• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Redundancy?

Sacred

Templar
Founder
Dec 17, 2012
Durham, UK
So I have just been called in for a compulsary meeting at work and been told I'm going to be made redundant :( has anyone else been through this recently and can they offer any decent advice?

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Don't dwell on it, try to stay positive, I know we have a crap Government at the moment, but I think we need a revolution.
Years ago my dad lost his Job working in Virgin Media, but as time went on he found a job and is still in it to this day.

Sacred

Templar
Founder
Dec 17, 2012
Durham, UK
Well I've got an interview on Thursday for a role within Commercial and HR fingers crossed! Am dreading having to go back on the dole though, not a nice experience at all!!

Varon

Templar
Founder
Jan 10, 2013
I do not have any experience with it. However, I would probably attempt to present arguments that I was still a valueable worker, with skills and initiative it would be hard to replace.

Naturally, the financial situation for many companies can make it essential to cut costs in some way. Workers tend to be a major source of expense. Provide suggestions for how to cut costs, backed up with facts and perhaps charts, and it might even result in a promotion.

Thesilentpie

Blood Imp
Backer
Jan 31, 2013
I do know how you feel bud. My position got made redundant when the financial crisis hit way back when. Our supervisors decided to make a list and grade everyone. I didnt make the grade and was deemed Surplus to requirements. It is a pretty shit feeling knowing that you didnt make it even tho you put more effort in, and you know you do a better job than others. I had 2 sick days in 4 years. compared to people that took 2 or 3 in a month.

What happened for me was i got with my peers and asked them, Why did they think i was surplus and they all agreed that it was unfair. they all backed me and helped, wrote statements etc. Then Blam, wasnt made redundant anymore.
I did however get a kewl nickname which has stuck ever since "Surplus".
Most people think the nickname is a downer but i like to think of it as a reminder that bosses dont always make the rite decisions. :)

Sacred

Templar
Founder
Dec 17, 2012
Durham, UK
Sorry for the lateness of my reply, they are closing the entire store down so theirs no option for me to continue where I'm at. I guess I'll be joining the millions of other unemployed 20 somethings at the dole office..... again! Its times like these that make me wish I never gave up my cushy office job to go to uni!

Sacred

Templar
Founder
Dec 17, 2012
Durham, UK
That's what you're doing now? Damn what a 5[-]17 job that must be, more like slavery then a contribution to the good of mankind :/
Well its a big change from being a business development project manager on a nice pay packet back to bottom of the ladder on minimum wage.

Amon

Ember Demon
Apr 14, 2012
Somewhere
subterraneangames.com
I know it sounds a bit hypocritical, but remember, it could always be a lot worse.

My father was in a serious accident last year, but, even though he wasn't at fault, he has been refused a sickness benefit, even though he can barely walk now. Do you know what the company at fault did? Said sorry, then left us to rot. So, it can always be worse, right?

Kronos

Ghoul
Backer
Feb 5, 2013
I too experienced this a couple years ago, my department was eliminated and I had to go out to another team and train my replacements. Thankfully only had to be unemployed for a couple months and then was able to find another job, much lower pay but it was better than nothing

Top Bottom