• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Other] Replacing dirt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nazgren

Templar
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
firstly, sorry for the lack of format but there wasent anything about misc stuff in the guidelines
secondly, sorry about the vagueness but i have no idea how this would work.
Basically, as the name suggests this would be all placing back dirt blocks on claimed path. on more than one occasion i have meticulously dug out my dungeun to look aesthetically pleasing and symetrical only to accidentally dig out the wrong block and not only messing up the look but often leaving a huge gap in my defence by preventing me placing a door or some other form of chokepoint. my first guess would be that this would be done by being made in the trap room or by a spell. there may be some blatently obvious reason that this was not included in the previous 2 games that i may be overlooking though, i cant see this being hard to do scripting wise or it being op in-game...

MeinCookie

Firebreather
Nov 15, 2011
This is why I prefered DK 2 gameplay. You had time to meticulously think out every move. Excellent time-sync. People disagree, obviously =P

This is also why a barricade mechanic is important, and why the functionality to create player built reinforced wall has been requested on more than one occasion. The best solution is of course just to plan out expansion more carefully. "Look before you dig," so to speak.

The way I personally would have this executed would be through a "loose rock" tile-mechanic. It takes far longer to break through than dirt making it a terrain obstacle, but also grants stone which can be used via the room tab to create an equivalent amount of reinforced wall on claimed tiles. This means it can't be spammed and also that it takes effort to acquire.

Another thing to be taken into account is whether reinforced wall is indestructible... which I can't remember if it is or not.

Nazgren

Templar
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
if i remember rightly in dk2 it was destructible in single player but it could be made indestructible by the host im MP. the idea of the loose rock tile mechanic souds good, but there wood need to be a good amount of rock... a 5x5 room if my maths is correct would require 24 blocks of rock to reinforce, and you would often have up to and over 10 rooms in your dungon, plus corridors, so you could need anywhere between 240 and 300+ blocks of rock in order to reinforce your dungeon.. and many maps arent that big.

Nazgren

Templar
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
do you mean that rather than there being the basic dirt gem and gold blocks there would be a 4th new kind of block or that you would get the loose rocks from digging the dirt blocks?

MeinCookie

Firebreather
Nov 15, 2011
Basically halfway between, Impenetrable Rock and Dirt Wall, yes. It could also double as terrain obstacle in taking a long time to excavate.

Nazgren

Templar
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
then what i said before should still apply. a 5x5 room would have a total of 24 blocks surrounding it to make up the walls, minus one for the entrance so that would be 23 blocks that need reinforcing. this would mean you need to dig out 23 loose rock tiles. assuming this would be on a 1:1 ratio with dirt your going to have to do dig a total of 46 more tiles to be able to reinforce it, and with the largest map on dk2 being if i remember rightly 108x108, you would need half the nap to be able to reinforce a single room.

what would be better would be to keep it on a 1-1 ratio with dirt, and have say 1-4 loose rock objects drop from each loose rock tile with them also dropping from gold, you then use say, 2 loose rock objects to reinforce a wall.
as for the replacing dirt tool i think that unless this became a pet dungeon only thing then we can consider that idea dead, the loose rock mechanic probably needs its own topic if we want it to become an official suggestion.

MeinCookie

Firebreather
Nov 15, 2011
I didn't mean that.

Walls are reinforced automatically and take no extra materials. Loose stone only comes into play if you try to construct 'new' wall on top of claimed tiles :), which is in essence filling in the gaps you accidentally excavated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom