• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Pet Hates in DK1 and DK2?

thefinn

Bloodling
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
EA published dk1 & 2?

Hrm wasn't aware of that, probably because of the lack of the usual EA title screen at the start, it always just had that bullfrog one.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
There is only two games since DKI that E.A has published that I liked:
  • Brutal Legend: This game was funny as hell (due to being a Double Fine game) awesome voice acting (Jack Black, Ozzy Osbourne and Tim Curry stand out) and great gameplay (Double Fine again)
  • Dante's Inferno: Great for those with anger management issues - just Punish everything. Good-ish voice acting (liked the guy who played Lucifer - don't know his name).

sorudo

Warden
Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
i like crysis and the command and conquer series but they killed the entire series since the release of C&C 3 and RA3, bullfrog is only one of the bunch taken over and ruined entirely, like westwood.

Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad
Hmm after recently playing through Dk2 campain again, I have to say "once-destroyed-gone-forever walls" was the most annoying feature by far (I feared Dwarves screwing up my base, more then the following assault!).

Also creatures getting sad about stuff (food, money etc) they didnt have, half a microsecond before they actually got it (looking at you *glares at the bile demon in the Hatchery).

Nowhere near as bad as the perma-destroyed walls but a small gripe (hence my love for 'recruiting' undead).
Great stress reliever though :D

thefinn

Bloodling
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Hmm after recently playing through Dk2 campain again, I have to say "once-destroyed-gone-forever walls" was the most annoying feature by far (I feared Dwarves screwing up my base, more then the following assault!).

Also creatures getting sad about stuff (food, money etc) they didnt have, half a microsecond before they actually got it (looking at you *glares at the bile demon in the Hatchery).

Nowhere near as bad as the perma-destroyed walls but a small gripe (hence my love for 'recruiting' undead).
Great stress reliever though :D
Actually, I'd have to agree with this, you sparked my memory and those were 2 of the biggest issues. I'm sure as the game will be moddable, people will work on spells etc to fix it - if it's not already in the game, and AI improvements should also come eventually.

Apr 1, 2013
Pet hates?
~Tried to sacrifice a set of creatures in the temple for a certain reward only to see that you picked up a creature you didn't mean to and ruin the combo.

~Getting a demon spawn to level 9 and then invading heroes manage to kill it before "dragon time"

Also to get in on the EA hate... they have won "Worst Company" for the second year running. You would think that they would take the hint and improve their customer base.

Feb 3, 2013
Innistrad
Another annoying thing I found replaying DK2, were some of the creature spawning ratios. FYI Do not build guardrooms unless you REALLY like dark elves!

-Or unless you plan on using my brothers favorite tactic (sacrificing lots of dark elves to create an army of trolls)

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Nearly everything in this thread is true, but I had to quote this one:

Another annoying thing I found replaying DK2, were some of the creature spawning ratios. FYI Do not build guardrooms unless you REALLY like dark elves!
I spent 2,5 hours in a game yesterday trying to get a well balanced army of '3 of each' minion. I lost count of how many level 1 Salamanders, Dark Elves and Warlocks I threw away.

Also, I do feel the need to add 'the combat pit' to this list. While it can be fun watching your minions rapidly evolve to a high level, that's about the only good thing about it. It's impossible to train undead creatures without paying CONSTANT attention to them, and even then level 4 Bile Demons have a tendency of hitting a level 6 Skeleton straight from 3 bars of health to 'gone'. And just as it's ridiculous that you can level one Bile Demon up from 4 to 8 with just three heals (because of his 9000 hit points), it's also ridiculous that leveling Warlocks or Dark Elves is nearly impossible because they die to any other creature within 3 hits. And don't even get me started on Imp AI. When I pour blood sweat and tears into leveling a warlock up to level 7,5, I should be allowed to rage when he faints and my Imps simply ignore his body until he dies.

Rezal

Templar
Backer
Jan 11, 2013
My pet hates would have to be the skirmish AI in DK2.
Seems like every time I attack a dungeon while playing a skirmish match all the creatures in that dungeon are leaving.

Blizzard

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I remember once I entered a level on Dk and there was a pre made game
with two very pissed horned reaper is some small miniature dungeons
and since this was my first time I just thought
" Aww look some red devil with giant scythe are sad ... I know I'll put them in my main dungeon with all my other creature and they can be friends " door bell rings I come back and my imps have all suddenly disappeared

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
I remember once I entered a level on Dk and there was a pre made game
with two very pissed horned reaper is some small miniature dungeons
and since this was my first time I just thought
" Aww look some red devil with giant scythe are sad ... I know I'll put them in my main dungeon with all my other creature and they can be friends " door bell rings I come back and my imps have all suddenly disappeared

yeah this level was quite buggy in my opinion... sometimes its easy to smash the Enemy since he is so stupid some times he comes with a crapload of high level creatures ... always hated/loved this level ^^

actually i do not know why everyone build extra dungeons for a horned reaper, he isnt quite as bad as people believe ... sometimes i make me 3 Horned reapers and let them happily live with the others o_O
the Obedience spell isnt even needed... just throw a random value of gold at him every 5-10 minutes and hes quite happy

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
the Obedience spell isnt even needed... just throw a random value of gold at him every 5-10 minutes and hes quite happy
He's indeed not quite a problem as long as you can keep him happy...but once he starts freaking out (killing everyone etc.) you (or at least I) never get him happy again...

Lord of Riva

The Lord
Founder
Dec 29, 2012
He's indeed not quite a problem as long as you can keep him happy...but once he starts freaking out (killing everyone etc.) you (or at least I) never get him happy again...

there is a good way to prevent any dmg from him... just pick him up, throw him at the enemies, begin to laugh because he rapes them and then he is happy again ;)

Top Bottom