• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Things I Would Still Love to See Added

mishko

Witch Doctor
Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
  • More Hand Animations: I know you guys put a levitating animation for minions grabbed by the hand. But what I would rather see is animations for the minions dangling back and forth. Also dropping animations for minions and a falling coins animation when dropping gold like in dungeon keeper.

• More Minion Animations: I still want to see unique animations based on mood and other things. Every single animation contributes to giving the game personality. I feel like dungeon keeper would've felt not as interesting without all its animations. Imagine how this game would feel with all of those extra animations added on. Also more blood splattering everywhere wouldn't hurt.

I know these things are considered very low priority. And I know these things may seem small but the more extra personality you give to the game with animations the more well-loved and remembered this game will be and held dear to players hearts.

Nutter

Frost Weaver
Founder
Jan 19, 2013
Huddersfield, UK
nutter666.tumblr.com
Sadly it's not just a case of being low priority, it's that from a time/money perspective, animation is one of the more expensive parts of development and on an indie budget the expensive/low priority stuff tends to stay.. well low priority.

Don't get me wrong I know the game would benefit from more animations, and i'm sure the devs know too.. but if it was a choice of more animations, or more actual content for the game (animations vs map editor as a fictional example), which would you choose? it's a tough call to make, because someone usually gets disappointed, but someone has to make it for the good of the company.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
Certainly, it must say That some units do not have a shred of "personality" ..
Example: the shadow, does not make any kind of noise .. I understand That the shadow is quiet, but it is a unit without any kind of sound.:(

Cultist Joris

Ember Demon
Founder
Dec 30, 2012
Belgium
Certainly, it must say That some units do not have a shred of "personality" ..
Example: the shadow, does not make any kind of noise .. I understand That the shadow is quiet, but it is a unit without any kind of sound.:(
To be fair, beetles and the lot were silent as well in the original Dungeon Keeper. The shadow having audible sound would break with its narrative as a stealth creature. On the other hand, if you have any ideas for more subtle sounds that would fit withing its character, we're always open for improvements.

BlackBeard

Firebreather
Mar 21, 2015
Italy
To be fair, beetles and the lot were silent as well in the original Dungeon Keeper. The shadow having audible sound would break with its narrative as a stealth creature. On the other hand, if you have any ideas for more subtle sounds that would fit withing its character, we're always open for improvements.
bafu has no sound (even When it slaps).

The Shadows Should Have a sound like the wind, but a little dark ..
https://www.freesound.org/people/Jaylew1987/sounds/186917/

the bafu should have a sound like a shriek of a bat ...

the necromancer and WD have the exact same sound, it does not help to "make unique" these units (as chunder). Certainly the sound in question does not match in a necromancer and a witch doctor (it looks like a slapped child xD)

the succubus is a lover of torture, but When It slaps "suffering" instead of "appreciate"

The Beastmaster Should Have a voice a little "pork" .. its appearance Resembles a pig

the cultist is ok ^^

The oculus not have sound

the Titans do not have a sound

the skarg is ok

The Augre sound is bad (does not reflect the character)

(sorry for eng by google)

Last edited:

mishko

Witch Doctor
Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
Honestly animation is part of the reason why I still have a little bit more fun in dungeon keeper at the moment. I know it seems stupid but it really is part of what made the games for me.

May 24, 2013
if it was a choice of more animations, or more actual content for the game (animations vs map editor as a fictional example), which would you choose? it's a tough call to make, because someone usually gets disappointed, but someone has to make it for the good of the company.
I understand the difficulties involved with creature animation, but as mishko points out, they really do make the game. Having some gnarling dance a jig or something when its ecstatic or creatures get in a drunken brawl at the tavern or strike up a dice game for example would really make wfto the living breathing dungeon dk was. This only really affects sandbox or home realm where minions are idle a lot its true, but I don't think I am alone in that being my favorite game mode. Just my two cents but when it comes down to more animations or more actual content I'd pick more animations if it meant my idle minions in sandbox/home realm actually did stuff rather then just eat, sleep, and walk around.

Edit: the brawl in the tavern idea would hopefully be fairly simple with no new animations. If two creatures have finished eating there's a small chance they will fight each other to KO. this won't trigger if the enemy has been nearby in the last few minutes and enemy fighting notices or rally flags will cancel the fight if it has already started. I'm pretty sure there's been multiple requests for a feature like this.

Last edited:

mishko

Witch Doctor
Founder
Feb 27, 2012
Michigan
The hand animations and animations based on mood would also affect the campaign and multiplayer not just sandbox modes. I'm not just talking about idle animations I'm also talking about stuff like when a succubus becomes unhappy she stamps her foot on the ground and sulks when she walks. And proper dangling from hand animations and dropping animations. Yeah a tavern brawl would be pretty cool.

Top Bottom