1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenKeeper! Dungeon Keeper 2 Opensource!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by mishko, Mar 21, 2016.

1. mishko

mishko Shadow Founder

A new project has come to light that has been in the dark for the last year and a half. It is called OpenKeeper. It is an Opensource remake of DK2 that will require having DK2 game. So it is essentially a KeeperFX for DK2 of sorts. I am super excited because it opens up the possibility of modding assets to DK2 way more easily and they eventually hope people will make new HD textures for the game. They have reverse-engineered a lot of the game already and has made tons of progress. This is like a dream come true for a lot of fans I'm sure.

https://keeperklan.com/threads/5114-OpenKeeper

https://www.facebook.com/openkeeper/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Medjay and Böhser Onkel [AUT] like this.
  2. Beneathar

Beneathar Matriarch

I wont ruin the thing, but messing with EA is mostly not really fun....

Anyways, the Idea is great.

3. Böhser Onkel [AUT]

Böhser Onkel [AUT] Templar

Looks awesome :D
    Hopefully it's more stabile and less buggy as the old DK2^^'

Do you know if it's a modification or a total conversion?
    I'm asking because I have the GoG Version of the game (it's the most stable on in my mind)

4. Xander

Xander Crackpot

The DK which had clipping issues lined out by 30 minions.

5. SADevil

SADevil Priestess Backer

Here's what they wrote about the project on GitHub:
    So they are making a new open source engine that will use DK2 assets and will make it possible to change or add anything to the game.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    mishko likes this.
  6. Noontide

Noontide Award Winning Community Manager Dev Team

This is very exciting for me as a player. I loved DK2 and I love the work that's been put into KeeperFX for DK1. I look forward to seeing this progress.

Not really either, it's a sourceport, or closer to a full remake of the underlying code based on careful observation. These tend to be bringing the underlying engine and code of the target game into the modern age, so you'd expect to see improved features in the final product (Think higher resolutions than 1920x1080).

In order to use it you'd have to have access to the game files, this means you have to own a copy of the game to use it. Good examples of this paradigm are GZDoom (Doom), Doomsday (Doom), KeeperFX (Dungeon Keeper 1), CorsixTH (Theme Hospital).

As these projects tend to be non-profit they usually avoid the ire of companies. Though that's not always true for example the Streets of Rage source port SORR was issued a C&D by Sega (Though that did come with all the game assets included) after many years of existence, it has since been continued by others. Honestly that one was good enough to have been brought on board by Sega and sold in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    BlueDragon and mishko like this.
  7. mishko

mishko Shadow Founder

Keep in mind that it is free and will require that you have the files for the game so EA or gog won't be losing money and like KeeperFX would classify as a mod instead of a remake most likely.

8. Nova Solarius

Nova Solarius Bloodling

Until it goes standalone, yes. Once it goes standalone, they could technically be attacked by EA, but at that point OpenKeeper could just remove the copyrighted stuff and be a game on its own.

9. mishko

mishko Shadow Founder

They don't plan on going standalone though. I asked them and they plan to always require the original files to play to avoid that.

10. Nova Solarius

Nova Solarius Bloodling

Planning, unfortunately, isn't absolute. They can change, they can fade from your thoughts, they can collapse before your very eyes. Just look at Hitler, to name a well-known example. I'm pretty sure he planned on winning WW2, but he didn't.

I'm not claiming that OpenKeeper will go standalone, just that once they do, if they do, they could get in legal trouble with EA. There's a lot that can't be planned for, even with modding. Especially with modding, since you rely on the work of others for your project's survival.

11. Xander

Xander Crackpot

They'll never make any money off this project because of the assets and copyright, so long as they don't have "Profit" in their plans regarding this project then EA probably won't rustle its feathers.
    They'll likely not be able to purchase advertisement for the project due to EA, but if you're not making a profit then advertising beyond forum and word-of-mouth would be a foolish endeavour anyway.

12. mishko

mishko Shadow Founder

Yeah they would literally have no reason they would want to go standalone with this project. And even if EA took it down after development is finished for some reason they can never take down what people already put on their computers ;)

13. Jackpot Winner

Jackpot Winner Firebreather Backer

I've been waiting for this for a very long time.

mishko likes this.
  14. Baracca

Baracca Chunder Founder

Iiiinteresting. Here's hoping EA and/or GOG.com won't crack down on it. Because yes, even if it would be considered more of a mod than a remake, and even if it requires for you to actually own the game, EA especially is known to sometimes attack mods and their makers purely because it gives their law-team something to do. People at GOG.com are a lot more okay with stuff like this, but one can never say for sure.

Amon likes this.
  15. mishko

mishko Shadow Founder

I think it will work in a similar manner to KeeperFX and they don't shut that down so I think it will be fine.

16. DeckerZ

DeckerZ Blood Imp

Hey Guys, where are we with Open Keeper? Is there a playable download available yet?

17. Böhser Onkel [AUT]

Böhser Onkel [AUT] Templar