• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Developer Response Some Post 2.0 Suggestions

Aug 17, 2016
Not in any order :
1. The ability to place neutral (with the option to make those claimed either reclaimable or destructible ) moongates in the Map Editor (The Moongate Shrines are great, but placing hidden neutral moongates would be useful as well)

2. an option in the Map Editor to paint more than the max gold on some tiles.
3. the ability to hide Sacred Earth tiles under other types of blocks

3. the ability to paint gold onto more block types

4. the ability to bridge a gap on liquid and abyssal areas with brimstone/obsidian, which when destroyed, does not reveal dirt, but instead, leaves the liquid or abyssal area behind. for example, one creates a destructible wall to either bridge the area, or hide an area full of enemies, but once destroyed, the revealed path cannot be claimed, it would still be the underlying lava, water, liiguid gold, blood or abyss

5. A spell, construct or ritual to allow bridging of an abyss

6. the ability to paint visibilty on tiles even with totally black Fog of War

I also have some suggestions for maps based on Undergames features.

1. Make the destruction of Core Shards only weaken or destroy Core Doors instead of the Dungeon Core, so that the player would still need to destroy the core to win. For example, if there are three shards, and three Core Doors, perhaps the destruction of one weakens all the doors, or just one, or destroys just one door.

2. A claimed, destroyed Core Shard starts regenerating a new Shard for the claimer, creating new opportunities for new battles

Similarly, on maps with Underhills, once the hills are claimed and protected, the game is basically a matter of just sitting and waiting for the enemy core to die. What if the Underhills simply lowered the health of the core being attacked instead? If Core Doors could be used, the above suggestion could also be applied

Finally, it has been some time since Mighty Script was offered, but we still do not have the tutorials mentioned. It would also be useful if there were a library of scripts that could be applied to a map, and the option to upload/download premade scripts via the Workshop, or an option to save a script to a library from a map viewed/imported into the Map Editor

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
So I did read this quite a while ago but it came in over the Christmas break and it fell out of my attention scope. I did want to reply though so although I'm several months late I thought I might do so now as I go through this forum.

Firstly as you know WFTO is in maintenance and a lot of new features would not make it past triage, but that doesn't make many of the ideas here bad by any means. It's something I'd take on board for a sequel in some cases.

Not in any order :
1. The ability to place neutral (with the option to make those claimed either reclaimable or destructible ) moongates in the Map Editor (The Moongate Shrines are great, but placing hidden neutral moongates would be useful as well)
This would be a new behaviour the game doesn't account for and would require a shift in the game's design and various code support. I think there's certainly merit in the idea but for the most part, is covered by the shrine.

2. an option in the Map Editor to paint more than the max gold on some tiles.
Yeah I could see this being a thing, especially given that the way WFTO Maps are made changed quite a bit for 2.0, it was simply something we didn't consider. Unfortunately as above this won't happen as the feature's value is too low versus the time investment for it to pass triage. But certainly for flexibility I'd consider baking more stuff like that in a brand new map editor design.

3. the ability to hide Sacred Earth tiles under other types of blocks
As above, though you could use MS to simulate this behaviour. The other part of this is that WFTO doesn't understand this concept on a base level, it'd be a pretty big shift in the terrain paradigm.

3. the ability to paint gold onto more block types
What blocks can't you paint gold onto? Pretty sure it's only stuff you can't destroy.

4. the ability to bridge a gap on liquid and abyssal areas with brimstone/obsidian, which when destroyed, does not reveal dirt, but instead, leaves the liquid or abyssal area behind. for example, one creates a destructible wall to either bridge the area, or hide an area full of enemies, but once destroyed, the revealed path cannot be claimed, it would still be the underlying lava, water, liiguid gold, blood or abyss
As with the above point on Sacred Earth tiles.

5. A spell, construct or ritual to allow bridging of an abyss
This rather dramatically undermines the point of Abyss tiles. Abyss' specific gameplay design is to define an impassable area to all but flying units. Why have Abyss if it can be crossed? It would effectively be the same as Lava.

6. the ability to paint visibilty on tiles even with totally black Fog of War
I can definitely see a purpose for this. Again it's covered in MS but as a general Map Editor feature I could see value. Again it's quite different from how WFTO works and would have had to have been considered much earlier on in the lifecycle. Future note though!

1. Make the destruction of Core Shards only weaken or destroy Core Doors instead of the Dungeon Core, so that the player would still need to destroy the core to win. For example, if there are three shards, and three Core Doors, perhaps the destruction of one weakens all the doors, or just one, or destroys just one door.

2. A claimed, destroyed Core Shard starts regenerating a new Shard for the claimer, creating new opportunities for new battles
At this point, this game mode would just be glorified Deathmatch. The intent behind the Undergames modes is to provide game modes with completely different win conditions. :)

Similarly, on maps with Underhills, once the hills are claimed and protected, the game is basically a matter of just sitting and waiting for the enemy core to die. What if the Underhills simply lowered the health of the core being attacked instead? If Core Doors could be used, the above suggestion could also be applied
As above. Though technically it does work like this I believe. So you could make a level without core doors. ;)

Finally, it has been some time since Mighty Script was offered, but we still do not have the tutorials mentioned. It would also be useful if there were a library of scripts that could be applied to a map, and the option to upload/download premade scripts via the Workshop, or an option to save a script to a library from a map viewed/imported into the Map Editor
Yes, unfortunately, this has completely fallen off the wagon for us. It's something that we struggled to find the appropriate amount of time for but as we've been ramping up on the new project there's just been no time for MS to be documented. It's something I'd still like to do but the value has decreased exponentially.

It's a lesson for me in terms of user-facing documentation of features.

As for saving and importing mightyscripts, that's possible at a very broad level now as of the April maintenance patch.

Top Bottom