• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Talking Walls: suggestion for a dungeon trap/spell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nechromius

Spirit
WFTO Backer
Feb 22, 2013
I was a poor college kid, walking through Best Buy (electronics department store), when the original DK1 artwork caught my attention -- "Evil is Good" always stayed with me. I played DK1 and DK2 with a voracious appetite, and was devastated when all hopes of a DK3 were lost... (Evidently the creators of the DK series learned something about dashing hopes from their game-playing...) So, naturally I was THRILLED when I saw that WFTO was in production!

I quickly shelled-out about $47 (American), to be able to contribute ideas to the game design, and maybe even have a chance to name a monster or a trap/room...! :) Since joining this community, I've been wanting to contribute just a few ideas / suggestions, and it was not until now (months later) with a back-injury that has "forced" me to take a small hiatus from 2 full-time jobs that I can FINALLY share with you all. I only hope/pray that I'm not too late, and that the "Devs" have a chance to read this...

Okay, all the nostalgia aside, I cannot believe that no one else has thought of this CLASSIC dungeon trap/spell!!!

Spell Name: "Talking Wall," or "Bellowing Bricks," or "Warning Wall," or "Magic Mouth" -- whatever
is not copyrighted.

Highlight: This spell is meant to place a make-shift "face" or "mouth" on a piece of dungeon wall, which, when approached by intruding adventurers will speak/shout some kind of a phrase/warning that has been chosen by the caster. Each time the "area" is "tripped," the same thing will occur. Most phrases will be an attempt to frighten or taunt the adventurers. More importantly, the in-game audio will have to be loud enough that it will physically (audibly) trigger the player/Overlord to realize that a) there is an intrusion, and b) where the intrusion is occurring based on the location of the placed spell.​
Type: Incorporeal/Physical
Effect: When triggered by area-of-effect intrusion, the spell speaks/shouts a pre-recorded/chosen statement that affects the morale of the intruder(s) and more importantly, warns the Overlord of the intrusion.​
Cost: Low initial cost, and very low additional cost each time it is activated.
Appearance: The spell would look like a big (floor to ceiling) face, planted on / floating in front of a 1-piece section of wall. It may be there all the time, or only appear when triggered. It will be triggered by a measured area-of-effect / influence that causes it to activate when a "hero"/"adventurer" walks in front of / near the face. At that point, the hovering face would come to life and in a stellar voice speak/shout one line of text.​
My "idea" isn't entirely original -- I admit -- but it could be a LOT of fun to play with! I'm remembering back to the original D&D that had a spell, which I think WAS called "Magic Mouth." In the movie, "Labrynth" they brought this concept to life, and I've never forgotten some of those warnings! (i.e.: "The path you have taken will lead you to certain destruction!")​
What would make this REALLY COOL would be if there was a good, long list of well-done voice acting that the player could choose from when placing/casting the spell/trap. For example, as the player I pick the section of wall where I want to cast the spell, and then a "dialogue" window opens up with 10 or more phrases that I can choose from, and then I select the one that I want. Then, in the future, when that face/wall/mouth is tripped/activated, it speaks the phrase I selected.​
What would make this REALLY SUPER COOL would be if I, as a player, could record my own voice via in-game audio, and have my voice distorted (digitally) to sound like an evil overlord. Then, I could choose from amongst a number of phrases that I have recorded, and have them enter my game as the warnings spewed by my talking walls!!!​
Now, I'm a terrible draw-er / artist, but here's the best I could do to help illustrate my "idea."​
WFTO Sketch (3).JPG
I welcome any/all feedback and critiques. I'll be happy to answer any questions or flesh-out the idea more. Just hoping that the game creators include something like this in the final product.​
Cheers!​

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
While I don't like your 'talking wall' idea per se (I don't dislike it either but it seems like a glorified alarm trap in wall-form), I do like your idea for wall-based traps. These actually make perfect sense and we even had a prototype of them back in the old Dungeon Keeper games in the form of doors. Think about it: arrow walls, grinders and double-wall-squisher-traps.

Now I need to look up the 'what we already know' thread to see if WFTO actually already has wall traps.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
I had the same thought as Mozared - it's a glorified alarm trap. But wall mounted traps would be a good addition.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I had the same thought as Mozared - it's a glorified alarm trap. But wall mounted traps would be a good addition.
With your addition we do sound a bit overly negative :p

Don't get me wrong OP; I like your idea and think it would be a prettier alarm trap than the........ 'thing' we had in Dungeon Keeper 2 that just made a REALLY annoying noise until it was destroyed. It's just that I think your 'wall trap' mechanic idea is far more valuable.

Edit: I just looked it up; seems we know nearly nothing about traps and wall-traps aren't planned yet. SUBTERREANEAN GAMES PLS.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
the devs already stated in one of the livestreams that there are some wall traps planned... as always i may be wrong about this and it is subject to change (like nearly everything up till now)

---> Trap

Nechromius

Spirit
WFTO Backer
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. I, too, am a big fan of wall-mounted traps which would not (necessarily) take up any floor-space. (The "Orcs Must Die" series of games did a phenomenal job with a variety of cool traps...)

In any case, relating to my "glorified alarm trap" as some of you folks put it, it COULD still be very-much a TRAP if the effect of the audible was not only to alarm/warn the Dungeon Overlord, but ALSO to cause a worth-while morale-reducing effect (area of effect) to the "good guys" that tripped it. The "blood cost" for each activation would have to reflect the strength of the morale-reducing effect (more for more).

In addition, it would just be a fun/cool way to play out the environment of your dungeon, especially with some laugh-inspiring lines of EVIL TEXT, and/or with the additional option of being able to record one's-own audibles.

Ben Chandler

Impassibly Cool
WFTO Backer
Jan 23, 2013
It would be quite interesting in the campaign if there was a maze like level and you had to lead your creatures through it with something like this implemented

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
what about a face that when it shouts it physically pushes the heroes or enemy creatures back, like gale force wind emitted from the shout. This way it still serves the purpose of an alarm trap, but also gives you actual time to repsond to the threat by pushing the enemy back a ways. There was nothing more useless in DK 1 and 2 than hearing an alarm go off, going to it, and seeing no enemies because they had already bypassed the alarm.

Nechromius

Spirit
WFTO Backer
Feb 22, 2013
Now THAT is a very good improvement to my original idea! The "shout" could push the enemies (heroes) back, and/or "stun" them with some kind of a "sonic effect" for a short time, which would give the player/Overlord time to respond and send in the troops! :)

RMJ

Priestess
Jan 3, 2013
Denmark
For some reason, the moment i said the topic name. I think about those walls in Fable 1 haha.

It would be so cool to have random stuff like that, giving you side quests, you must do something to open me :)

Underlord Vulukai

Witch Doctor
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
shameless double post, but i just had an idea that combines the Bellowing Bricks idea with a floor trap design! could perhaps have a trap that is a "Screaming Skull", literally a whole skeleton body strewn across the ground, whenever a hero steps on the skull or a piece of the body the skull starts to scream and cackle for 4-5 seconds (maybe an upgrade in the veins could lengthen the trap time?) with a force strong enough to push hero units back in all directions from the origin of the trap. animation could be swirling bones with the skull in the center, glowy eyed and cackles streaming forth at having scared the bojangles out of some heroes.

Dave04

Bloodling
Mar 10, 2014
I like the idea that this face concept whispered words into creatures ears as they past to make them temporarily switch sides. So it would essentially be a turncoat spell on the first intruder which I think is a fun idea which would certainly cause a fair bit of chaos.

Mar 8, 2013
what about a face that when it shouts it physically pushes the heroes or enemy creatures back, like gale force wind emitted from the shout.
With this is as a sort of addition I would say you guys are on to something. I like it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom