• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Nutter's Concept Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcelN

Bloodling
Jun 13, 2013
That's cool, I like the claw that grows out of the... what is it ,anyways, what color is it supposed to be? Is it crystal? Leaves? Bark?
Haven't really figured out the color scheme just yet.. I kinda like the blue skin/red hair idea that Nutter had..

The "hair" on her body is more or less the hair that a bee has on it's legs.. that idea..

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Apologies everyone, i've neglected this thread a little for the past week (partially down to being unmotivated by still not knowing what the candyland core should look like, bust mostly because i've been busy with my flash project) but i'm back now!

I've decided to make the candyland core a Chocolate (Fondue) Fountain, possibly with Marshmellows floating it in, so i'm going to finish adding the Feeder character to my game, make sure he/she is working then I shall get back to doodling :)

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
My first attempt at drawing a slime monster.

View attachment 3483
Not exactly a resounding success...
Try playing more with hard edged brushes if you want to make reflection light on fluids. Another way to bring more depth and shadow in something partially transparent, is to have light on both sides is to have light reflect on the inside on the other side of the light source.
Example:
lightsource ---> reflected light --- shadow --- reflected light from the light that went through the substance

;)

edit:
I took the slime you made and made a few changes. I made the center and top partially transparant, and left the bottom mostly full colored. Most of the slime's weight would be condensed there afterall. I played around with the light and shadow to hopefully give it that slippery feeling.
Keep in mind, this is just a little suggestion to help you Nutter :) What I did was quick and dirty and without a tablet.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Try playing more with hard edged brushes if you want to make reflection light on fluids. Another way to bring more depth and shadow in something partially transparent, is to have light on both sides is to have light reflect on the inside on the other side of the light source.
Example:
lightsource ---> reflected light --- shadow --- reflected light from the light that went through the substance

;)

edit:
I took the slime you made and made a few changes. I made the center and top partially transparant, and left the bottom mostly full colored. Most of the slime's weight would be condensed there afterall. I played around with the light and shadow to hopefully give it that slippery feeling.
Keep in mind, this is just a little suggestion to help you Nutter :) What I did was quick and dirty and without a tablet.
Looks good! I'll certainly take your advice on board for my next attempt. Shame you took out the human trapped inside it trying to escape though. Lack of a tablet is no excuse though, I draw all my stuff with a laptop touchpad :p

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
Looks good! I'll certainly take your advice on board for my next attempt. Shame you took out the human trapped inside it trying to escape though. Lack of a tablet is no excuse though, I draw all my stuff with a laptop touchpad :p
A human trapped inside *peers at the drawing* Oh my, I indeed see now that the shadow is human shaped. My apologies for that!

With a touchpad? You draw with a touchpad?!
That's heresy.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
A human trapped inside *peers at the drawing* Oh my, I indeed see now that the shadow is human shaped. My apologies for that!

With a touchpad? You draw with a touchpad?!
That's heresy.
I can't use a tablet... I mean I do have one somewhere... but my hand/eye coordination has always been kinda lacking so I draw with a touchpad (or yes even a mouse sometimes) and rely on the eraser tools a lot haha

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
A JPEG file for a drawing. Are you kidding me?

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
I can't use a tablet... I mean I do have one somewhere... but my hand/eye coordination has always been kinda lacking so I draw with a touchpad (or yes even a mouse sometimes) and rely on the eraser tools a lot haha
True, tablets take some time to get used to. :) I used to draw with the mouse a lot.
Anyway, added in the person I'd forgotten! :D

A JPEG file for a drawing. Are you kidding me?
Nope. A tiny JPEG it is indeed. Everybody can open those afterall.
You want BMP instead? :p

Attachments

Feb 4, 2014
Netherlands
I have some experience with image editing too (see Dark Priestess) and I usually prefer PNG files. JPEG files are actually best used for photos of high quality.
I tend to only use PNG for images that actually have transparency. The same PNG image is usually larger in size compared to the JPEG equivalent. At least, from what I've observed so far.
Just went to find the image you talked about. Pretty good :D

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
The finished Slime :D

Slime_finished.png

I focused a lot on the idea of them being bio-luminescent since it would be just so cool to dig into a cavern and find these strange glowing slimes which wobble about quite passively and innocently until you attack them, then they go hyper aggressive and start chasing your imps around trying to absorb them. The one in the concept art represents a very high level one which has grown large enough to absorb an empire unit whole.

EDIT - Onwards to the Fossil Monster :D I've been looking forward to this one!

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Some progress on the Fossilized Monster (which I am currently calling the Skullpion)

Skullpion_3.png

Looks a bit dodgy because of the size right now (it'll be scaled down once i've added detail and stuff) but you can get an idea of the shape of this terrifying beastie.

EDIT - Updated the image (What do people think of the soul/spirit energy)

Last edited:

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Apologies for the double post (woulda been nice if someone had commented on the previous image but oh well)

I've worked on the shading of the Fossil Monster a bit to make it fit with the background and I think it's pretty much done now (unless I get the urge to rework the soul fire stuff)

Skullpion_4.png

I know @Davetron 's original idea was based around a Dinosaur, but I think a massive scorpion like beast is much cooler and more fitting with the WFTO universe (after all we don't even know if Dinosaurs existed within the WFTO cannon)

Nov 13, 2013
I was wondering, would you be willing to do the "theme"(wall,tile,dungeon core, emblem) parts of my underlord? I have the parts here. You can find the rest (if you want them) in the "If you could make an Underlord" thread. I would appreciate it if you also did the worker but he is optional since it is already a pretty large suggestion. Thank you in advance :D

This underlord was inspired by Hindu story Ramayana, which tells the story of of how Rayma recuses his wife Sita from the Demon-King of Lanka, Ravana. It more heavily is inspired by the depiction of Lanka in the game Dominions 4, which is home to multitudes of blood drinking, flesh eating demons who rule over a kingdom of semi sentient monkey people.
Underlord Name: Mandeha

Description: A powerful winged Monkey-Demon who wishes to devour the sun and plunge the world into eternal darkness. He is followed everywhere by a cloud of darkness that does not disperse for any source of light. His one fear is of fire, for it knows of his intent to destroy all light and burns him and his servants with great ferocity.

Emblem: A gold and red banner with the head of an ape centered upon it. The ape's face is brutish and has shaggy maroon mane of hair and pupiless black eyes. blood drips from his mouth, which contains large pointed teeth.

Heart Appearance: A series of large steps leading down (think of something like a step pyramid, but leading down instead of up) to a circular pit which devours all sources of light which draw close to it. This pit is a gateway to the Mandeha's realm. The steps are made of dark grey stone which shows the ingrained dark stains of centuries worth of spilled blood. All along the top step is a line of wooden tables and chairs where, monthly, Mandeha's demon servants hold the Feast of Flesh where 33 humans are devoured and their blood source, the heart, thrown into the pit of Mandeha as a sacrifice. Beneath the tables lie piles of cracked and broken human bones.

Worker Appearance:
small white-furred monkeys with crudely put together stone picks and a leather pouch slung over their shoulder which contains rocks. their movements are twitchy and fearful, prepared to run at a moments notice.

Wall Appearance: built of large and crudely carved blocks of obsidian. The walls are not dotted with torches, for Mandeha despises fire. instead, round, blood red stones that let off a dark red glow are placed in the walls at increments. each stone contains the soul of a sacrificial victim, whose blood powers the stones. If someone listens carefully, they may hear the tortured spirits mournful cries.

Tile Appearance: Dark Grey Stone with centuries worth of blood stains embedded into it. In places, one may come across discarded bits of flesh left over from blood feasts.
Link to thread:https://forum.subterraneangames.com/threads/if-you-could-make-an-underlord.1331/page-5#post-56499

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom