• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Possession Leaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robofish

Bard
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I was actually coming up with a completely different elaborate idea for something that might make for an interesting level (which I may or may not also post later), when I also came up with this simple concept that would be necessary for it, but also a nice little ability to have while in regardless.

It is as simple as it sounds: just like you would select attacks an abilities whilst in possession, you can select possession leap (or spirit jump or whatever you want to call it) and instantly switch from possessing 1 creature, to another targeted creature under your control. The reason I propose this as well as just leaving possession and targeting a new creature, is that if you are in possession in battle and wish to switch creature it could save you vital seconds, as well as feeling more natural.

On top of that it could be used in the creation of some interesting levels where you are forced to use possession to win, and are unable to leave it.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
I think this sounds like a very neat idea (for some reason reminds me of swapping character in Lego Star Wars). I agree that it could make for some very interesting levels, sounds like a fun mechanic to me.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
That actually sound pretty neato, albeit the question would be which form of advantage direct possession would have for you in a battle.

Jan 3, 2013
I find it rather confusing than helping in some cases. You generally possess the strongest creature in hopes of dealing some insane damage. Now by switching you may accidentally switch to a wrong creature, thus risking your previous one if it wounded and doing pretty much nothing with new one.

As much as it may look nice, I can foresee problems player will be experiencing with this thing, starting with leaping into wrong creature and ending up with complete loss of control over the battlefield.

Robofish

Bard
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
I find it rather confusing than helping in some cases. You generally possess the strongest creature in hopes of dealing some insane damage. Now by switching you may accidentally switch to a wrong creature, thus risking your previous one if it wounded and doing pretty much nothing with new one.

As much as it may look nice, I can foresee problems player will be experiencing with this thing, starting with leaping into wrong creature and ending up with complete loss of control over the battlefield.
I can very much see what you are saying, but it's not something I foresee using on a regular basis. However but there are a number of examples where I think it could work well beyond what I have already stated. For instance If I'm possessing an imp near a battle I may wish to just get straight into the battle this way, or if there is creature grouping, then after you have formed a group you may wish to switch between the 3 or 4 creatures you have brought along to access their different abilities.

I didn't suggest this thinking it would change the way the game is played to any degree, but rather as a minor function that might be nice now and again, as well as adding something that could see some real use in custom maps (or even campaign ones) if people want to create a possession orientated level.

Jan 3, 2013
I can very much see what you are saying, but it's not something I foresee using on a regular basis. However but there are a number of examples where I think it could work well beyond what I have already stated. For instance If I'm possessing an imp near a battle I may wish to just get straight into the battle this way, or if there is creature grouping, then after you have formed a group you may wish to switch between the 3 or 4 creatures you have brought along to access their different abilities.

I didn't suggest this thinking it would change the way the game is played to any degree, but rather as a minor function that might be nice now and again, as well as adding something that could see some real use in custom maps (or even campaign ones) if people want to create a possession orientated level.
When it comes to custom maps, I completely agree.

As for regular game - if developers can make a simple way of switching targets while possessed and ability to restore back to previously possessed creature if player made a wrong choice.

theMarg0r

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Dec 28, 2012
Under a killing Spoon
Nobody said this would be some ridiculous gamechanger, and if you don't like it, don't use it, but yeah, it'd undoubtedly be a very cool thing to have. Still, if the devs have more important things to attend to, let them. I'm sure that if somebody wants to make a map centered around jumping possession, they'll find a way to mod it in. So let's remember this, it's just as much a suggestion to the modding community, as it is to the devs.

Tommonius

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 15, 2012
Wolverhampton

The thing is according to WTFO devs there are no weak fodder creatures and each creature has a role and there spells are to mean something and not jsu have rondom abilities where they make no sense so it is not like we have an uber creature we will always use in possession when we would more likely pick a differant creature depending on the situation.

So I like this idea a lot, of course you are right possessing the wrong one may be annoying but I supposeikin dk2 possession group mode it can give you a small picture of who you are targetting so you not make that mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom