• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[room] Arc Heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
Preface: I have a tendency towards nonsense ideas and OTT everything, you have been warned, I suggest things because i can. Not necessarily to have them taken seriously.
Highlight: Essentially a second heart for your dungeon, however this comes with certain....requirements.
Vein: Sloth
Associated Units: Arc protectors.
Appearance: A huge artificial dungeon heart constructed via a twisted fusion of iron, dark magic and the bones of your sacrifices and enemies. The Arc Heart is slightly Frankenstein inspired and is primarily made of metal with various pylons and Arc(seewutidid)ing electricity between various pieces of it. Imagine a twisted electrified metal cage containing a mechanical heart surround by 4 eletrical pylons. Most of this would be constructed of metal with pieces of rune incribed bone here and there. Liberally slathered in the blood of sacrifices to.....oil....it.
Requirements: the Arc heart requires a large foundry, archive and sacrificialroomthingy. As the construction of the Arc heart will require a great deal of manufacturing, conjuring and sacrifice to be carried out. And simply purchasing the room tiles will not produce a room, it must be built in sections, ( like traps in DK ) layered with magic and infused with sacrifices once constructed.
Functions
THE PACEMAKER OF EVIL (lolno) - The function of the Arc Heart is to keep your dungeon going in the event that you lose your main heart, however this is not without its...limitations.
Bloodless - The Arc Heart is not a true heart and a dungeon being kept alive as it were by this foul device will find its blood supplies limited among other disadvantages,
Tesla coil - The electrical nature of the Arc Heart however means it has some capacity to....defend...itself when attacked....pieces of the damaged Arc Heart will break off as it is destroyed, held together by electricity and magic to form a kind of iron/lightning elemental. These Arc Protectors will reform with the heart and heal it fully if attacks against it cease. Will however require constant sacrifices....preferably of your enemy to keep running once your original heart is lost.

Props
Some electrical Frankenstein shit bro - various pylons and metal apparatus attached to the walls of the room, to which electricity can discharge.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Would be interesting as a mod...though it wouldn't directly fit in the original game (destroying dungeon heart is the only way one can lose)

Castigator

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
You mean something along the lines of an Underlord sized cardial pacemaker, to artificially prolong your life, so that you can carry out that last action to win the mission and recover from your wounds taken? Sounds interesting. I have no clue how this would affect the gameplay, though.

Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
Would be interesting as a mod...though it wouldn't directly fit in the original game (destroying dungeon heart is the only way one can lose)
That being somewhat the point. Much like many RTS you lose your main building you lose but you can have several, this however would be limited to one.

Also the preface, all my ideas are balls crazy.

You mean something along the lines of an Underlord sized cardial pacemaker, to artificially prolong your life, so that you can carry out that last action to win the mission and recover from your wounds taken? Sounds interesting.
Something to that effect yes, it'd be more of a multi player function, exorbitantly expensive, but give you the chance to fight back in some way.

I have no clue how this would affect the gameplay, though.
Thats the glory of this point of development, we cant really speculate on how anything would affect game play, since our reserve of knowledge isn't that high. I just suggest the random things that float through my head.

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
WFTO Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Much like many RTS you lose your main building you lose but you can have several, this however would be limited to one.
In Company of Heroes the HQ is repairable after destruction (English HQ is even mobile), and that didn't ruin the game at all... As a multiplayer feature or even modded SP-maps it would be a nice alternative gameplay... ;)

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Troll Heart is best heart.

Love the concept of being able to stay in the game even after your heart is destroyed, it has a good downside to balance it out. Personally I just love it because it means I can build the Arc Heart somewhere miles away and troll my opponent for at least another 30 seconds :p

I think the biggest problem though is chances are you'd exhaust all your resources defending your main heart, leaving the arc Heart vulnerable, all you do is extend the game until they can come and crush you.

Jan 4, 2013
Lancashire, UK
It was only the once. And in the end i trolled myself by not knowing it was set to killing HQ = win. So i killed all the rest of your stuff instead and lost.

I think the biggest problem though is chances are you'd exhaust all your resources defending your main heart, leaving the arc Heart vulnerable, all you do is extend the game until they can come and crush you.

Depends how much of your resources you can apply to a problem like you hear being under siege, if you cant apply it all at once you could well be left with reserves. If the maps end up balls huge and money enough to build multiples of rooms, effectively a second dungeon, it could be manevured into a save.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
well .... back to topic XD

i Like your Idea (if it is sloth only) BUT i dont like the part where you have "two" Hearts at the same time.
If an enemy comes to your heart, most likely you will die and never become strong enough to fight back.
with two hearts you COULD prevent that but for what reason? If the enemy crushed your first heart why should he stop to rofl stomp you?

It could work as an Armor Upgrade for the hearts though (it may not worth the vein points) but a Metal Armor for the heart and maybe a way to fight back with lightnin bolts or something sounds fine (even if risky... )

Since the Sloth vein specializes on Traps you could try to weaken the enemy on the way to your heart and fight him with your army near it to crush him.

well anyway, will add it to Rooms ;)

sorudo

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
a different heart all together is not such a good idea, upgrading your heart however is.
something like adding magical turrets on the base of the hearts pillars or adding a shield of blood, they can always make it a choice of" ether one or the other, not both"

mechanicalmouse

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Feb 23, 2013
I rather like the idea of being able to have a secondary heart, so much so I'd thought of something similar. However your frankenstien heart is much better than my idea.

C&C have had secondary bases for a long time, I don't think in terms of WftO it would alter the dynamic, specially if there is a high build cost involved.

An alternative idea is a fake/decoy heart that has less hit points as a real heart, but allows you to send your enemy on a wild goose chase.

mechanicalmouse

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Feb 23, 2013
Also depends on size of map. C&C large maps having a second base of operations allows you to recover from a near defeat, but again all depends how the devs want the game to play.

Jun 23, 2013
I agree that a second heart does more to degrade the game than to promote it, but I did see a suggestion for a 'Transplant room' that could be used to mave the heart once per mission. The option to move the heart, possibly narrowly avoiding destruction, cover the strategic possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom