• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The DK-like genre name?

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
WFTO Founder
Not sure how to put this, but with there being a fair few games based on Dungeon Keeper, Both on the horizon (Impire, Maia and of course War for the Overworld) and on the shelves (Startopia, Evil Genius and Dungeon Overlord etc), there isn't really a way to categorize these games without mentioning Dungeon Keeper. Which could, in the long run, be either good or bad from a marketing standpoint.

I guess I'm wondering whether there is need for a name for this Sub-genre of the God Game? Much like how the term "MOBA" (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) was coined to replace calling games in that genre "DotA/AoS" clones.

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
I suppose they should have there own genera, im not sure if it would effect marketing that much. Im not sure how much the averge casual gamer understand what each genera means, iv heard people say skyrim is a MMO because it has leveling. If you think abolut it marketing is trying to get people who have naver played theses typs of games to buy them, Theses people likely havent played or heard of Dungeon Keeper. I intruduced this typ of games to my friends who are all gamers. Hopefuly theses games do well and get reconized.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
It's primarily a god game IMO. It meets the definition of the genre on Wikipedia:

"A god game is an artificial life game that casts the player in the position of controlling the game on a large scale, as an entity with divine/supernatural powers, as a great leader, or with no specified character (as in Spore), and places them in charge of a game setting containing autonomous characters to guard and influence."

Of course, it has elements of other genres such as strategy, but a lot of games are multi-genre.

Styrna

Dwarven Worker
Dec 14, 2012
Real-time strategy god game (RTSGG?) would be what I'd go for, probably. It's also way more descriptive than Mobile online battle arena is for replacing the whole dota-like thing.

Nov 9, 2011
Denmark
Real-time strategy god game (RTSGG?) would be what I'd go for, probably. It's also way more descriptive than Mobile online battle arena is for replacing the whole dota-like thing.
That's what I personally dubbed it, but cant speak for the rest of team.

ANewRoom

Gargoyle
WFTO Founder
I guess really the best way of describing them is just as a god game with RTS elements. So I guess with that in mind RTSGG is the one that seems most apt and also doesn't lock classifications into on setting. Such as somthing like Dungeon Management Game (DMG) would.
I suppose they should have there own genre, I'm not sure if it would effect marketing that much.
I mean from the point of view it using another games name isn't a good idea when writing up a description of a game for its info page. Saying a game is a "Starcraft like game" or "Call of Duty like game" is quite likely to be seen by the IP's owner as a use of their trademark in promoting your product, and/or creating brand confusion.

RachniKiller

Gargoyle
WFTO Backer
Dec 12, 2012
its likened in theme and mechanics wich you cant hold an IP on. Should developers say "say hey this game plays like Call of Duty" probably not, how ever this is't new to WFTO I belive and i could be wrong here pleas correct me if i am but for a long time after Doom came out people called all shooters "Doom clones" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Doom_clone_vs_first_person_shooter.png So mybe GG will take off after maia, Impire, and WFTO gain more popularity?

Huntress
WFTO Founder
Apr 20, 2012
Worthing, West Sussex
How about "Action Management Sim"
Realistically, Dungeon Keeper and others like it, are just management Sims like Theme Hospital, or the Sims with an element of action, this distinguishes it from true God games like populus, black and white, and from dust.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
'Dungeon Strategy' is a genre? Come off it!

I guess I'd believe that if Dungeon Keeper truly did become the seminal game of its type - i.e. combining RTS management and combat.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
I wouldn't say there's anything RPG about it at all. Your creatures level up in combat ability, but levelling up is not purely an RPG mechanic. Even the whole premise of being evil, as one finds actively measured in games like Black & White, Fable, Overlord and so on, finds no real way of being expressed through the player's actions.

Jackpot Winner

Firebreather
WFTO Backer
Nov 29, 2012
Mmmmalright. I just hardly ever used Possession, it was only an occasionally useful tool to compel imps and creatures to go somewhere they were afraid of or that caused them harm. People do go on at length about using it in a battle scenario and I couldn't really get the hang of it. Not to mention that switching to first-person means you suddenly have no control over or knowledge of anything else, whether in the battle or in the rest of the dungeon.

Noontide

Designer / Community Manager
Brightrock Games
Dec 8, 2012
Brighton, UK
I think I'd classify them in the Awesome Genre.

Though I must say I think Simburgur's response was pretty accurate to what I'd call them.

Top Bottom