• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Room] Necromancer's lab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skaro

Gnarling
Jan 22, 2013
This room would replace the DK1 graveyard.

The Lab would have a central cauldron with a mysterious green liquid in it (located in the central 3x3 part). Around the cauldron we would have rows of meathooks with corpses hanging from them. Your imps store the corpses of fallen creatures on these meathooks.

The player can pick up corpses and drop them into the cauldron much in the same way you dropped creatures into the DK1 temple. When you have the desired amount of corpses you can click the cauldron again and you can select what type of undead creature(s) will crawl out.

You could make some general combo's:
1 corpse = 1 skeleton (dropping in 10 would create 10 skeletons)
3 corpses = somewhat tougher undead (zombie?)
10 corpses = vampire

You could have all sorts of special combinations here, but it shouldn't be limited to just how many corpses you have. Here's some examples:
- You could throw in a corpse along with a living creature, you could imbue a living creature with undead properties
- Certain corpse combinations from different creatures could yield different results (undead variants, Frankenstein type monsters, specialized creatures, etc)
- Casting spells on the cauldron might create certain special types of magical undead

Just some ideas, what do you guys think?

G

Greensage

It's not a bad idea, so, if I understood, the big differences with graveyard would be:

-you put corpses in a cauldron after they were brought
-you choose the wanted creature among others with the number of corpses
-you influence the creature with corpses you have put in the cauldron

Nevertheless I think :

-it's maybe complicated to make an interaction with corpses between the imp corpse bringing period (impregnable corpse I suppose) and hung corpse period (corpse which you can take), if you can take a corpse and you drop on the ground, can you pick again ? Or have the imps to take again the corpse ? It's just a facet of this interaction. the passive effect of graveyard hasn't this problem.

-In fact, i believe you mix graveyard and temple, you use graveyard's corpses in a temple's well, perhaps with the difference that you can "imbued" undead properties, or make creatures influenced by corpses, but these two last look like complicated too.

Skaro

Gnarling
Jan 22, 2013
It could be retooled into anything, even without the special magic stuff.

I just think that having a graveyard with headstones in the underworld is rather out of place, better go the hellraiser route with meathooks or atleast build a catacomb of some description.

Fireeye

Augre
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Ze Germany
I think this idea would work excellently with the Flesh Monster thingie that was posted some weeks before - simply put, the Necromancer's lab could attract...well, Necromancers, which in turn can create one Flesh monster per individual. Personally, I also found the graveyard underground somewhat strange - it should either be a catacomb or some Necromancer's lair where there bodies are ferried to.

Kelphy

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
I like the idea, but I wouldn't like it if you got to choose your creature. It should always be random unless you do the whole, throw in 1 body get a weak one.. Throw in 2 get a stronger one etc...

The undead would have to be weak unless it took a lot of corpses to get a creature. Just think about every 2 monsters you kill into that pot.. You kill at least 30 monsters a mission, so that would already be 15 new creatures.

It is a good idea, a very good idea in fact, long as it's executed in the right way.

But it also comes down to this: Would you find it enjoyable when you're constantly watching over your minions, feeding them, keeping them happy, being at war with the enemy, while throwing corpses into a cauldron. Just seems like it would make the game a little frustrating, at least that's my opinion. That's the only down side though to me.

Jan 3, 2013
I agree with you, it's odd to have a graveyard in a dungeon. twelve feet under :rolleyes:
Crypt keepers would like to have a talk to you, probably give you a nice tour over their place.

If we get this, then graveyard won't be used/needed. On the other side, graveyard could do all this automatically - imps would drag corpses to it and random magic would do the rest.

G

Greensage

Crypt keepers would like to have a talk to you, probably give you a nice tour over their place.
if memory serves me well, there are gravestones planted in a kind of soil with a mist as on dry land, and in my idea, i think weird it wasn't a sort of sepulchre.

Lex Talionias

Dwarven Worker
Feb 10, 2014
i like the hellraiser approach, here is my suggestion to make it work. the CRYPT is for storing bodies as necromancers labor to raise them in their lab. prisons are set to holding -for creatures waiting to be tortured, 'occupants' slowly regen health-, starving -to ensure they die where you can collect their bodies- or some other foul fate. prisons would no longer directly produce skeletons.

the lab works as thus 3x3 produces a small prop enough for 1 or 2 necromancers to work (increasing in speed with more necromancers working). larger rooms produce a larger prop which in turn can be used to create stronger creatures.

3x3 - skeleton
4x4 - goul
5x5 - undead giant
6x6 - ???
(could merge 4x4 into 5x5 or 3x3 if the game engine wont allow it, and 6x6 into 7x7)

vampires could be kept separate, attracted by a crypt and can turn human or elvish creatures captured in your prison. crypts serving as vampires lair as well as storage for corpses, with vampires counting to creature limits?

maybe an additional 'soul trap' room that would (to a degree) increase the total number of non-vampire undead that can be maintained, requiring some sort of upkeep in the form of gold and/or creature labor.

this could make it possible to have more versatile prisons (i hate wasting mana and time keeping the wretches alive while my torture chamber is full) as well as unlocking a more 'lord of the dead' play style.

Lord Proteus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Mar 8, 2013
I like the idea of Room's that are there to attract/create certain kinds of creatures. I think War for the Overworld could use more such rooms for flavor and style, I mean, what if an Underlords wants an army of the Undead? Or Demons? The Beast Pen is all ready like this, it's there to attract Beasts and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. This was the idea with my Demonology Lab, and later, the Chamber of Elements I'm going to post soon. I see a lot of people shooting down suggestions because "too similar to what's in the game!" but they choose to overlook, or perhaps just genuinely don't realize, that there are all ready some redundancies in the game, but they're there for flavor. Dungeon Keeper had plenty of creatures that served no purpose other than to just be of a different style and appearence to the other minions.

The Necromancer's Lab, though perhaps it could use another name, would be a good way to focus on Undead, or perhaps "constructs" in general.

i like the hellraiser approach, here is my suggestion to make it work. the CRYPT is for storing bodies as necromancers labor to raise them in their lab. prisons are set to holding -for creatures waiting to be tortured, 'occupants' slowly regen health-, starving -to ensure they die where you can collect their bodies- or some other foul fate. prisons would no longer directly produce skeletons.

the lab works as thus 3x3 produces a small prop enough for 1 or 2 necromancers to work (increasing in speed with more necromancers working). larger rooms produce a larger prop which in turn can be used to create stronger creatures.

3x3 - skeleton
4x4 - goul
5x5 - undead giant
6x6 - ???
(could merge 4x4 into 5x5 or 3x3 if the game engine wont allow it, and 6x6 into 7x7)

vampires could be kept separate, attracted by a crypt and can turn human or elvish creatures captured in your prison. crypts serving as vampires lair as well as storage for corpses, with vampires counting to creature limits?

maybe an additional 'soul trap' room that would (to a degree) increase the total number of non-vampire undead that can be maintained, requiring some sort of upkeep in the form of gold and/or creature labor.

this could make it possible to have more versatile prisons (i hate wasting mana and time keeping the wretches alive while my torture chamber is full) as well as unlocking a more 'lord of the dead' play style.
I'd call the "Undead Giant" the "Flesh Hulk" or "Flesh Reaver" or something to that effect, and I'd make him something like picture related.

It might also be beneficial to have more than just the Necromancer working in the lab, though the Necromancer is the most adept, the Cultist, Succubus and Crackpot could also contribute.

Attachments

Lex Talionias

Dwarven Worker
Feb 10, 2014
I'd call the "Undead Giant" the "Flesh Hulk" or "Flesh Reaver" or something to that effect, and I'd make him something like picture related.

It might also be beneficial to have more than just the Necromancer working in the lab, though the Necromancer is the most adept, the Cultist, Succubus and Crackpot could also contribute.
yeah but you get the idea :D

i would like the option for an undead foundry worker of some description and an undead only or dominated play style would need something to stop you pulling a bunch of living minions to cap out your portal limit for the extra power... maybe soul traps can only be built on portals or somehow 'take up' your creature limit... with something like vampires and necro mancers being needed to maintain your undead army but being such greedy @!$# that they cost about as much as a regular army would. there would also need to be some way of 'farming' bodies over time if you wanted a 'pure' undead play style with no filthy living creatures polluting your undead nirvana... (except of course necromancers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom