• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Room] Dark Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFW

Priestess
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
I posted this idea on the KK forums the very day you guys made the switch to Sub Games. :D

Name: Dark Hospital (Alternative names: Asylum, Laboratory, Dissection Room)

“The Dark Hospital. This is not a place of healing. This is a room of pain and suffering, all in the name of science. Your Scientists will make good use of this room, Keeper, for your and their benefits...”

Stats:

Buildability Yes
Cost: Around 300-350 each

Information: Many creatures fear the horrible fate of being ripped apart in the name of science in the Dark Hospital...
The Dark Hospital will also attract Scientists.

Function: The function of the DH needs to be divided into 2 sub-categories:

-Experiments: Dropping an imprisoned creature into the Lab will cause a nearby Scientist to slowly and painfully tear it apart, all while noting down the strange things he finds.

This is how you unlock "Research".

Research functions similar to the Spells and Trap/Door tabs, except each Research you unlock provides a constant, passive, buff to your dungeon.

An example of Research would be the "Mistress Pain Behavior" research, which requires experimenting on Mistresses. The Mistress Pain Behavior research will greatly decrease the time it takes to convert enemy Mistresses, via the Torture Chamber, to your cause.

Another example would be "Spider Fire Vulnerability", which requires experimenting on Spiders, causing enemy Spiders to receive extra damage from fire based attacks (note: Not lava).

Each creature that died in the experiments will leave behind a pile of flesh. which is required for the second function...

One important note: I think that being able to research on your own creatures could potentially be a game-breaker as it would allow you to get all the Research in early-mid game (there's me talking in RTS speak again) I want Research to be designed so that in the average ~1 hours 1v1 match, you would unlock around 7-10 Research (making Research semi-rare, like Dark Angels). At the same time, being able to experiment on enemies ONLY will dramatically decrease your chances of getting Abominations (see below). Thus I propose experimenting on allied creatures will provide the Piles of Flesh, but not the research. Experimenting on an enemy, however, will provide both.

-Abominations When a Lab has collected enough piles of flesh (3-6?), a Scientist will 'use' the flesh to create a creature known as the Abomination. The chances of successfully creating an Abomination is determined by the Scientist's level:

At level 1, the Scientist has a 35% chance of success, each level up increases this chance by 5%, where it caps at level 10 with an 80% chance.

Wall Decoration: The walls are white tiles, with blood stains splattered here and there. There are shackles every third tile but these serve no use.

Appearance: White tiles, blood stains, there is also a table placed on every tile surrounded by either border/wall tiles or tables. (the same way torture devices are placed in torture chambers)

See also: Scientist, Abomination

Hugo

Concept Artist
Brightrock Games
Nov 14, 2011
Spain
A room suggestion! The most difficult ones.
This does not sound bad. I don't know if there is going to be a technology tree, but if there is, then this way of research could unlock some specific branches of it.
Also the name is not enough "dungeon-esque" to me. Maybe something like "surgery room", "dark laboratory" or "meat chamber"? I don't know...
Using it at the cost of creatures seems like a fair drawback to me. Also the abominations are interesting. Not sure about the scientist, maybe liches might be attracted to this kind of research... or other sort of necromancer...
Still needs work, or maybe a re-concepting, but is a good take on a room design.

TheOddOne

Spirit
WFTO Founder
Nov 18, 2011
I like this idea! Passive upgrades weighed against (if the option is still around) tortured&turned creatures (or your own!). I agree with the re-naming of the room and associated creature... but I have no good ideas at the moment.

I like the sound of something with "butcher", or another equally-visceral sounding word. Thesaurus anyone?

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
Hehe sadistic experimentation is interesting lol, lots of that in first person shooter Quake 4 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_4 ), where the evil alien Strogg captured humans and cut them open and removed vital organs to see how long they would survive with out them to prepare humans for harvesting and cross replication, truly repulsive and horrific sight in the game. But the problem I feel stands, how can you do this in a almost humorous way (like the torcher rooms in Dungeon Keeper which uniquely torchered its subjects in its own ways, the room in Dungeon Keeper 2 was not as affective in my opinion because it lacked the creativity and humor). As I explained in another post Visuals under WTFO General Discussion to much gore in my opinion will eventually take from the humorous edge Dungeon Keeper had.

LFW

Priestess
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
Hehe sadistic experimentation is interesting lol, lots of that in first person shooter Quake 4 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quake_4 ), where the evil alien Strogg captured humans and cut them open and removed vital organs to see how long they would survive with out them to prepare humans for harvesting and cross replication, truly repulsive and horrific sight in the game. But the problem I feel stands, how can you do this in a almost humorous way (like the torcher rooms in Dungeon Keeper which uniquely torchered its subjects in its own ways, the room in Dungeon Keeper 2 was not as affective in my opinion because it lacked the creativity and humor). As I explained in another post Visuals under WTFO General Discussion to much gore in my opinion will eventually take from the humorous edge Dungeon Keeper had.
The one downside :(
Maybe you wont see anything. Creature is strapped to table, Doctor Frankenstein (whom I based the Scientist off) comes in, closes the curtains (and a ceililing-curtain-thing) then you hear screams for a while. I dunno.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
What about the scientist uses thee animation of the nazi scientist in Return to castle Wolfenstein when he interrogate the agent
Actually thinking back maybe not

Nazgren

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2011
if were trying to cover up gruesome butchery and experimentation with humour then we should turn to the game which has done this best. Theme hospital, for example, when they have the head inflation disease and you pop it and re-inflate there head. just make it appear funny while still being obviously butchery.

you could try and hide what is going on from the rest of the creatures in your dungeun and if they find out then they loose a large amount of happiness, enough to make all but the most content rebel. could add on another aspect and a slight nerf to the bonuses.

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
if were trying to cover up gruesome butchery and experimentation with humour then we should turn to the game which has done this best. Theme hospital, for example, when they have the head inflation disease and you pop it and re-inflate there head. just make it appear funny while still being obviously butchery.

you could try and hide what is going on from the rest of the creatures in your dungeun and if they find out then they loose a large amount of happiness, enough to make all but the most content rebel. could add on another aspect and a slight nerf to the bonuses.
You know I think I could see that working. Could have arms dislodged and sewn back on and all sorts. Ouch that sounds nasty >.< ... Interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom