• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Room] "Storage" Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
This is a rather bizarre suggestion, but hear me out, I guess. (Don't all the strange suggestions open like this? :p )

Remember how in DK1 and DK2, if you found a special, it would go straight to the Library? Why the Library, exactly? I suppose it gave the Library an additional use after everything had been researched. The workshop held the traps that were just sitting there waiting to be placed, or waiting to be dragged by an Imp into their proper location.

A Storage Room, however, could be useful to house such things, well away from the rest of the dungeon. It could specifically be a room to drag such things out of the way of the rest of the dungeon so if a breach did occur and rooms got taken over, it could be one additional measure you could take to safeguard your traps-yet-to-be-placed and dungeon specials from thieves or disgruntled creatured. It's basically an actual reason to lock a door behind items.

It might even be able to store things from the Hatchery, as a reserve in case creatures eat too quickly and it empties out.

Also, anything placed on it would be placed into the save file's memory. Vastly overflowing gold supplies in your treasury, for example, can be dumped into the storage room. It's not quite a treasury, as the gold there doesn't assmble into actual counted piles of gold, but it can still be used to back up your gold supply in a pinch.

The room might even unbalance the game, if used like that. Perhaps the room might have other uses that haven't been thought about yet. Hm.

Jan 3, 2013
If room is too small, you expand it.

Storage room should have a special use, not just for storing stuff, because normally you can simply make your existing room larger instead.

Robofish

Necromancer
WFTO Founder
Dec 1, 2012
Surrey, laughing at how rubbish Sussex is.
If room is too small, you expand it.

Storage room should have a special use, not just for storing stuff, because normally you can simply make your existing room larger instead.
Agreed, current storage methods work fine, besides which it would be one of those rooms I would never want to build out of sheer blandness :p

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
That's what I keep thinking to myself as well. Blandness.

I am actually quite fine with either argument. "If a room is too small, expand it." Although, often times, the resulting expression is "expand it into what?" Another room? :p I once carved out a gargantuan 150x150 room (Not actual size, but you get the point) with absolutely no walls inside of it, plopped down the rooms there, and it worked just fine. I "expanded" where necessary, and all my creatures could get wherever they wanted very quickly.

But if one must insist on walls, and doesn't have a lot of real estate, then a single storage room serves as a multi-purpose room. Can't store one's specials in the Workshop, or one's gold in the Library or one's traps in the Library either. But baby, the storage room does it all. AND it washes yer potaters for some reason.

Jan 3, 2013
That's what I keep thinking to myself as well. Blandness.

I am actually quite fine with either argument. "If a room is too small, expand it." Although, often times, the resulting expression is "expand it into what?" Another room? :p I once carved out a gargantuan 150x150 room (Not actual size, but you get the point) with absolutely no walls inside of it, plopped down the rooms there, and it worked just fine. I "expanded" where necessary, and all my creatures could get wherever they wanted very quickly.

But if one must insist on walls, and doesn't have a lot of real estate, then a single storage room serves as a multi-purpose room. Can't store one's specials in the Workshop, or one's gold in the Library or one's traps in the Library either. But baby, the storage room does it all. AND it washes yer potaters for some reason.
Some maps may have little territory on purpose. This provides different kind of gameplay where player must manage his space very wisely or else he won't be able to maintain his dungeon.

Storage room would make things way too easy, and most of time player will be expanding storage room only, keeping the rest at 5x5 max. I believe in cases where simple expansion is not enough, player can always build another 5x5 room of the same type and cover it's dungeon's needs.

sorudo

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
building my dungeon
it can only be useful of the room gives you a good benefit, if it's just to store stuff then it really has no good use.
just expand the room and you're done, making another room to do the same thing is only waisting money.

a good use would be if the room takes 2X longer to take over and makes everything in there more powerful, like a trap stored in the storage makes the placed trap 25% more powerful for instance.

Jan 3, 2013
it can only be useful of the room gives you a good benefit, if it's just to store stuff then it really has no good use.
just expand the room and you're done, making another room to do the same thing is only waisting money.

a good use would be if the room takes 2X longer to take over and makes everything in there more powerful, like a trap stored in the storage makes the placed trap 25% more powerful for instance.
It would give room offensive use when normally no room shouldn't do so. Also it will cause lots of balance issues, players will use it as forward base, putting lots of traps inside and building it in key / choke areas.

Kelphy

Warden
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
Australia
Probably the best idea I've heard on the forums so far.
At first I thought to myself "Why would I want another room for the secret items when I already have a library???"
But after you explaining that you could set up traps to protect it, a location to dump your gold and food when it starts to get excessive, without throwing it away. This convinced me, that this room is something that I would recommend.

Keep up the great ideas! :D

I think this room would be kind of nice. Make it so the walls for it are more heavily reinforced so that breaking in to it would be harder... That along with making it so you can rearange where supplies are for ease of distribution.. Yeah. I can see this working.

Maybe an effect happens with it when you have a dungeon breach? Like it goes into lockdown mode and becomes much harder for ANYONE (your troops included) to get into it?

Jun 27, 2012
I quite like the idea of this room actually.

A lot of items could be stored here in a much smaller space than what would be possible in other rooms.

For example, you could store 20 traps in a 3x3 room instead of having to build a 40x40 workshop to store it, and still have room for workers.

An additional benefit of the storage room could be additional protection. Items here could be secure from theft, unless the room is claimed by someone else.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
One additional benefit from this room, and I've forgotten if it was mentioned already by me or someone else, is to keep your Blood Imps busy. A gameplay balance device is that it's one more thing for Blood Imps to automatically shuttle from place to place, unless you yourself decide to devote your own focus on it to save imps some time.

Otherwise the traps would remain in the Foundry, cluttering it up. Blood Imps can only hold one thing at a time, after all, and if you're in a rush to set up traps, you don't want to keep your Foundry away from your Dungeon and near the frontier of battle where the traps will be set up, but a temporary Storage Room that you can delete might be just what you need. It's expendable.

EyeScream

Bloodling
WFTO Backer
Jan 3, 2013
I don't really get it. In a game like Dwarf Fortress it's mandatory, since there are so many different items. But as far as I'm aware the Blood Imps will be shifting:
Gold, bodies, special items and workshop items.
Each already has a designated room, which can be expanded. Since doors and traps are made to order they won't be cluttering anything.

The storage room would make things easier, but I don't see that a a good thing since it will deincentivise planning ahead.

ShadowTiger

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
Each already has a designated room, which can be expanded. Since doors and traps are made to order they won't be cluttering anything.

The storage room would make things easier, but I don't see that a a good thing since it will deincentivise planning ahead.
What sort of planning ahead are we talking here? If anything, it would be planning ahead to ensure the main rooms of your dungeon are safe, and any Storage Room (Which performs no other function and doesn't put working minions in any danger) closer to the front lines will only be temporary if anything to ensure Blood Imps don't spend too much time on the spoils of the latest battle.

It's expendable. If we can't pick up traps or specials directly with our hand, this will become very useful.

Jun 23, 2013
Am i the only one who thinks this would be a great addon for rhe treasure room. In DK2 i was fond of placing a3x3 treasure room near the enemy behind a secret door. If i could keep traps in it, it would serve a strategic purpose more than depleting the gold seam on his half of the map. we are basically talking about a room to store ALL the valuables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom