• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Obligatory Desktop Screenshot Thread (Image Heavy!)

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
its to bad there isnt a "do not like" button ;)
Haha you troll! :p..
Im a graphic designer, I am meant to love Mac computers but personally im not a fan at all, I can see small benefits of Mac though from a designer point of view, but over all cant agree because my Windows computer functions so much more quickly and is over all far more stable than any Mac ive used doing the same tasks the Mac was apparently meant to be better at?

This picture was my passive way at taking a crack at the whole silly whats better Mac or PC feud.. Was wondering what I might stir posting this lol.

Surely you mean Apple Mac and Windows Vista. I mean with the narrow taskbar, start button overlapping the side, xp style bars as opposed to 7 style icons. How can you not tell? :p
Lol, its Windows 7. Did you not know you can customise its settings and make it look more like the Windows Vista task bar ?
Lol Your desktop picture reminds me of a younger Kill Bill movie or something ?

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Lol, its Windows 7. Did you not know you can customise its settings and make it look more like the Windows Vista task bar ?
Lol Your desktop picture reminds me of a younger Kill Bill movie or something ?
Hmmm I knew that you could make the icons back into xp style bars, I didn't know you could shrink the taskbar back to it's Vista size though. Well you learn something new every day :p

Yeah I could see that :p

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Stupid Windows 8 startscreen! :mad:
What I read is that Windows 8 has been designed to work flawlessly and seemlessly on and over the personal computers, smart phones and tablets.
In other words, the aim is they should be able to eventually be able to share ALL files and ALL software uniting them all which oddly no other company has properly done yet.
The answer so far has been to re-write in different coding the different software packages for the 3 markets/platforms. Even though the programs are all there you just cant do some things efficiently between the different platforms and of course they all look and work in sometimes completely different ways..

Imagine being able to work on say a Microsoft Word document, save it, open it on your smartphone work on it well your heading to work on the train, open it again using the exact same Microsoft Word program and finalising it on a desktop computer at work then using it in a presentation on a tablet again with the exact same program?

Would work the same way with all computer games (obviously with restrictions of hardware) .. You wont need a Laptop anymore (funny enough, Laptops are becoming old and outdated machines of the past).. Take your smartphone with you to gaming LAN parties and hook that up to a television and use a Bluetooth mouse, controller or keyboard and play games with your buddies who are using desktop computers.

The Samsung Galaxy S II and III can already hook up to computer screens and televisions and apparently even be controlled with a mouse and keyboard via Bluetooth.
Theres a great deal of restrictions though because its not designed for a desktop computer solution.
Windows 8 has been designed for the devices to work completely together, they might not pull it off completely this round but thats what it certainly looks like its pointing towards.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
But that would also be possible if Windows 8 had different layout's on both tablet's and pc's...it surely works faster than 7 but it has a layout that isn't designed for pc's with mouse and keybord...the desktop pc (and laptop) is not dead yet, Microsoft seems to have forgotten!

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
But that would also be possible if Windows 8 had different layout's on both tablet's and pc's...it surely works faster than 7 but it has a layout that isn't designed for pc's with mouse and keybord...the desktop pc (and laptop) is not dead yet, Microsoft seems to have forgotten!
They are almost identical from what I seen which is a masterful idea as so many people use Desktops but are afraid to get smartphones because they are to "technical".. People should be able to very easily navigate through each device because of how extremely similar they are. I seen the Windows Smartphones they have been working on... Basicly just the Windows 8 start menu on a smartphone.
I think in the near future we can expect to see less and less of the classic Windows lay out and more and more of this start menu layout from Microsoft.
Because big corporation. Its all part of there human reprogramming scheme.
I AGREE

HEY LINK A NEW THREAD, WE ARE GOING OFF SUBJECT HERE!

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Still don't see the added value of a startscreen especially designed for touch devices...these are different to pc's (smaller screen, less precise touch control, etc.)

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Still don't see the added value of a startscreen especially designed for touch devices...these are different to pc's
All these devices are computers..

Androids end will come if they are not careful outsourcing their operating system, its already starting slowly, not all programs can run correctly on all smartphones and tablets.. There so many issues !!!

Apple Iphone will ether win greatly or fail greatly in the end, they design their stuff to only work correctly with each other forcing you in the end to only be able to get apple products. They hope to force people to eventually not be able to purchase from other companies and competitions.
Androids and Nokia etc will happily communicate files to each other. Apple Iphones almost always make it hard to share files to another brand. Apple has their own special app or program for this and that.. Its really quite malicious in my opinion. (you ever tried Bluetoothing to and from a Iphone and a Android?.. Doesnt happen)

Windows 8 hopes to stop this crap from ever happening and is trying to bridge the gap between all devices which would give them a wicked edge in this market in so many ways.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Off-topic:
All these devices are computers..
Correct and agreed...I don't say they are totally different because they all share the same purpose (more or less)...
The real difference is in controlling them: most pc's have mouse, keyboard and a larger screen...and that is why design fails for non-touch devices...

On-topic:
My desktop image since a couple of years... ;)
Fallout.png

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Actually one the features I have enjoyed the most in Windows 8 has been the new start screen, It gives me somewhere to dump all my shortcuts ;P It's quick and easy to navigate and lets you put things in categories. Windows 8's interface takes a little getting used to but it does work with a mouse and keyboard, a lot better than my first experience with it.

But there are flaws, I still use my start button to navigate my PC, though that's all i use it for. And I never want to start in the "Metro" start menu despite what Microsoft thinks, perhaps if I had more apps? Full screen apps can be pretty annoying though sure the charm bar to the left lets me switch between them but I don't think it's as intuitive as the task bar at the bottom the screen, i'd have been more set if my task bar was always visible if I wanted it to be.

Furthermore I had to download several third party apps to change things that I should have been able to do by default here's what I had to get:

• Stardock's Start8 - Replaces start button, lets you configure loads of options with how windows 8 works on desktop
  • Stardock's Decor8 - provides further customisation options for the W8 start menu e.g. changing the background to a custom image.
  • Oblytile - Allows me to create custom tiles for the W8 start menu, using my own image. If you add things to start menu normally they appear with their normal desktop icon and it looks pretty terrible. Why wasn't this a built in feature? I used it to put shut down on my start menu too because for god sake I don't want to have to click 5 buttons to do it.
There are some great things about W8 and stuff I enjoy and love to use, stuff I've been waiting for:
  • The Start menu is great for uncluttering my desktop, just hit my windows key and 1 click much quicker than the double click shortcuts too! Arguably looks prettier and more modern.
  • The OS itself is faster, applciations start up and shut down quicker it uses less memory and feels smoother than even 7, I was very impressed by how it performed.
  • It has inbuilt support for ISOs meaning no more third party application for opening them is needed
  • Ties into other Microsoft & Third party services such as live and skype really well, it's great to get calendar reminders from my phone on my PC, or get a message from facebook (which I use rarely :p) straight to my desktop.
But there are some issues with it as well:
  • The aforementioned need for third party applications to get an experience I would have expected to be included by default, big no no.
  • Full screen apps while not unpleasant are more difficult to navigate between than previously, though I guess i've not used the charm bar enough to get used to it.
  • UAC is even more intense, for the C Drive it cannot be disabled fully even if you do so in control panel, you have to edit your local security policy, but turning it off disables Windows 8 apps... You have to go through a convoluted process to take ownership of the whole C Drive before UAC will stop bugging you... the administrator...
I think it has potential though, if Microsoft can successfully merge the platforms they're aiming for and support tablets, pcs, phones and the Xbox well enough cross platform then I could definitely see it's place.
All in all W8 definitely has teething problems but I can see a future for it, Microsoft really need to make it much more friendly though, there are a lot of enjoyable features here and it works well but they've gone about it the wrong way and I hope they learn from it. I want to see more of this vision from Microsoft but there needs to be more of a view towards how to make it work on the different platforms they wish to support.
I'm not in any way averse to change, I can see the benefits of this but you can't change everything otherwise it just won't work in the desktop space anymore

Top Bottom