1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subterranean Flora?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sukhonali, Mar 13, 2012.

1. sukhonali

sukhonali Bafu Founder

Is there going to be any type of flora? in the case of a dungeon (Fungi, earth roots, blood veins coursing through rock).

I think it would be really cool to have a subterranean kind of flora inhibiting the underground, it would add so much to the visual richness of the game and make underground passages look so much more realistic than DK 1&2.

Amon, iggii, Evi and 1 other person like this.
  2. Victor

Victor Oculus

I like the idea of a living breathing underworld. Heck I know it would be a lot but having growth to it like the poo plants in zombies ate my neighbors from the snes. Growing plants and vines on walls the more dank it is the more mushrooms can grow would be cool.

3. Victor

Victor Oculus

I agree, I don't want some crazy glowing bright mushrooms, I want a good fungus growing though

4. sukhonali

sukhonali Bafu Founder

I found this real type of fungus, its called Blood Fungus it is the weirdest I have ever seen and it might suite the game theme if pink is replaced with dark colors.
    blood_tooth_fungus1.jpg

5. sukhonali

sukhonali Bafu Founder

How about some earth roots like these.

roots.jpg

They would look nice on rock walls!

6. Zuriki

Zuriki Blood Imp

It would be nice to have a variety of flora to liven the place up a little, give it that "not necessarily lived in" feeling. I'd opt for less fungi and more traditional green plants, not that I'm opposed to some fungi, but too much and it looks a bit silly aesthetically.

iggii likes this.
  7. sukhonali

sukhonali Bafu Founder

True!, we don't want the game to look like Super Mario!!!

Amon likes this.
  8. Karakzon

Karakzon Blood Imp

for areas around pools you could have your fungus and other plant types, but your corridors and rooms are going to be threaded through with your dungeon veins so theyll probably have to have some kind of decoration based on blood etc.

9. iggii

iggii Bafu Backer

+1

10. Galenwolf

Galenwolf Priestess

It depends on how the flora is used.

There are various ways to use the flora, it could be part of a food system. Rather than just chickens if certain monsters require different food you could have a fungus farm.

Also the lighting for the dungeon could rely on flora as well, there are bioluminescent fungus in real life that grow green which might be used in small clumps on the floor, or growing out a wall that lights up an area rather than a torch.

bioluminescent fungus and moss might also work for open area's. It doesn't make too much sense that an area would be prelit with torch light if it has not been explored so that would allow for a more immersive light. It wouldn't be bright, but it could give some defintion to the shape of the area, make the dark area's darker etc until torches actually light it up.

11. Wonderboy2402

Wonderboy2402 Disciple

WOW, the blood fungus is really interesting!

What if the fungus could be something that grows in the grave yards. What would it be used for? Food source? A "refiner" of blood from the corpses of the slain, that could be collected from the fungus surface? A visual sort of corruption that is the result of evil influence spread.

Other organic things... Fungus, mushrooms, tree roots hanging from ceiling and down walls, strange biolunminscent tentacles that collect flying insects, lichens, moss along wateways, mold on damp wooden structures, strane pulsating slime...

GO WILD.

Amon and Victor like this.
  12. |/|EXcISioN|\|

|/|EXcISioN|\| Blood Imp

Great suggestion it could be even better if there were mashrooms that grow in cold humid caves near water which your minions could pick up and bring to a special room where you can make toxic/healing/Etc potions

13. iggii

iggii Bafu Backer

Here we are getting into another resource system - additional to blood and gold. It would need to be elaborated further - what types of flora would you like to be harvestable (only shrooms or also anything else?), who(creatures) and where(rooms) could transform them into what(only potions? It would need to be something more to make a whole next resource system for that), how would you use this next resource (automatic mechanics/manually by player...). I like that idea in general, but try to make more of it.