• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Sound "Presence"

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
i know the sound in the game is already somewhat implemented.... because if you zoom waaaaaaaaay down towards your creatures you can hear them. Who else thinks there needs to be a definite "presence" increase, i.e. when you are zoomed out way out you can still hear whats going on in your general vicinity, maybe at a somewhat lessened value. i understand this mostly just needs to be tweaked more than likely, im mostly putting this here because sound IS an already implemented feature, we just can barely hear it. If I, as an omnipotent underlord, am observing an area from afar, i should also be able to hear it :)

Also, some form of Heart/Nexus/Whatever ambience would be nice. perhaps theme specific ambient noises for official themes in the future?

Renwar

Cultist
WFTO Backer
Jan 13, 2013
I do miss that thumping heart beat from my Dungeon Heart, but it's (very) early days and there's much higher priority things I'm sure. I do agree on the 'day-to-day' sounds needing a boost though, I kind of felt a bit detached from the goings on when zoomed out to my normal DK level.

Crawlius

Acoustic Wizard
Jan 31, 2013
I'll copy a response in another topic I gave earlier:

On the sound side, at least with the initial BB release, things are way out of balance. The creature sounds (footsteps, voices, attack SFX) are extremely low, the ambience is a bit low, and the ambient music is a bit high. There's also plenty of SFX that's simply missing.

The problems right now are mostly due to temporary issues I had with the tools. Dan Atkins, our audio lead, has been in the midst of a house move for the last 5 days or so and, as I'm located in New Zealand with pigeon-based TCP/IP, things got a tad messy.

The audio will be cleared up a lot over the coming updates. Should go a long way towards immersing you in all the wonderful labyrinth-making.
To be brief, audio is pretty messed up at the moment and a lot of sounds have yet to be implemented. The SFX in the game is a very small selection of the work we've completed so far. WFTO is going to sound significantly better in the near future.

persus

Priestess
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Posting this here since it's a sound thing. Anyone else just have the music end complete? I'm in a game after 10 minutes and the music has just stopped.

Crawlius

Acoustic Wizard
Jan 31, 2013
Posting this here since it's a sound thing. Anyone else just have the music end complete? I'm in a game after 10 minutes and the music has just stopped.
Yup. It may or may not restart itself, depending on how it's feeling. Sometimes it'll start and then stop again, just as an added "fuck you".

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
yeah, i generally assumed that it was in, as with the rest of the game, a kind of pre-alpha state, but since i had not seen a dedicated sound thread yet in here i wanted to go ahead and make one in case people are having other major issues, or in case the balance being out was just a bug on my end. The music does jaunt about, i haven't had it not complete a loop as far as i know (to be honest, ive only jumped on a few times, its a good working prototype and im pleased with the overall presentation, just waiting on feature implementation so it holds attention now :D )

Thanks for clearing up that it is in fact just a known thing though Crawlius. Not to dig (heh) too much here, but will there be theme specific ambient noises for the Nexus/Heart structures? i know it may be asking too much resource wise, but i'd love to hear thrumming crystalline tones for an ice throne and ominous pulse for the more classic heart-like structure. My mind just spins with the possibilities, but i know from a gameplay standpoint it may not be practical either (if you'll be able to hear the enemy heart as in DK1... can't remember if you could in 2 or not :/)

Jackpot Winner

Arcanist
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
There's ambient sound? I couldn't hear any at all. At least not over the music It's quite noticeable how much it would immerse you when it's missing.

Crawlius

Acoustic Wizard
Jan 31, 2013
Not to dig (heh) too much here, but will there be theme specific ambient noises for the Nexus/Heart structures? i know it may be asking too much resource wise, but i'd love to hear thrumming crystalline tones for an ice throne and ominous pulse for the more classic heart-like structure. My mind just spins with the possibilities, but i know from a gameplay standpoint it may not be practical either (if you'll be able to hear the enemy heart as in DK1... can't remember if you could in 2 or not :/)
Yeah, definitely. The dungeon sphincter's ambient SFX turned out quite nicely, and I'm amped to see what we can do for the other themes' nexuses.

May 16, 2013
UK
Yeah, definitely. The dungeon sphincter's ambient SFX turned out quite nicely, and I'm amped to see what we can do for the other themes' nexuses.
I... don't think I remember it being called that previously....

But I find myself not caring, that my good sir is now head cannon.

Top Bottom