• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Other] Dungeon Decorations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honn

Priestess
Dec 8, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I find neutral corridors with a torch every x steps to be kind of boring. It would be great if rooms (or perhaps minions) altered the look and feel of the area around them.

E.g. shelves, chairs, ornamental banners, etc would line the corridors near your rooms. The more rooms or creatures that are in an area, the more stuff can be seen there (up to a reasonable point of course, it could easily become to much). That would make the it feel more like its one dungeon, rather than just a series of rooms.

Yes, this is mostly eye-candy and I wouldn't go for it over actual gameplay, but imo it is one of those things that can make a great deal of difference in how polished the game feels.

Nov 6, 2012
I'd quite like dungeon decorations, like Dungeons did. Just some stuff to spend spare gold on to make things look prettier with no added affects ;)

Honn

Priestess
Dec 8, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Actually in Dungeons it did have added effect (the whateverhewascalled that you ran around with got stronger the more you had). That was part of the problem (heh, like Dungeons only had one problem...). In the end you just filled a room with the stuff because you needed it, not because it looked nice.

It was Dungeons that made me think about it, but I can't say I like how they did it. To much manual labor. I'd preffer it to happen on its own based on your dungeon or minions.

Dec 8, 2012
Agreed - I always like customisation options to make a dungeon feel more like your own, unique creation. I wish the optionsin Overlord had more of an impact than just banner colours and furnishing designs...

Robofish

Bard
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I'm all in favor of a more interesting looking dungeon. As for customization, it would work okay pre-game e.g. you chose in the main options a style or how cluttered you want your dungeon, should the developers chose to create multiple designs or whatever. In game however it would not work outside of My Pet Dungeon, as the player who is spending his time placing candles, messying up book shelves, and painting walls, is inevitably going to be crushed by the player who is instead focusing on amassing and training his army. Then again if you really did have a spare moment I guess it couldn't hurt to tweak a few things.

kyton786

Bafu
WFTO Backer
Dec 8, 2012
Washington,usa
i think you guys might be missing his point. the "stuff" is placed automatically by the minions not hand placed by the underlord. i for one like the idea. like if a the main corridor from the kitchen/hatchery had feathers or plates left over. or like avatar said having some books piling outside of the archive.

Honn

Priestess
Dec 8, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, imo it should be automatic, decorating on your own might be nice but thats a different thing. My suggestion here is more something that adds a bit of extra life to the dungeon. Books spilling out from the archive, random mechanical bits laying about in the corridors near a workshop, leather wips hanging on hooks on the walls near a torture chamber, etc.

Makes the place look used, like the creatures actually live and work there.

iggii

Chunder
WFTO Backer
Apr 15, 2012
Czech Republic
Some things could be placed automatically and some things could have manual deployment mode, so you can give some feel to your dungeon. And how about some water rivulets/streams/little leakage in some places near water-automatically deployed from walls along hallways?This could also work with lava. For starters as a nice eye candy, but if you can find more usage for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom