• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Notice the new look? We've updated to a new version of Xenforo, please read our latest post.

Talk about Zombies Thread

mastersam911

Firebreather
Aug 18, 2013
This thread is to discuss all theories, all possibilities of zombies, movies, tv what could actually happen

Talk about everything related to zombies here

Mozared

Juggernaut
Founder
Feb 17, 2013
It's never gonna happen, realistically. Fiction is all nice, but keep it real. That said, it's a mighty fine platform for exploring what it means to be human. The subject's a bit overdone, lately, but still pretty much all new works of art in the setting have been very well done. The World War Z movie is the only zombie-themed work that wasn't well above average, and it wasn't even bad.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
I find zombies to be rather boring tbh...
I was playing ArmA downloaded some mods and decided to put the Taliban up against some Zombies it was quite fun, and when their Chanting "Allah Akbar" (just sounds hilarious) when they've just blasted a zombie with an RPG.

Medjay

Shadow
Backer
Aug 23, 2012
Canterbury
Hey there :D,
Righty.... first things first, I love the concept of zombies (I would have responded to this thread hours ago if my laptop browser wasn't broken and it would actually let me write in the text boxes :mad:, anyway, on a different computer now).

Firstly, I really appreciate how zombies just aren't for everyone. However, zombie believer or not I, still think zombology is a great subject because it can teach us a lot about other far more likely hazards. I like to think that if everyone just made a few preparations towards protecting themselves from a hypothetical zombie apocalypse, they would be much better prepared for any other harmful situations (including anything from a mild first aid incident, a terrorism attack or a sudden national food shortage).

It could be argued that people would be spending their time much better if they focused on these specific threats rather than a non-existent one however, its very difficult to plan for so many individual dangers whereas zombies are a fairly catch-all subject of survival. Furthermore I feel zombie survival has the advantage of being fun. Talking about more plausible disaster preparations is rather depressing and Macabre, so thinking about realistic survival methods is hardly how many of us enjoy spending our time. However, the implausibility of a zombie outbreak taking place makes talk of death, destruction and survival actually rather interesting and can help to prepare us all a little bit more against the threats we would rather turn away from.

So I like to think: if you're prepared for a zombie apocalypse, your probably that bit better prepared for everything else.

I would secondly like to make a zombie film recommendation. The film is Night of the Living Dead from 1963.If you haven't already seen it, I really recommend it (I know, I know, it's in black and white and the start isn't all that gripping, but gets better, honest :p). It is my view that this film is the birth of what we might think of as 'the modern zombie'.
It seems that nearly ever zombie book, game, comic and film contains the following criteria:
  • Some emphasis on shotguns and an effective tool against zombies
  • Fire being an effective weapon against zombies
  • People boarding up windows and doors with pieces of wood at odd angles
  • Nearly every character dying by the end
  • Some 'group annoying person' who constantly argues and causes disruption within the group
Having watched Night of the Living Dead, the origins of these 'zombie norms' have become a lot clearer.

Also, I'm interested to know what, say five items, everyone would take with them in the event of a total zombie apocalypse?

Castigator

Gargoyle
Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
Also, I'm interested to know what, say five items, everyone would take with them in the event of a total zombie apocalypse?
Since we already have the signs of a zombie apocalypes I would choose the following items to blend into the zombie masses and get away without being noticed.
Number 1: A smartphone. This comes in handy when you are confronted with the "Consumer" type zombie.

Number 2: Bribe Money. What hasn't failed in life, is unlikely to fail against the "Politician" type zombie.

Number 3: An officer's uniform. This is to make the dangerous "Law-Enforcement" type zombie obey.

Number 4: A holy symbol. There is no other protection against the vile "Bankster" type zombie.

Number 5: A Zweihänder. If all else fails, range is important, but guns will run out of ammo pretty quickly.

What do you think of my Zombie preparations? Did I forget anything, or do you wish to make improvements?

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
Don't forget your projectile weapons, such as Shotguns, Machine guns, mini guns, Bazookas, RPG's.
Find an armoured vehicle too, maybe your local Reserve Army base have a few.

Enjou

Ember Demon
Backer
Jan 10, 2012
While a self-perpetuating necromantic plague is always fun, the standard zombie is vastly inferior to a Ghoul that has been properly raised by a trained Necromancer. Slow and shambling, they are easy prey for any well trained party of adventurers and can often be taken out at range by a skilled archer or a mage. At best they should be used to wear the intrepid adventurers out a bit before the Ghouls are sent in, but only if you don't have time to use the corpses that would be used to make zombies to make Ghouls instead.

Badwolf699

Juggernaut
Founder
Dec 18, 2011
You're thinking of Vampires, which in truth aren't going to be harmed significantly by being sprinkled with a bit of water.
So they're not allergic to aklelien liquids?
Hammer House of Horror has lied to us!
Unless Vampires and Necromancers made the films!
DUN DUN DUUUUUN!

Jan 3, 2013
It seems some forget that zombies are not only walking and rotting corpses. Any creature that is under influence and can no longer control itself can be easily considered as a zombie.

Imagine some alternative kind of zombies, like the ones controlled by genetically created virus ( Resident Evil says hi ) witch indeed messes up Brain and turns human into a rabid creature that ( well not the brain eater of course ) is aggressive to everything and can no longer reason it's own actions ( like in 28 days/weeks after movie ), those guys could technically wipe out everything around quite quickly.

Nov 8, 2013
Finland
Imagine some alternative kind of zombies, like the ones controlled by genetically created virus ( Resident Evil says hi ) witch indeed messes up Brain and turns human into a rabid creature that ( well not the brain eater of course ) is aggressive to everything and can no longer reason it's own actions ( like in 28 days/weeks after movie ), those guys could technically wipe out everything around quite quickly.
Rabies exists and yet the humanity survives.

Top Bottom