• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SteamOS and other Valve announcements

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
So the SteamOS has been announced, and Valve are making 2 more announcements this week, I'm guessing the next one will be the oft predicted "steam box", and the last one? I'm expecting a game, probably one that will launch with the SteamOS/Steambox day 1.

Judging by the announcement icons, the first one is software (The Steam OS) the second one has boxed brackets (Steam Box?) and the 3rd, is 2 circles like the Steam OS icon, with a +, I am guessing this either means 2 pieces of software, OR one piece of software with 2 elements. My personal prediction? a Half Life/Portal crossover game, that will essentially be HL3 and Portal 3 combined.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Here's hoping that SteamOS isn't a Steam(ing P)OS

Last edited:

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
So Valve made their own Operating System to compete with Microsoft, Apple and Linux?
Also Half Life 3 confirmation! :eek:
It's more to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the console race, as far as I can tell, it's not going to be a fully functioning OS like Windows and OSX, or the popular Linux Distros, and it is in itself a modified version of Linux (and will be free) made specifically for running games.

and HL3 is not confirmed yet, that was just my speculation :D

Noontide

Award Winning Community Manager
Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I'm personally not feeling the SteamOS announcement, we knew that it was going to be a Linux based OS and ultimately this means that the vast majority of the Steam Library will not be available on the OS. So it's an interesting step and I'm somewhat curious to see what the effects will be on the Industry. But the SteamOS itself does not really seem to have anything that makes it special, I guess time will tell.

I Expect a few in the industry to take notice but that to eventually die down due to lack of consumer interest in a product that doesn't do what it needs to do for a PC (The vastly inferior catalog of games being the major breaking point) and one that doesn't have the AAA support needed for the console market.

Who knows though perhaps Valve have something more up their sleeves.

Peetfighter

Juggernaut
Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
It's more to compete with Sony and Microsoft in the console race, as far as I can tell, it's not going to be a fully functioning OS like Windows and OSX, or the popular Linux Distros, and it is in itself a modified version of Linux (and will be free) made specifically for running games.

and HL3 is not confirmed yet, that was just my speculation :D
I read about that on the site, but how is it supposed to work on a TV? It's not a physical console you plug in like a Playstation or Xbox.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I'm personally not feeling the SteamOS announcement, we knew that it was going to be a Linux based OS and ultimately this means that the vast majority of the Steam Library will not be available on the OS. So it's an interesting step and I'm somewhat curious to see what the effects will be on the Industry. But the SteamOS itself does not really seem to have anything that makes it special, I guess time will tell.

I Expect a few in the industry to take notice but that to eventually die down due to lack of consumer interest in a product that doesn't do what it needs to do for a PC (The vastly inferior catalog of games being the major breaking point) and one that doesn't have the AAA support needed for the console market.

Who knows though perhaps Valve have something more up their sleeves.
Valve have said that
a) You will be able to stream Windows and Mac games from a Windows PC to a SteamOS PC, something like Gaikai or Onlive

b) More than the current Linux library will be playable on steam OS (i am guessing there will be some sort of emulation)

c) The Steam OS library will grow quickly, I am guessing they will be giving devs incentives to make their games SteamOS compatible, and i wouldn't be surprised if a few big upcoming sellers are already planned SteamOS compatibility

I read about that on the site, but how is it supposed to work on a TV? It's not a physical console you plug in like a Playstation or Xbox.
You are supposed to install it on your PC and have it in your living room, or install it on a cheap HTPC which can run simpler games, and stream better games from your main PC.

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Valve have said that
a) You will be able to stream Windows and Mac games from a Windows PC to a SteamOS PC, something like Gaikai or Onlive
There are two major problems with this, firstly streaming no matter how you handle it will introduce lag. I'm also not sure what the benefits are to doing this either as you still have to have that beefy Windows PC and how do you get the data from the Windows PC to the SteamOS PC? Wireless? Cables? You can do this with already available hardware and software without having SteamOS sat in the middle.

Presumably in the proposed method by Valve you'd need two PCs to do a task that one PC is already capable of doing. It seems a fairly redundant step but necessary to even have a chance in the PC Gaming Market.

b) More than the current Linux library will be playable on steam OS (i am guessing there will be some sort of emulation)
Technically you can run many Windows games on Linux through Wine however the emulation is inferior to running natively, the problem then being why would you emulate when you can simply run it natively?

c) The Steam OS library will grow quickly, I am guessing they will be giving devs incentives to make their games SteamOS compatible, and i wouldn't be surprised if a few big upcoming sellers are already planned SteamOS compatibility
This is what I mean by it'll be interesting to see how this affects the industry, we may indeed see more shift to Linux support in games, but the incentives would have to be there for Devs and Publishers to invest. However the majority of the catalog will most likely always be on Windows unless a huge shift in the industry occurs.

Then it's a different story, however I personally cannot see how this would be anything other than an uphill struggle for Valve.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
There are two major problems with this, firstly streaming no matter how you handle it will introduce lag, I'm not sure what the benefits are to doing this either as you still have to have that beefy Windows PC and how do you get the data from the Windows PC to the SteamOS PC? Wireless? Cables? You can do this with already available hardware and software without having SteamOS sat in the middle.

Technically you can run many Windows games on Linux through Wine however the emulation is inferior to running natively, the problem then being why would you emulate when you can simply run it natively?

This is what I mean by it'll be interesting to see how this affects the industry, we may indeed see more shift to Linux support in games, but the incentives would have to be there for Devs and Publishers to invest. However the majority of the catalog will most likely always be on Windows unless a huge shift in the industry occurs.
Streaming is getting better, we've already seen the Nvidia Shield which is a device built around Streaming, and the lag is acceptable, when you have 2 machines in the same home they will most likely be streaming via an ethernet cable, not wifi, and so lag, or lack thereof will be even better!

As for emulating for running Windows games, when talking about Wine you are talking about a program running in a Linux Distro, when we're talking about SteamOS we're talking about a entire distro that is designed to run games so I don't think it's comparable, I am sure something like Wine will be built in, and probably a lot better than using Wine currently, and even so, that's still better than nothing.

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
Streaming is getting better, we've already seen the Nvidia Shield which is a device built around Streaming, and the lag is acceptable, when you have 2 machines in the same home they will most likely be streaming via an ethernet cable, not wifi, and so lag, or lack thereof will be even better!
But then the question is, why stream via Ethernet cable when you could just plug an HDMI cable from your PC to the TV? Or using other Software/Hardware solutions for network streaming that are cheaper than sticking an extra computer in.

Having the SteamOS in the middle seems like an entirely redundant step.

As for emulating for running Windows games, when talking about Wine you are talking about a program running in a Linux Distro, when we're talking about SteamOS we're talking about a entire distro that is designed to run games so I don't think it's comparable, I am sure something like Wine will be built in, and probably a lot better than using Wine currently, and even so, that's still better than nothing.
Possibly but Wine is the best solution thus far, I'm skeptical that Valve can get something to beat the many years of development that Wine has had. Willing to be impressed though ;)

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
But then the question is, why stream via Ethernet cable when you could just plug an HDMI cable from your PC to the TV? Or using other Software/Hardware solutions for network streaming that are cheaper than sticking an extra computer in.

Having the SteamOS in the middle seems like an entirely redundant step.

Possibly but Wine is the best solution thus far, I'm skeptical that Valve can get something to beat the many years of development that Wine has had. Willing to be impressed though ;)
Streaming is not a redundant step when you want to be able to play in 2 rooms without lugging a PC around, Sony have already announced being able to stream PS4 games to a Vita TV (at a reduced resolution no less), considering that would be from one TV to another instead of a PC monitor to TV, that is even more redundant! and yet, you'll be able to do it.

Lots of people already have (or want) a second HTPC, and being able to install SteamOS onto it and stream all their games is very convenient and may encourage people to buy a HTPC if they were on the fence before.
also a HTPC may be a similarly priced or possibly cheaper option over buying a PS4 or XBOne, and with the benefit of people retaining their Steam library

Streaming seems to be the way forward this gen.

It is possible the Valve just bought the source code of Wine to implement into SteamOS at the very core, you never know

Last edited:

Noontide

Dev Team
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I think we'll agree to disagree and see where this all takes us. You've definitely made some valid points and I'm genuinely curious to see what the remainder of this decade brings for our favorite industry ;)

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
I think we'll agree to disagree and see where this all takes us. You've definitely made some valid points and I'm genuinely curious to see what the remainder of this decade brings for our favourite industry ;)
Definitely!

I am being cautiously optimistic, so I'm not willing to discount any possibilities or assume failure when we haven't really seen anything yet, we've just seen a list of features. If it turns out this whole SteamOS really is a SteamyPOS I'm never one to be an early adopter, I normally wait at least a year before jumping onto a new tech bandwagon, to wait until the early kinks are irons out, I didn't get a PS3 until Early 2009 (a little annoyingly, only 6 months before the improved slim models), my first smart phone was the Galaxy S2 (often considered the first Android iPhone-beater) so that policy hasn't burned me yet.

May 16, 2013
UK
It is possible the Valve just bought the source code of Wine to implement into SteamOS at the very core, you never know
Wait, wha? Last I checked Wine was open-source and licensed under GPL, they can use it, they don't have to buy it, there's just some restrictions to work around.

I think it's likely they'll just take a lot of lessons learned from Wine (it's open source and its development history is public, hell they could hire on some devs as consultants) and implement their own thing, or something designed to work in tandem with Wine.

Huntress
Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
Wait, wha? Last I checked Wine was open-source and licensed under GPL, they can use it, they don't have to buy it, there's just some restrictions to work around.

I think it's likely they'll just take a lot of lessons learned from Wine (it's open source and its development history is public, hell they could hire on some devs as consultants) and implement their own thing, or something designed to work in tandem with Wine.
oh in that case, yeah, they probably did something like that.

Top Bottom