• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Room] The Gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Name: Gutter​
Stats: (Not really sure what this is asking for) Minimum function size would be 3x3.​
Buildability: Yes​
Cost: 1500 (Subject to balancing with it's production rate)​
Information: This will serve as a replacement for the mana vaults found on tiles in the Dungeon Keeper series. Due to the change in the substance that fuels you're dungeon I suggest that the Gutter is introduced. It's ritualistic appearance, together with the room's crass name would create a very unique WFTO experience.​
Function: The room produces extra Blood for the keeper, it's fuelled by your enemies (or not ;) ). Certain creatures produce more blood; magical Heroes being the most effective. Drop imprisoned creatures into the Gutter and watch how they're pinned to a crucifix and drained dry. The "subject" would be kept alive as long as possible, draining them slowly so they can produce more Blood for you to carry out your evil deeds, this would mean they would last a lot longer than in the torture chamber and produce Blood slowly. The Vampire would visit this room regularly if he has nothing to do, especially when upset which would soon increase his mood.​
Wall Decoration: The room will appear very ritualistic, with carvings in the stone on every wall. These will be Latin words, and evil symbols.​
Appearance: The whole room would look to be made from a slightly darker variation of smooth sandstone. It would have curved grooves in the floor which would collect the blood and channel it outwards to a larger circular gutter that surrounds the "subject". Similar to this picture...​
...but without the circles outside the centre circle.​
A 3x3 room would have a crucifix in the centre (or similar standing restraint), a bigger room would allow for more crucifixes allowing you to produce more Blood.​
Well there's the pitch...what say you?​

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
This is in my oppinion is the best idea EVER
but maybe orther members may find it too gory
also i think the bloodling has something to do with blood energy ???

Dec 10, 2011
Germany
It hasn't something to do with the blood energie the Underlord's have, well at least not directly. The bloodling will be related to something different, though that doesn't mean it's far from the Underlord's blood. Really, there isn't much story background about the creatures yet, they're the last priority at the moment. (Well, besides the rooms) ;)

Inlaa

Priestess
Jan 11, 2012
Texas
The first thing I'd like to say - I love the idea of the room, but I'm not sure how graphic it can be, seeing as how we're talking about creatures bleeding down a crucifix, and B) I wonder if something other than a crucifix could be used.

The second thing I'd like to say - I, personally, love how you put blood and a crucifix together in your concept. It's dark and it brings back some of that religious context to the game that I felt was more prevalent in DK1 (see: the priests standing before the knight in the intro cinematic, just how plainly DARK and EVIL the keeper was as compared to DK2, etc). However, note, too, that it could potentially prove insulting to some potential game buyers, and if there's symbolism that would serve just as well in place of the crucifix, it would be worth considering.

I like how this room could basically serve to fuel special spells, if it's a Blood power thing, and it gives you something else to do with those pesky prisoners (Instead of YAY, bigger skeleton army!). However, I'm not sure what all resources the developers have planned, so, we'll see what happens with this. If they only have one resource (Gold) planned, then I'd say that I don't see this room having a use unless its mechanics are changed a bit.

I'll repeat my two concerns, again, because they stand: Gore and potential player alienation. Some people are sensitive about one or both of those things (for instance, I don't see the need for needless gore in my video games and usually just have the gore setting on 'low' or 'medium'). Other than that, I'd like to see something like this room included in the game.

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
Both the gore and religious implications did spring to mind when I was thinking about it.

I did mention that an alternative could be used instead of a crucifix, but a crucifix fits the bill better than anything else would in my opinion...

The length of time required to reach death could range from hours to days depending on method, the victim's health, and the environment. Death could result from any combination of causes, including blood loss resulting in hypovolemic shock, sepsis following infection due to the wounds caused by the nails or by the scourging that sometimes preceded the crucifixion, or eventual dehydration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucifixion

Saying this, I would understand if a crucifix is something to steer clear of.

The gore could be controlled, all you would see is a person/creature up on a cross, the small channels would fill with blood but they would be small enough for it to only appear as an alternative colour. If Blood is a resource, I don't see the harm in it being visible in the game world.

I appreciate the response and opinions guys, keep it up. :)

Dec 19, 2011
Auckland/New Zealand
What about your classic blade stabbing sacrificial ritual, could have a dude stabbed bleed and healed repeat haha, could do it in a way that is almost humorous.. I would steer away from religious related gore, you dont want to end up with a law suit lol. Remember, there are a lot of over sensitive people out there that will not agree with things like this and stir trouble lol.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
The second thing I'd like to say - I, personally, love how you put blood and a crucifix together in your concept. It's dark and it brings back some of that religious context to the game that I felt was more prevalent in DK1 (see: the priests standing before the knight in the intro cinematic, just how plainly DARK and EVIL the keeper was as compared to DK2, etc). However, note, too, that it could potentially prove insulting to some potential game buyers, and if there's symbolism that would serve just as well in place of the crucifix, it would be worth considering.
I also think this would be an interesting and reasonable room - of course, only if blood is planned as a resource. The exposure and symbolism issues could both be avoided by replacing the crucifix with a hole-ish thing that opens up when the keeper is about to drop any being into it and closes afterwards. Maybe you hear a distant splatter sound for confirmation, but don't see anything, while blood is slowly flowing into your pool. When the room is bigger than 3x3, there should be multiple holes instead of one big pool as featured in the temple from DK.

Blizzard

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
or what about a hole with spike at the bottom and the dropped the creature impaled whyle blood drips down
or there tied to a totem with claws that comes to life and lets out the blood

amcoops

Priestess
WFTO Founder
Dec 9, 2011
North Devon, England
I guess it could work, I kind of wanted it to be something visually evil though, rather than dropping them into a hole never to be seen again. I also like the fact that the Vampires would visit the room and watch (maybe he gives in to temptation and gets on his knees to lap up the blood as it runs through a channel...look I went too far! :D).

On a slightly related note, I would like to see Vampires have more of a blood hunger than they did in the Dungeon Keepers. Maybe, rarely, they could sneak into the prison and feed on one of your captives which would lead to death and no skeleton. This would provide a means for the Keeper to manage their dungeon, keeping a prison locked when not capturing enemies.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
I guess it could work, I kind of wanted it to be something visually evil though, rather than dropping them into a hole never to be seen again. I also like the fact that the Vampires would visit the room and watch (maybe he gives in to temptation and gets on his knees to lap up the blood as it runs through a channel...look I went too far! :D).
I think spikes will do fine since there's no relation to real life cultures involved (maybe except for the spiked holes used by e. g. the Vietcong^^) and it's not overly unsettling like the crucifix thing.

On a slightly related note, I would like to see Vampires have more of a blood hunger than they did in the Dungeon Keepers. Maybe, rarely, they could sneak into the prison and feed on one of your captives which would lead to death and no skeleton. This would provide a means for the Keeper to manage their dungeon, keeping a prison locked when not capturing enemies.
That would be really annoying because you could lose some very valuable prisoners that way. And it would be nothing else but annoying. I'd rather see the vampire using life/blood drain in combat - always keeping the conditions of balance in mind, of course.

Dec 14, 2012
If the building existed and you could get zombies then this room could also function as the only way to get zombies, as detailed it takes quite some time to drain the blood of the unfortunate which automatically balances out the speed at which you can get zombies which I'm sure would make for useful blockers(?/).

If there are ghouls/zombies going to be added of course, I haven't actually had time to look very far into that part of the forum yet but if there are ghouls/zombies and there's only one type then only humanoid minions would turn into these ghouls/zombies but if there is ghoul/zombified version of each minion then the room would certainly make for more interesting tactics, true evil has no limit to how far it'll go to win or care much for the cost of that victory. :D

Edit: Visually the room could have restraints against every two walls and when minions or heroes are dropped into these restraints a sharp object (or many sharp objects) begin to pierce through their body, their blood draining downwards through short canals within the rooms architecture and towards the center of the room where all the blood is collected.

Jan 3, 2013
I thought blood could be obtained from torture chamber. While creatures are tortured, they spill blood wich is later added to your blood ''bank''.

Would be much easier and save you lots of time as you would get blood and convert enemy creature.

Arden

Gnarling
WFTO Backer
Jan 28, 2013
Maarssen
I would like to applaud the starting post, because I like the idea. I would however like to suggest a change in your idea.

How about implementing the function of draining blood from minions/enemy units using the torture chamber. What we had in DK2 was that the bigger the room, the more variation of torture devices you got. The faster gaining of blood feels to me like an 'advanced' tactic, which brings me to the following. Once your torture chamber reaches 9x9 or 11x11 (these are just examples subject to discussion), you could let a draining device enter your torture chamber. You will have to pick up prisoners and either put them in the electric chair for information, or to revert them to your team, or you can put them in the draining device for blood.

On this same note, I would like to introduce the idea of micro-managing your chambers. For example 20% of the effort of your mistresses of the chamber focus on draining, the others on converting/gaining intelligence.

Both are just ideas, but I really feel that this gaining of blood should be implemented in the torture chamber as an 'extra', because it should not be too easy to gain and I feel like we should not get too much rooms to block our view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom