certainly eager to see stuff coming out of it.

https://forum.subterraneangames.com/threads/if-you-could-make-an-underlord.1331/

I'd be quite interested in seeing whatever most interests you from my old suggestion in the 2nd post in the above topic. If any of it interests you. Should be a nice place to start you off with something familiar and not at the same time. Of course if any better suggestions for your work come up then feel free to do them rather than mine, i'd rather see stuff coming from the community at large. :p

P.S. I'll ban you if you don't do it ;)

P.P.S JK

10. Nutter

Ok Here's an example for anyone who is having trouble understanding what i'm offering.

I suggested The Leech as a creature a while ago, I did some concept art for it then but ignore that for now. Looking at the suggestion and in particular the description of the creature i've created this piece of concept art.

Leech Concept (Ver2).png

Which the person who created the suggestion could then use in their suggestion post to help give a better idea of what they were suggesting. Basically i'm offering to take a look at your suggestion and draw my interpretation of it which you can then use in your suggestion if you like my drawing.

Noontide likes this.
  11. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Dryad Backer

Yeah, if you decide to do the Gaoler, feel free to make it look different, as long as it's headless and has chainhooks to drag victims. Artistic license is a wonderful thing.

12. Nutter

Here's a quick update on the Clockwork Imp so far - I'm out of motivation today and all this clockwork stuff has made me want to play Borderlands.

[​IMG]

Noontide likes this.
  13. theMarg0r

theMarg0r Dryad Backer

That looks like an autopsy picture from X-Com. :p Oh man nostalgia.

14. Evi

Evi Witch Doctor Backer

15. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

[​IMG]

WTB XCOM Dungeon Theme. ;)

That's looking awesome, you certainly have a talent. I cannot give you enough likes for this thread and all the fantastic arty stuff you do. :)

theMarg0r and Nutter like this.
  16. Nutter

Pixies are dangerously close to the "it's a cliche/readily available on google so i'm not going to do it" area... but meh why not. Added to the "To Do List"

Ok so hopefully i'll finish off the clockwork imp today and get started on something else.

17. Cultist Joris

@nutter666 you missed my suggestion... :D
    Awesome, thanks bro! ;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  18. Nutter

My apologies I did indeed miss your suggestion. I'm trying to avoid doing full dungeon themes for now since they're more than just one thing (and lots of work) but I'll add a gingerbread imp to the list :)

19. Nutter

Well I was hoping to get the clockwork imp done today, but after a torrent of messages from my friend pestering me to come Co-Op with him on Borderlands it seems destined not to be. I've struggled with the arms a little, but I think they're almost there now.

steamImp_3.png

EDIT - Did a bit more (image updated)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    Hugo and Evi like this.
  20. Nutter

After some trouble with the feet, it is my pleasure to present, a Steampunk Clockwork Imp.

steamImp4.png
    There you go Noontide :) (Anyone else think he kinda looks like a C3PO Imp too?)

Amon, Triscopic, mishko and 4 others like this.