• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

[Room] Throne room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint

Blood Imp
Dec 28, 2012
First things first - this is a suggestion if the devs decide to add the "avatar" feature to the game. If not, well, it's just a pointless wall of text.

Name: Throne room

Stats: none

Buildability: Can be built from the start.
Cost: High. To have this room is a bit of luxury.

Information: This is a place for your avatar to "do it's thing". A place where it could sit idely without being in the way too much but at the same time be more than just decoration. As your dungeons minions will flock to this room and wait in line to ask for favors (gold or be slapped and thrown out) or to solve a dispute among two of them or just give a tribute to their supreme ruler. This is also the place where some of the the succubus would come to hang out (keep the unerlord company sitting on his lap ar on the armrest of the throne/ couch), a place for the underlords pet ( any beast minion could be made a "pet" ). A chest (or a tyle similair to the treasue rooms, but just one and smaller) for the offered tributes. One of the captured heroes would be dragged in front of the avatar, for the underlord to decide its fate.
Function: Place of being for the avatar. Dispute solving/ tribute acceptance, pets lair.

Wall Decoration: Banners (maybe customizable) of the underlord, map of the dungeon, a paining o the dungeon heart, spoils of war, statues of the underlord/imps (in gold or onyx),

Appearance: The basic form of the room is 3x3. You get the throne in the middle (it gets more "blingy" the bigger the room gets/ the more wealth you have - the throne becomes bigger, decorated with gems, spikes, hides of fallen heroes/ beasts). A black marble chair, with some blood red carpet underneath it, banners at it's side. As the room gets bigger, you get columns, silk (simply put a see through cloth) drapery from column to column. Ounce the room is big enough you get the big throne, to it's right a spot for the pet (rags, some bones lying around, a bowl), to it's left a couch/bed where the succubus would reside (there or on the avatars lap/ armrest of the throne). In front of the throne - a long blood red carpet. A bit to the right and in front of the throne - the tribute chest( or tyle). The sides of the room would have braziers with fire and the columns would have candle stands (or candle stands would be replaced with braziers when the room gets bigger).

So, thats my suggestion regarding the "avatar idea".

The room in itself is more on the "fun factor" rather then to have any strategic value. It's a gameplay mechanic to ehance the feel, that you are the one that rules the dungeon. Where you would havve minions coming and going, waiting in line for the audience of the all mighty underlord. It would be fun just to see them standing in line, then leaving and getting upset if you would just ignore them.

It could aslo benefit more to the complexity of keeping the minions happy (as you will need to fulfil their wishes as not to lose happiness). If they are happy in general, you have a bigger chance of getting a tribute in gold and also solving the "mini problems" of the minions could be made fun in its own way (an orc could come to you asking for food/ succubus for a slap, a wizard to find a random object/ test subject etc) and depending on the coding not so much time consuming (or you could just avoid building the room in general - bigger room will mean a bigger "line" of minions and the basic 3x3 form will just have a place for the avatar to sit)

It woud also solve some of the problems regarding "avatar would just get in my way" - press "free roaming off" and the avatar will sit in its throne. Same for cases ("avalable for audience/ busy" button), when you have better things to do, then to bother which minion to throw into the pit because of a dispute.

Also, regarding disputes - you could "cheat" and be the evil underlord that you are, when asked to get rid of a certain minion. You could throw it in the pit/prison but not allow it to die/rot (you would gain just some happiness from granting the wish - but not the full amount you would get from killing it- and lose some from the unfortunate minion, but save the minion in case it's a high lvl or valuable one).

The general use of the disputes is to make your minions happy. To be the truly evil underlord or more of a goody-goody type of underlord. This could even go as far as to change the aesthetics of the throne room (evil - gloomy/ skulls on spikes, blood in bowls and such. Goody goody - more "luxrious" look). Or the aesthetics could change depending what type of vein of evil you chose (wrath - swords, blood etc ; sloth - couches, pyles of food, more succubus; greed - pyles of gold, golden statues etc)

The pet. Its another idea that I decided to merge with this one as it's more suitable when you have an avatar, i guess.

Any beast could be made "tame". Maybe get extra stats (nothing game breaking, just so it would be a bit different then the avarage beast. Or none at all just have a slightly bigger model). To make it tame - grab the beast and drop it in the "pet place" in your throne room (maybe have the same rate of success as the torture option for heroes). Now it will follow your avatar around and attack what he attacks. The rest of the time it would stay in its lair near the throne room (sleep, eat etc). You could go as far as to add a "pet" feature - you will need to feed the pet (corpses, chicken, wounded heroes/minions/ imps), maybe that could shape the pet somehow (change the color palette/ add minor stats).

The genrel functioning of the room would be very simple - a minion comes close to the throne, a bubble pops up over his head depicting his "wish". If it's a dispute, one/two minions would come and have crosses over their heads ( X - kill, torture room symbol, prison room symbol etc). Press the symbol and you will grant the wish. Gold will be given from your stash. If its a dispute - the camera would focus on the minion. Any other requests (like the slap) would be done if the basic form of interaction (pick and drop/slap).

The longer the "carpet" in front of the throne, the more minions can stand in line. They will wait for a set amount of time and leave (or if you slap them). Fulfiling or not the wish will grant happiness and sadness acccordingly.

That's that, any critisim is very welcome.

Saint

Blood Imp
Dec 28, 2012
Never had the chance to play that game, but google is our friend...yea,something like that. Just with more interaction maybe.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps if the devs don't end up giving us a physical avatar in the game, then you could drop one of your creatures (except blood imps) into the throne room to promote them to sit in the throne and act as your representative in the dungeon. Depending on the type of creature and their attributes and so on, this could have different effects on how the dungeon is run by them. For instance, placing a Cultist on the throne would ensure research in the Archive is completed more quickly, but their lack of experience in physical combat would make training creatures more inefficient.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
I like the idea of having a luxury room. In my opinion it should be available solely in sandbox-like game modes where you can play on the same map for a very long time. Because in campaign and skirmish mode, it would just constrain and overcomplicate your gameplay. And it should be one of the last features researchable.

The throne should always be placed next to a wall, preferably at the farthest end of the throne room. That means the throne room should not work with a size smaller than 3x4 (so that there can at least be one piece carpet in front of the throne). The bigger it gets, the more decoration it contains.

Now my issue is with the minions coming in and requesting things from you. This goes way too far in a Stronghold 2-ish direction and requires too much micromanagement that has nothing to do with the desired evil Underlord's experience and distracts from more important issues like territory management and expansion, dungeon fortification and attack strategies. These are the things the primary game should always be about.

If there's a thone room or something similar the luxury category, it could expand your area of influence, the bigger the room gets. But I think, there's already a shrine planned for that purpose...

Perhaps if the devs don't end up giving us a physical avatar in the game, then you could drop one of your creatures (except blood imps) into the throne room to promote them to sit in the throne and act as your representative in the dungeon. Depending on the type of creature and their attributes and so on, this could have different effects on how the dungeon is run by them. For instance, placing a Cultist on the throne would ensure research in the Archive is completed more quickly, but their lack of experience in physical combat would make training creatures more inefficient.
I like this idea. It's simple and reasonable for strategic purposes. It seems absurd, however, to make one of your unworthy minions a king-like being. It just turns everything topsy-turvy... I can't explain it in a better way - it just seems wrong.

Saint

Blood Imp
Dec 28, 2012
Really great idea. Even a simple statue(hooded figure/ plain set of armor/ golden heart statue/ horned guy bust/ chicken etc) could Do the trick.
Having a "councilor/ advisor/ representative" is neat non the less. The throne room Could be renamed to "audience room/ court" etc and still fulfill its intended function.

I like the idea of having a luxury room. In my opinion it should be available solely in sandbox-like game modes where you can play on the same map for a very long time. Because in campaign and skirmish mode, it would just constrain and overcomplicate your gameplay. And it should be one of the last features researchable.

The throne should always be placed next to a wall, preferably at the farthest end of the throne room. That means the throne room should not work with a size smaller than 3x4 (so that there can at least be one piece carpet in front of the throne). The bigger it gets, the more decoration it contains.

Now my issue is with the minions coming in and requesting things from you. This goes way too far in a Stronghold 2-ish direction and requires too much micromanagement that has nothing to do with the desired evil Underlord's experience and distracts from more important issues like territory management and expansion, dungeon fortification and attack strategies. These are the things the primary game should always be about.

If there's a thone room or something similar the luxury category, it could expand your area of influence, the bigger the room gets. But I think, there's already a shrine planned for that purpose...
As a luxury room it means that you don't need to build it. When built, it just opens more posibilities for you to tend to the needs of your minions (keep them happy). Without it you still have the same tools and can spend most of the time dealing with your dungeons more serious problems.

As stated by me, it can have a "toggle" function, so no need to worry about overflowing minion "problems" when things get "serious". Just "slam the door" and they won't bother you.

None the less, its main function is still the "resting spot" of your avatar and I think even with a 3 tyle build, the throne should be spwaned in the middle of them, so that the avatar would have his place (lets say it starts in such form near the dungeon heart with 3 tyles placed in north/east/west/south edge of the hearts room) to sit from the start.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
Really great idea. Even a simple statue(hooded figure/ plain set of armor/ golden heart statue/ horned guy bust/ chicken etc) could Do the trick.
Having a "councilor/ advisor/ representative" is neat non the less. The throne room Could be renamed to "audience room/ court" etc and still fulfill its intended function.
That's better :) Reasonable, but not unnecessaily complicated. "Audience Hall" or "Forum" sound nice for that purpose.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
It seems absurd, however, to make one of your unworthy minions a king-like being. It just turns everything topsy-turvy... I can't explain it in a better way - it just seems wrong.
Not a king-like being at all, Underlord! Your minions always pale in comparison to your malevolent magnificence. A creature working in the throne room (or whatever) would merely be a lieutenant, a sidekick, the Darth Vader to your Emperor. If they displease him, they will be reminded that you are not as forgiving as he is. Or you can punish the promoted underling anyway with a slap - if there are failures he's obviously not doing his job hard enough.

Jun 27, 2012
I dont think any over powerfull avatar should be in the throne room, I agree about it being a leutenant of sorts, one who speaks in your name.

Any creature could be assigned to that, and each could give both a positive and a negative effect.
Some would still be more suitable for it than others of course.

A goblin leader could greatly increase the training rate of goblins and improve their morale drasticly, but at the same time the goblin could be disrespected by most creatures stronger than them. He'd only be good for his fellow goblins, and simply lacks the leadership qualities and intelligence to be a good leader to others.

A troll could cause minions in the workshop to work twice as fast, but at the expense of library research which could take twice as long.

A black knight could cause all workers to work faster, but his payment could be tripled since he feels entitled to such tribute due to his leadership.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I don't dislike the idea, but I somewhat doubt we'll have an avatar that moves around the dungeon. The dungeon hearts we've seen seem to be much more organic in nature, and the kickstarter trailer kind of indicates that the dungeon heart IS the Underlord.

Co0kieL0rd

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 29, 2012
I dont think any over powerfull avatar should be in the throne room, I agree about it being a leutenant of sorts, one who speaks in your name.

Any creature could be assigned to that, and each could give both a positive and a negative effect.
Some would still be more suitable for it than others of course.

A goblin leader could greatly increase the training rate of goblins and improve their morale drasticly, but at the same time the goblin could be disrespected by most creatures stronger than them. He'd only be good for his fellow goblins, and simply lacks the leadership qualities and intelligence to be a good leader to others.

A troll could cause minions in the workshop to work twice as fast, but at the expense of library research which could take twice as long.

A black knight could cause all workers to work faster, but his payment could be tripled since he feels entitled to such tribute due to his leadership.
While a good idea in itself, your concept seems rather redundant here, because it's too similar to the concept of shrines - which is already incorporated in the game.

Vain

Blood Imp
May 25, 2013
I do agree with CookieLord here, the shrines are already there to grant global bonuses. As a luxury room however to show off any prizes that there are to be gained isn't there however, and it could be a great idea.
The idea of an avatar and lieutenants to speak your case, invites in an entirely different aspect; diplomacy. Food for a different thread maybe, or an existing thread I've missed?

Necroscourge

Dwarven Worker
May 22, 2013
California, United States of America
At one point I suggested that maybe the Main Menu could be a dungeon itself. The Throne Room would likely be where the actual character (You!) are in the entire game, but through the Throne Room your avatar controls the other dungeons under his control in the canon. So it would be the big, shiny gem in the middle of your glorious empire!

Jun 23, 2013
At one point I suggested that maybe the Main Menu could be a dungeon itself. The Throne Room would likely be where the actual character (You!) are in the entire game, but through the Throne Room your avatar controls the other dungeons under his control in the canon. So it would be the big, shiny gem in the middle of your glorious empire!
Who's to say that one of the earlier missions won't entail discovering a body to be used as an avatar. That your eventual physical dominion over all the land through said avatar could be part of the plot-line

Jan 3, 2013
Avatar most likely won't be walking in your dungeon as a minion since he is more like the unit of Empire, thus can't be attracted via portal.

You probably try to suggest the most expensive room, in this case it should attract the strongest creature Underlord can have via portal, and since it will be available from start, we may experience the same situation as we did with Black Knights in DK2.

Suggestion itself isn't bad, but currently is out of place and time since we don't know all Underlod/Empire creatures in the game and room like this will have to be ''tied'' to someone to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom