1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compilation The Stygian Empire

Discussion in 'Map Creation' started by Stygian Emperor, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
?

What type of map should I make next?

1. Huge FFA water map with medium-sized islands to spread your dungeon across

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2v2 with sacred earth between allies, ala tape line dividing roommates's halves of a home

33.3%
  3. 1v1 or 2v2 entirely within abandoned fortress sundered in half by a huge fissure

66.7%
  4. A "Mira's Realm"-type map

33.3%
  5. Another, more complex A-Maze-ing Labyrinth

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Anvil of Khorne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stygian Emperor

Stygian Emperor Ghoul

Here is the place where my narcissism will be expressed today. Please don't begrudge me stealing your format, Reyh!.

Abyssal Pillar
    [​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822903180
    Earth tiles are relatively sparse in this realm, Underlord. Without replacement earth, you'll have something of an open-concept dungeon. A Gold Shrine near your Dungeon Core can be exploited as soon as you use an Underminer, but be warned; you may find it difficult to defend its miners.

My first map; I've since edited it to be less terrible. It's probably alright, but I honestly don't like maps without enough room to build a full dungeon before entering no-man's land. Mostly I just still like how it looks.

Sandy Tomb
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846599772
    The great king, Nyarthek the Returning, was said to have been buried in this realm long ago. Though his corpse has mysteriously vanished, his riches are fully intact, and now await a greedy Underlord to plunder them. You may also recruit eager adventurers from the Overworld to aid you - for a cut of the treasure, of course.

One of the earliest 3-player workshop maps, and thus an easy entry to the first Community Spotlight, if I may brag. I still like it, though I made a few significant changes since then like turning the extra underworld gateways into rooms containing neutral empire units, and adding hostile spirits to the pyramid.

Bloodied Colosseum
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576527481
    This subterranean arena was used by Asterion the Stubborn to engage with his political rivals face-to-face, in a manner of speaking. As more challengers to his rule found themselves transfixed upon the cruel spikes lining its walls, any defiance among his people slowly died away. Over the years the despot grew fat and complacent, making his kingdom easy pickings for the new powers growing around his borders. Now Asterion's obstinance has met its end; in the four Underlords that intend to succeed him, the arena finally finds contenders once more.

Let's get both of my Community Spotlight-makers out of the way so the rest of this doesn't seem so pretentious (to be fair, I was very proud of myself). This map has little room besides enough for a full dungeon, and almost nothing between you and the enemy, and thus can get a little frustrating for people like me who want to take their time and plan everything out. So it might be a good idea to play this one 1v1. Don't get disappointed when you realize the colosseum itself is not claimable; its just meant to be backdrop. Also yes, this is named for the Dawn of War Last Stand map. Anvil of Khorne may be forthcoming, given the current interest in rustamgm4X's 13th Black Crusade.

Stygian Ritual
    [​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=834071335

It may not be the first time rogue cultists have tried something like this, but if you ruin their dark designs with enough flair and cruelty, it should be the last.

Inspired by Dark Ritual and several other pentagram-shaped maps, I felt I needed to express my Satanism too. This one is probably unbalanced (there's a more-even 2-player version), and like a lot of my maps the gold placement is spastic, but I love playing it. The center pentagon holds one of each shrine as well as an enormous claimable Sanctuary with a neutral level 10 vampire, which is specifically designed to be taken and held as a unit. My only regret is that I couldn't make this map 5-player.

The Grid
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846051207
    This maddening realm was created by Georithbraic, a being of frightening power absolutely obsessed with symmetry and mathematical perfection. The Grid was to be the template by which he would convert all existence, channeling the immense reserves of mana brought by criss-crossing ley lines to extend it in every direction infinitely. Luckily his lunatic plans were foiled by a temporary coalition between four rising Underlords, their natural inclination towards chaos and disorder uniting them against such nightmarish conformity.

Of course, with their common cause achieved, the Underlords have no interest in sharing the incredible power of the Grid with one another....

This silly map didn't take long to make after the math needed to calculate the size was done, admittedly, but I really liked how it turned out--at least visually. You only have just enough room to fit a full dungeon within each of your 16 impenetrable rock 5x5 squares, then you're just 5 more tiles away from your enemies. In retrospect it might be a little too easy to get to your opponents on this one; all you need is an underminer and you're pretty much there.

Titan's Keep
    [​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=849123611

It is said there exists an incomprehensibly large keep, pulled forth from the very earth to provide a fortress-home to the lord of the mountain giants, Mímir. It is so enormous, the legends go, that a mortal man could carve a comfortable dwelling into a single battlement, or make a mansion out of one of its mighty gatehouses.

But mere stone would not be enough security for the greatest among the giants, so wise Mímir had four guardian spirits bound into his castle, one in each of the main towers. They would watch over the keep, rendering the structure impregnable to mundane and magical assault alike. Yet even so enchanted the fortifications could not protect the giant outside its walls, and Mimir was beheaded while out at war with the Vanir.

Now with no living charge to watch over, and curious denizens of the Underworld trickling into the abandoned stronghold, the tower spirits have grown restless. Each begins to view the other as an aggressor to the Titan's Keep....

This map was actually started around the time of the first Community Spotlight, but I took a long break from WftO soon after. The idea of an abandoned castle so big that it could house your entire base atop a single tower came from an old Warcraft 3 map I made, though in practice this game needs a lot more space. I think whichever player captures the "Gatehouse" probably takes over their entire wall pretty quickly, but maybe blasting through to the inner towers and taking control of a hero shrine first is just as good. Apologies for the butchered Norse mythology in the description.

The A-Maze-ing Labyrinth
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850423012
    Are you smarter than a minotaur?

Not an original idea, but I wanted a maze map that you could actually build within. With 7-tile thick walls in order to allow your dungeon's 5x5 rooms to align, the complexity of this labyrinth is less than I initially planned it to be. Still, with black fog of war and no access to your basic seeing spells, it may take you a while to get your bearings without studying the map before the game starts. A few dead-ends can be broken with an underminer, but while that gets you to the shrines more quickly it also exposes your core to more direct attacks. I worked out a way to preserve the alignment with one more row of 5x5 tiles on either axis since then, so I may make another, more labyrinthine map (with a more thoughtful description). The awful name is not original, it's actually from an old Ravensburger board game with a baffling dearth of minotaurs.

Sight of Evil
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851043961
    Do you feel like you're being watched? In this realm you have easy access to a perception shrine that reveals the core of your enemy's dungeon, allowing you an insight into their plans from early on. Don't forget though; your actions are under the very same scrutiny.

"Occulandi Luciferus," Underlord. You are in the Sight of Evil.

Named for Dungeon Keeper's counterpart of the Prophecy spell, this map is probably my favorite of my own so far. It looks great and is really fun to play, with (what I thought) was a clever-but-unobtrusive gimmick and just enough room in your "circles" to spread out a full dungeon - with some planning. My only issue is that there are only two ways to the enemy's dungeon, but any more and the "distance" between you would be too short. Side note: the faux-latin spell chanting in Dungeon Keeper is really the one thing that game still has over WftO.

Rivers of Life
    [​IMG]

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=855321230
    It is speculated that these fabled currents of blood and water run from the astral place where the Elemental Plane of Ice overlaps with Hell itself. Whether by chance or by design, they have sculpted into the earth the form of the Double Helix, a shape associated with the very substance of life. So see if you can match them in the lifeblood you spill from your enemy.

Honestly the reason I started this thread; I wanted to give this map some attention. The idea was to make a map with a river in the middle with large masses of gold in the midst of it. Somehow that turned into a pair of double-helixes (or a double-double helix, I suppose,) and it became the red-and-blue mess you find before you. Again, I felt I did a good job with the amount of space you have to create your dungeon, and there are a multitude of options for attacking the enemy, as well as a few pseudo-secrets to encourage exploration.

That's all my vanity for now. These aren't all of my maps, but the ones not listed here are variants or are not good even by my dubious standards. I have a few other ideas; vote (below?) on which ones sound good, or just steal them and beat me to the punch.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Reyh! likes this.
  2. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

I would love to see a balanced 3 Player mapo :3

btw, you are a very tallented map designer

3. Stygian Emperor

Stygian Emperor Ghoul

Thank you. I'll try to make a 3-player Mira's Realm.

Biervampir [AUT] likes this.
  4. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

That would be my all time favorit map then!

5. Stygian Emperor

Stygian Emperor Ghoul

What makes a 3-player map balanced? I don't think my Sting of Nod map is particularly good or interesting, but if anything it seems fairly balanced.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

Same amount of resources, same amount of roomplacement, same distance from all enemies.

The map you showed, looks interessting, but I think there isn't equally building space for each player, but perhaps the same amount of tiles.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. gregored13

gregored13 Ghoul

I would have to disagree about balance. I find it is more challenging to play a map that is unbalanced. I might play first as the better equipped underlord, then play again with the area that has fewer resources. I think that unbalanced maps allow more replay value. However, if a map is overly unbalanced, say with 100 Empire minions that immediately rush your position, there is little reason to play.

8. Biervampir [AUT]

Biervampir [AUT] Bafu

I don't want to say unbalancing is awefull.
    I personally prefere balanced maps, because I play them in PvP and I would like to see a fair fight. Because in an RTS where you play PvP euqual locationing is important, because then you can see real skill more obviously, and nothing is disorting it.
    If I want to play unequal fights, I prefere playing 2vs1 or 3vs1's, then I have my challange, instead of a unbalanced map, where I crush my opponent eitherway.

Another Reason why Balancing is important, is to learn the map. If you play it on a really high skill level, you have to learn your dungeon layout, if it changes that can kick you off.

That's why for me balancing is important and for me most anjoyable.

9. Stygian Emperor

Stygian Emperor Ghoul

I definitely strive to make my maps balanced as they are intended for PvP, even though I don't personally play against other players. But using the mirror button all the time can get old, and I think the ultimate achievement is to make an assymetrical yet balanced map (I have not tried this yet).

Mira's Realm has a very square aesthetic to it which helps with tiles so I might be able to work with Manhattan distances rather than Euclidian and make a map where 3-player balance is easier to attain. Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to place Granite tiles like her two maps have around the borders. Why aren't those in the editor? Edit: I "figured out" how to do it. And I'm under no sort of NDA to not tell people, am I...? PM me if you want to know.

----
    Update:
    Mira's Ternion
    [​IMG]
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=860955140

This map really has no business being on this thread as I only want to showcase my best, but it's relevant to the post. I don't like how it looks or how it plays, and I don't think I even managed to balance it properly, but it was going to bug me until I published something.

I might make the sundered stronghold map next, as it has the only other vote so far. No ETA.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Reyh!

Reyh! Gargoyle Backer

I am not begrudged. :) I am glad you liked my format enough to "steal" it though. :D

Good work with the maps btw. :)

11. Nutter

Nutter Inquisitor Founder

You're not under NDA, but i'd politely ask you not to push people towards using unreleased/undocumented console commands (if that is the method you have "found"). Granite tiles aren't available in the Editor for a reason, and as with any unofficial content (aka not officially available in the editor), there could be unexpected consequences of using them, especially if that content is changes or cut from the game entirely at a later point (as an example).

Ultimately I can't stop you telling people if you really want to, but be aware that you run that risk if you're using content not officially available in the editor.