• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

The Mountain that talks... (Possible Game of Thrones Spoilers)

ANewRoom

Skarg
WFTO Founder
I'm not sure how many people here watch Game of Thrones, and I will not rule out the idea that I am being very over obsessive, but I've got to say that despite the actor changing for Gregor "The Mountain" Clegane three times he has always kept a consistent voice. I'll just get to the point, I can't help but think The Mountain is dubbed over by Richard Ridings. I can't find any proof other than the voice just sounding very much like him.

So here are the 2 best examples I can find (possible spoilers): Season 2 (The Mountain is the guy who says "We weren't expecting you till tomorrow") where he is played by English actor Ian Whyte. In the most recent episode of Season 4 where he is played by Icelandic strongman Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson. And here is Richard Riding's voice reel just for comparison.

Am I just hearing things?

As a footnote: As unnecessary as it should be to say this, PLEASE those who have read anything in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, please no spoilers for the future episodes of the show.

Enjou

Ember Demon
WFTO Backer
Jan 10, 2012
Yes, you're just hearing things. They probably picked people with similar voices when the had to recast the role.

However, Richard did play the role of Gared (a minor character) in the unaired pilot episode. However, the role was recast for the reshoots of that were aired for the final version of the first episode.

May 9, 2014
I'd noticed this as well, having recently rewatched the earlier series. It's surely intentional and is only achievable because the mountain says about 3 sentences in the entire series. "Who am I fighting?" To be honest, I could probably mimic that voice if I only had the 1 line to say.

Simburgur

Managing Director
Brightrock Games
Nov 10, 2011
Brighton, UK
www.twitter.com
I'd noticed this as well, having recently rewatched the earlier series. It's surely intentional and is only achievable because the mountain says about 3 sentences in the entire series. "Who am I fighting?" To be honest, I could probably mimic that voice if I only had the 1 line to say.
So...

We asked him yesterday at the recording session. It was him. And I lost a $50 bet.

ANewRoom

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Seriously?! O:
I am the ridings voice recognition king!

Really, though it isn't too radical a thing to do. Happens all the time in films and tv shows. The most well know example is probably Darth Vader where David Prowse was redubbed by the more menacing sounding James Earl Jones.

Now, I have bets to be collected!

Last edited:

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Oh and Richard Ridings imdb entry says he did the voice for the mountain. I already knew that, like ages ago... so Josh is just bad at research, I bet Dante already looked it up too, knew he was right and then made the bet :p

Underlord Vulukai

Matriarch
WFTO Backer
Mar 11, 2013
The Void
www.youtube.com
pretty cool if it is actually him, would have to double check in the credits on the show after an episode to see if Ridings is listed in the credits. As far as IMDB and the thrones Wiki, neither has any mention of a voice over dub. Tsk tsk, may have gotten swindled out of 50$ dollars Sim, i suspect a side deal was in the works.

pretty cool if it is actually him, would have to double check in the credits on the show after an episode to see if Ridings is listed in the credits. As far as IMDB and the thrones Wiki, neither has any mention of a voice over dub. Tsk tsk, may have gotten swindled out of 50$ dollars Sim, i suspect a side deal was in the works.
We asked him directly at our last session.
Are you implying that Richard would lie?

I'll cut ya

ANewRoom

Skarg
WFTO Founder
Sadly my friends still doubt me :(
Oh and Richard Ridings imdb entry says he did the voice for the mountain. I already knew that, like ages ago... so Josh is just bad at research
Hmm that is strange I see no mention of the Mountain on his IMDB page. What is more when I checked all those months ago the only thing I saw that mentioned Game of Thrones on there was his role in the original shoot of the pilot, which isn't there anymore. Probably someone removed it?

Nutter

Frost Weaver
WFTO Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Sadly my friends still doubt me :(

Hmm that is strange I see no mention of the Mountain on his IMDB page. What is more when I checked all those months ago the only thing I saw that mentioned Game of Thrones on there was his role in the original shoot of the pilot, which isn't there anymore. Probably someone removed it?
Yeah it does seem to be gone.. I did see it somewhere though when I googled him one time a while ago.

Top Bottom