• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[room] Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
This time I'm suggesting a room that has no direct relation to a specific creature but is meant as a portal for the undead and thus makes the graveyard unnecessary.

Name: Nexus

Buildability: yes
Cost: high

Information: The Nexus is a replacement for the graveyard – but it’s more than that. As a magical portal to the world of the undead, it’s a powerful device that allows the keeper to create a custom army of various undead entities.

Function: The Nexus’ function is as effective as simple: The bigger the room, the more corpses can be sacrificed on the stack. The more corpses have been sacrificed, the more powerful undead may enter your dungeon through the Nexus. By opening or closing the Nexus the keeper can choose he wants to start summoning. When opened, the Nexus will summon the undead automatically.

This is an EXAMPLE how the corpses-undead-ratio could be (dependig on their strength):
4 corpses – a gargoyle (or whatever)
6 corpses – a vampire
8 corpses – an archlich

Wall Decoration: big green glowing cryptic symbols

Appearance: The Nexus consist of a circular immersion surrounded by tall, curved spikes.
When it’s closed, corpses can be placed in the middle of the immersion where their flesh and bones are transformed into dark energy which gets absorbed by a force field between the spikes.
While the immersion is opened, no corpses can be placed there. The spikes are glowing green and sending lightning into the whole to indicate that an undead creature is summoned.

I’ll try to draw the Nexus both opened and closed when I have the time.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
I really like this idea and is in my oppinion better than the Graveyard :)
But I think the gargoyle hate undead and is not one of them

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
I was quite a fan of the Graveyard myself. I liked the fact that the undead was almost a creation of the Dungeon Keeper himself (you).

Maybe just have quite a few rooms, nobody will complain about extra content...

Skeleton - Prison
Ghost - Torture Chamber
Mummy - Tomb
Vampire - Graveyard
Archlich - Sacrifice a Skeleton, Ghost, Mummy and Vampire in the Temple to unleash the true power of the undead! :cool:

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for you very much for your comments so far. The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the Nexus is more evil than a graveyard by nature. Why should you even provide fallen heroes a proper grave instead of sacrificing their corpses for such a purpose? The graveyard seems too kind to me^^
However, I think a Skeleton Dragon is a bad idea because dragons generally are for this kind of game. Dragons are too big and powerful for a subterranean dungeon. Skeletonized on top they would look too fancy and way beyond the limits for the game's proper structural fabric.
Also, @amcoops: Your comment assumes that any of these rooms you named and their functioning was already affirmed for WFTO. But that's not the case because it's not Dungeon Keeper. Some fresh ideas will contribute to it's development way better than that old stuff which, additionally, would seem to be directly "copied" from Bullfrog (i. e. EA).

Feb 9, 2012
I think a Skeleton Dragon is a bad idea because dragons generally are for this kind of game. Dragons are too big and powerful for a subterranean dungeon. Skeletonized on top they would look too fancy and way beyond the limits for the game's proper structural fabric.
I do not agree with the "it's too big and doesn't fit" thing. If a dragon is going to belong anywhere (esp an undead one) it belongs to an evil underground empire, and if its too big it can always be shrunken down, so its not completely undo-able. And if not a skeleton dragon, I would still like some huge twisted abomination that spawns after sacrificing several large and high level creatures.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Thanks for you very much for your comments so far. The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that the Nexus is more evil than a graveyard by nature. Why should you even provide fallen heroes a proper grave instead of sacrificing their corpses for such a purpose? The graveyard seems too kind to me^^
However, I think a Skeleton Dragon is a bad idea because dragons generally are for this kind of game. Dragons are too big and powerful for a subterranean dungeon. Skeletonized on top they would look too fancy and way beyond the limits for the game's proper structural fabric.
Also, @amcoops: Your comment assumes that any of these rooms you named and their functioning was already affirmed for WFTO. But that's not the case because it's not Dungeon Keeper. Some fresh ideas will contribute to it's development way better than that old stuff which, additionally, would seem to be directly "copied" from Bullfrog (i. e. EA).
Fair enough, I can see how that might have come across. I just think change should not be forced, don't change it because "it's like Dungeon Keeper". There was no real flaw in Dungeon Keeper's method of acquiring the undead, the only possible flaw I can see is that it could be expanded, on DK's foundation. Adding a "Mummy" as a creature and the "Tomb" as a room is doing just that, the Archlich is confirmed I think but the acquisition of it is not. Sacrificing multiple undead is a good way of introducing them in my opinion because it's almost like you're combining the power of the "lesser" undead.

Your idea of the "Nexus", while being unique, is simplifying the process of acquiring a variety of undead, a one room produces all method.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
Your idea of the "Nexus", while being unique, is simplifying the process of acquiring a variety of undead, a one room produces all method.
You're correct about that. Whether or not the Nexus is a good idea in the end depends on how much focus is put on undead in WFTO and the developers' personal opinions. So we have to wait for these questions to be answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom