• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sniping

Is bringing sniping in to WftO a good idea?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hello,
I know this may not be by any means the most important thread in the world, but I thought it might be nice to discuss anyway. In DK2, Dark Elves have the possession ability to snipe using '0/Ins' on the num-pad. In the 'What we know already' thread, I got the impression that there was going to be a possession spell (so if you're a Dev reading this, this may not apply anyway if I'm wrong).
Therefore, I was wondering if it would be possible to bring this feature in to WftO except with a number of improvements?

Number one:
It was pointless...the arrows when sniping did not appear to do any more damage than normal, so there was not much point to it. In fact, you might as well have dropped your army on the target, it would probably be a safer option for the sniper. Therefore, could shots done with sniper mode do a very large amount of extra damage? In a battle, it would not make much difference because you can only control one creature at a time, but if you want to try some sneaky reconnaissance and need to drop a few targets from the other end of a hallway, then it could be a nice little option.

Number two:
Aiming...previously, there were no cross-hairs and all aiming was automatic anyway. Thus, a safe shot. Would it be possible to add cross-hairs to the snipe mode? If it turns out they look too unrealistic in a dungeon setting, an elaborate iron-sight may do the trick. Removing automatic aiming brings up new options too; head-shots perhaps?

Number three:
Ok, this is the crazy and very debatable one...slow-motion kills. I know it would take a lot of work for something which is not exactly important, but as far as cool features go, kills in slow time with sniping would look epic. Although I already know this is unlikely for now unless suggested otherwise.

Well, that concludes my thoughts on the matter. Have a good day!
Medjay

Spoon

Blood Imp
Aug 15, 2012
I feel like this could be quite difficult to do well. Firstly if you really want to implement it these days there are a few things to consider:
1. How do the arrows work? Hit scan, "bullet drop", lead ect now these higher quality features will be expensive to code. However it could feel gimmicky if you cheap out on dev time.
2. What's the speed going to be like on those weapons? Let's assume they use that weapon all the time. Will it do more damage when you possess it or do they always do lots of damage, in which case is the speed going to change?
3. Sway? Will that be incorporated?

I personally would reccomend the following if it is added. Let's take the ghost from Starcraft 2. Its a slow firing late game unit that does large amounts of damage to singular targets (skipping over EMP and nuke calldowns), lets try and get it similar to that. Make the "guard room/ ghost academy" a late game room or make it expensive. Then make it a fairly slow fire rate with a larger damage output all the time.

Spoon

Medjay

Shadow
WFTO Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hi,

1. How do the arrows work? Hit scan, "bullet drop", lead ect now these higher quality features will be expensive to code. However it could feel gimmicky if you cheap out on dev time.
Ok, so for your first point, I'm not sure I can really give any opinions to that. I guess it is just what ever the Devs think is easiest/best (in the event that they think sniping is a cool enough feature to be worth incorporating).

2. What's the speed going to be like on those weapons? Let's assume they use that weapon all the time. Will it do more damage when you possess it or do they always do lots of damage, in which case is the speed going to change?
For your second point, It makes sense to have a relatively slow firing weapon to snipe with. I believe that crossbows (presumably the snipers weapon of choice in a dungeon setting) take a long time to reload as it is, so that hopefully that could explain a long reload. I was sort of thinking that sniping only applied when you are in possession like in DK2 (since I can't see how creatures could snipe without your influence). Therefore, arrows would only do a 'normal' amount of damage for the normal shots that your creatures fire. In fact, if you are possessing sniping creature, you don't need to snipe all the time if the action is close up, so even in possession, your arrows would do a 'normal' amount of damage.

3. Sway? Will that be incorporated?
Your third point, sway, I would love it if it was in there, it would certainly greatly enhance the sniping experience and would provide must more of a challenge to snipers.

Very good thinking Spoon!
Medjay

Jun 27, 2012
Might be best to not have any sniping, it doesnt fit too well with the setting I think.

Improvements to the possesion spell could be made though, maybe with a third person view to not be too similar to DK and also to give a better overview of the surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom