• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

So what's the deal with the Avatar...

ShadowTiger

Crackpot
Founder
Dec 10, 2011
New York
So in Dungeon Keeper 1, the final level had, of all end-bosses, The Avatar. As an avid Ultima fan, it's just interesting how all of a sudden there, a coincidental appearance of a figure that is supposed to bring the virtues to a land. And he's in a CAGE! Why is he in a cage, exactly? Surrounded by lava, no less. Is this Dungeon Abyss? Even though there's no apparent correlation between Bullfrog and Origin, EA does seem to own them both, I guess. (They horribly rushed Ultima 7 (A GREAT game) to the point where it wasn't quite finished. U8 was worse.) So bam, Avatar in a Dungeon Keeper game. Neat.

Here's the Avatar from Ultima 8 for comparison purposes:

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
To my knowlege, the Avatar in the original DK is the the ultimate lord of the land. His design is taken from the Ultima series, so I guess he still embodies all the eight virtues. The Avatar in Thrillbird's Trail has been imprisoned by the blue keeper. I think this is mentioned when you destroy the heroes dungeon. You don't get information about why he's been captured though (apart from:"another keeper wants his soul."). Maybe he tried to spread virtue in the blue keepers dungeon? :)

Jan 3, 2013
Avatar was lured and trapped by other keeper. However he knew killing him would cause lots of problems and, probably he couldn't even get him killed due to his immense strength. This makes sense why he is in prison wich is separated from the rest of Blue Keeper's Dungeon, yet close to his Heart.

You could use level 10 Dragon and push him out of prison using blast ability right into corridor, where he would break 5 magic doors and attack Blue Keeper's Heart. If done early enough, without killing White Keeper's heart you could even make Avatar finish off your enemy for you.

Avatar in DK1 was so strong the only way to hold him down was put lots of dragons and let them lvl up. 3 Lvl 10 dragons could keep him busy but only 10+ creatures could slowly kill him. He truly was more than just a tank, no other creature could last so long and kill so many enemies alone.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
You could say he was a final and grand final boss, which somtimes you have to fight twice which is annoying.
"Like A Boss" as they say :p

Jan 3, 2013
You could say he was a final and grand final boss, which somtimes you have to fight twice which is annoying.
"Like A Boss" as they say :p
IIRC you had to fight ''him'' ''4 times'' actually. First is when he is in prison. When he dies, he comes back to live with 2 extra avatars who push from sides, trying to choke and squeeze you and drive you away from his land.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
IIRC you had to fight ''him'' ''4 times'' actually. First is when he is in prison. When he dies, he comes back to live with 2 extra avatars who push from sides, trying to choke and squeeze you and drive you away from his land.
Really? because when I played that level the Avatar died once, then came back as 1 Unit, also with his friend the Lord of the Land.
Or am I in a different Universe?

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
It was him again, with few Lords and 2 other avatars of lower levels. 6 and 8 IIRC.
Was this on a patched version of the game?
When I played it back before I had the internet in 2000, I didn't even know that patches for games even existed.
I only rememeber their being the 2 level 10 avatars with 1 lord of the land.

Jan 3, 2013
There's only one official patch for DK1, called an AI patch. Yes, I used that one, can't say for sure what changelog is but it had some nice changes, including fixed AI.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
There's only one official patch for DK1, called an AI patch. Yes, I used that one, can't say for sure what changelog is but it had some nice changes, including fixed AI.
I played the game unpatched for years so yeah that maybe the difference.

Blizzard

Necromancer
Backer
Dec 3, 2011
Behind you
This really annoys me !
why ?
BECAUSE MY BROTHER DELETED EVERYTHING ON MY HARD DRIVE WHEN I WAS ON THE BEFORE LAST LEVEL !!!!

sorry had to get it out of my system

Top Bottom