• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Precise trap placement option

How to place traps compared to tile?

• Starting in the middle allow multiple traps on one tile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Place traps in a 3*3 grid on tile but only one per tile

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 5, 2012
UK
In the DD editor you could place traps on a 3*3 grid on each tile, however during normal gameplay only in the middle of the tile.
Do you think normal gameplay should include the option to place traps anywhere on a tile and have multiple traps on one tile, or just one per tile?

This deals with standard traps like DK not specific ones (see the discussions on the blade trap).
Also even with multiple tiles the lava and water traps would destroy the whole tile.

Jun 27, 2012
I think it should depend on the trap.

A less rigid system could perhaps be used for traps, some being placed on the walls and not the floors, and perhaps some placed on the seam in between two tiles such as a swinging blades trap.

Apr 16, 2012
I don't like the idea of placing multiple traps on a single floor tile though. Without even testing it I can already see trap stacking becoming a ridiculously OP mechanic. For example, stack 9 lightning traps on a tile and they'll stun monsters all day (probably even 1 hit the weaker ones :/). Tbh I think giving optional placement is adding needless complexity to a perfectly good system as well, it's a pointless aesthetic that I can't really see anyone dealing with. Thus 1 trap, 1 tile methinks :]

Aug 5, 2012
UK
I was thinking of like DK1, if there are multiple traps on a tile they are all triggered at once when that tile is triggered, the damage against the triggering enemy(ies) is larger but it is still the one hit per trigger and all the traps have one hit less after use as usual.

Apr 16, 2012
:/ It still seems overpowered. You can just stack traps continually in doorways which will just become terrible for the opposing player, especially if the walls are impregnable rock. If you can stack 9 traps on 1 tile then for each tile the monsters advance they have to kill what is essentially 9 tiles worth of traps each time - per tile. So you could theoretically have a hall of say, 10 tiles. Which is essentially 90 tiles worth of traps the opponent has to destroy. (Of course that would drain a terribly large amount of mana/ blood but whatever). I just think it's tedious and encourages turtling >.<

Kyle

Dwarven Worker
Nov 9, 2011
Scotland
The thing about DKI was most of the traps were small stub like things, they just had different effects. In WFTO all of the traps have specific meshes, functions and effects. The best example I can think of is: The boulder trap. This was a good trap because it had a unique function, and behaved in a cool way that made it interesting to use. We aim to have most of WFTOs traps be as interesting as this.

So due to their size and complexity I don't think it would look right or could be abusable if you could just spam a corridors tile with 4 traps per tile. The traps would have to be severely underpowered or they would just melt anything.

Jun 27, 2012
It would also be nice to really incorporate the various creatures in this as well, those that fly could be unharmed by a spike trap or anything that wouldnt reach their feet. Might not trigger any floor traps at all perhaps, but could still be hit by lightning traps or such if someone else triggers them.

I'd say more traps should be based on walls, maybe some even requiring a narrow corridor to be placed or requiring more than one tile. It would give more options.

Jun 27, 2012
Maybe there could even be a few specific traps to put behind a door, like a spiked ball on a chain being triggered when the door is opened.

Aug 5, 2012
UK
Idea: instead of a barricade trap make this the option for locked doors, to build/remove wooden planks from the door preventing the owner's creatures from using it and possibly raising the door's defence. This could be either a god game option or done by workers, discussion on this can move into doors thread.

Jan 22, 2012
Barricade traps still should be in game because their purpose was not to block creatures but block meele fighters and allow your minions to shoot from behind them at enemies

Apr 16, 2012
Barricade traps still should be in game because their purpose was not to block creatures but block meele fighters and allow your minions to shoot from behind them at enemies
omfg I spent so many years playing dk and I never thought of that -,- barricade traps were just things i ignored -_______________________________________-

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Well, I can't see harm in using something similar the DK locked door visuals. But if it is, you could have padlock symbol appear over the top of doors. Shooting though doors I guess could be cool but I'm not sure that it would necessarily make much of a difference in game-play to be honest

Top Bottom