• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

QWERTZ Keyboard layouts (or AZERTY,QZERTY, whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Vaernus said:
We can look into non-QWERTY keyboards but that would be more inline with development and not modding. I'd setup a new thread (if not already done) in the suggestions area.

So im exactly doing what he suggested :)

Again to make clear what this is about I, as German user , have a different Keyboard Layout as the standard US-Qwerty layout:

as you can see there are quite a few changes between the Layout and it can be a Major pain in the A** trying to write with a fellow german in an Ingame chat if these layouts arent Supported.
while some people may think: then just make Keybindings ! i have to say this is not as easy as you think:

1. Its totally Inconvienient if you want to play a game you you want good working shortcuts to the important functions. Its kinda confusing if you look at the tooltip of a building and the button shown as Shortcut is Y and you actually have to press Z. (it has an even stronger effect if you have a Tutorial where the Narrator says, Now Press Z to open your Vines tab (or so , just imagining things here)). for the most part this isnt the most Important part, since you can actually rebind the keys (even if it sucks if you have to do that from the beginning)

2. The most Important point is chatting, while you easily can change Keybindings (in most games at least) its not possible to change the associated Key for a specific letter.
there are some prominent examples, like Sacrifice, where everything i have to write is complicated, because i have to press Y for a Z and since im used to my Layout it comes out wrong 90% of the time.
Try to make a Teamplay with an english guy and saying him: "hez whz do zou do this ?"
in this case i have to correct my spelling which costs time, which may be essential.
And yeah its just damn inconvenient :p

QWERTZ layouts are used relatively wide spread over central Europe.
AZERTY is for the Francophone countries (and damn i feel with you guys its Hard enough to write things like ÉÂÒ on the QWERTZ layout :p)
QZERTY is the Italian Layout (but as far as i can see this isnt that widespread and im not sure how much work it is to implement this.)

Since im the Keeper of the List im Adding this Instantly (hehe :p )

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
There's also a difference between French and Belgian AZERTY keyboards... :confused:
This is a Belgian keyboard:
...and this is a French keyboard:

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
Not that I don't support the idea, but I really don't know why all you folks have to be so hipster about keyboard lay-outs. How in gods name is it more convenient to move one letter on a keyboard than to just get used to a QWERTY lay-out?

Also, as a lefty who mouses with his left hand and has his right hand usually hovering right above the arrow keys and thus needs to re-hotkey EVERY game he plays: deal with it :p

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Not that I don't support the idea, but I really don't know why all you folks have to be so hipster about keyboard lay-outs. How in gods name is it more convenient to move one letter on a keyboard than to just get used to a QWERTY lay-out?

Also, as a lefty who mouses with his left hand and has his right hand usually hovering right above the arrow keys and thus needs to re-hotkey EVERY game he plays: deal with it :p
It Depends on the Language you write, German and English have just some Letters that are used at different frequencies... Letters like öüä are not easily acessable on an QWERTY Keyboard.

If you Look at french ... this is even more complicated with their accents (if this is the right english term)

Why different Layouts? here are some reasons : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTZ

the Left/right handed point isnt a good example for this , since you use both hands to write (if you are any good at it :p)
Keybindings can be changed, Layouts cant.
(not that i am against a optional Left Handed Key Layout right from the start ;) )

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I don't see any reason not to support regional keyboard layouts if possible. I'd hate it if half my words came out with letters in the wrong place due to a hard coded layout.

In the meantime Dvorak.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
I don't see any reason not to support regional keyboard layouts if possible. I'd hate it if half my words came out with letters in the wrong place due to a hard coded layout.

In the meantime Dvorak.

what is this abomination ? ^^

can you really write with a thing like this? :D
and whats / or who is a Dvorak? ^^

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
what is this abomination ? ^^

can you really write with a thing like this? :D
and whats / or who is a Dvorak? ^^
Hehe, well it's a special keyboard developed by a company called Maltron, it's fully ergonomic apparently designed to relieve and treat RSI and other such pains.

They make a lot of great accessibility keyboards for specific cases for example the single handed keyboard or one finger/mouth stick keybaord.

Dvorak is a keyboard layout which also has a purpose, apparently it's meant to be better than qwerty but I have no idea :p

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Ahhh so that's why they call it QWERTY keyboard :p
I thought it was just an old fashoined nickname for it.
On Number 3 the UK has the £ sign.

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Dvorak is a keyboard layout which also has a purpose, apparently it's meant to be better than qwerty but I have no idea :p
Dvorak is what speed typists use, all the fastest in the world do. Qwerty is an artifact of when typewriters had arms and the layout had to work so the arms did not "clash", so letters that were often used together could not be too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom