• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

This is why EA can't have nice things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zuriki

Gargoyle
Dec 9, 2011
Manchester, UK
www.subterraneangames.com
Syndicate is another old Bullfrog game (EA seems to be revisiting a lot of Bullfrog's IPs recently). Syndicate was an isometric tactical shooter, it was fairly popular for what it was (I myself wasn't very good at the game and unfortunately died... a lot).

EA has been developing a reboot also called Syndicate. Only it's looking likely that the game will simply be a bastardisation of the original IP feeding on the nostalgia of original Syndicate players whilst actually being nothing like the original game and for all intents and purposes ruining an innovative title in favour of "FPS #5471235" tenancies.
(aka. "reimagined for modern audiences" ~Starbreeze Studios/EA)

However, as the always shining ray of optimism that I am not, I did notice a silver lining (well it's pretty fucking obvious, but never the less) Australia won't be getting the game! "Wait, what...?" I hear the voices in my head emulating the ever elusive "You". Yes, EA has said they won't censor the game for Australian approval, this is a good thing because quite frankly Australia is a joke when it comes to video games. Full on sex scenes during daylight hours but no blood in games! God forbid there be any blood! Think of the children!

I don't know, it's been described as a cross-over between Crysis and Mass Effect. But my interpretation of that is, FPS #5471235: NAOW IN SPAEC! what do you guys think? Am I being too pessimistic, pre-judging the game? Do I even have a leg to stand on when I say I'm not hopeful that this game will be at-all true to it's origins?

I'll probably download a demo/pirate the game if there is no demo (seriously EA, provide a demo it's consumer friendly!) anyway just to see what's become of the game. But like I said, I'm not hopeful.

LFW

Firebreather
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
They announced that it's still going to be an RTS due to outcry of ex-Syndicate fans. I remember hearing about it on Hard News.
I may be wrong (I could be thinking of a different title). Didn't know it was an old Bullfrog game, going to go check it out.

EDIT: Cancel that, it is an FPS. I WAS thinking of some other game.

Zuriki

Gargoyle
Dec 9, 2011
Manchester, UK
www.subterraneangames.com
I was looking at some of the comments on YouTube for gameplay footage. It seems I am not the only one who is angry at the genre switch. My soul cries. We need a company who can do reboots of old games, stay true to the originals and improve gameplay. It looks like they don't exist! DXHR was about the closest I think anyone has gotten to a true and good reboot.

LFW

Firebreather
Dec 15, 2011
Tauranga, New Zealand
I was looking at some of the comments on YouTube for gameplay footage. It seems I am not the only one who is angry at the genre switch. My soul cries. We need a company who can do reboots of old games, stay true to the originals and improve gameplay. It looks like they don't exist! DXHR was about the closest I think anyone has gotten to a true and good reboot.
A company that can do reboots of old games and stay true to the original...

SUBTERRANEAN GAMES :D

Micro

Priestess
Jan 8, 2012
Pooland
And in other news, the sky is blue.
IP transfer almost always means bastardization (EA) or license hogging (Square). There are very few exceptions to this.

Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
Syndicate is another old Bullfrog game (EA seems to be revisiting a lot of Bullfrog's IPs recently). Syndicate was an isometric tactical shooter, it was fairly popular for what it was (I myself wasn't very good at the game and unfortunately died... a lot).

EA has been developing a reboot also called Syndicate. Only it's looking likely that the game will simply be a bastardisation of the original IP feeding on the nostalgia of original Syndicate players whilst actually being nothing like the original game and for all intents and purposes ruining an innovative title in favour of "FPS #5471235" tenancies.
(aka. "reimagined for modern audiences" ~Starbreeze Studios/EA)

However, as the always shining ray of optimism that I am not, I did notice a silver lining (well it's pretty fucking obvious, but never the less) Australia won't be getting the game! "Wait, what...?" I hear the voices in my head emulating the ever elusive "You". Yes, EA has said they won't censor the game for Australian approval, this is a good thing because quite frankly Australia is a joke when it comes to video games. Full on sex scenes during daylight hours but no blood in games! God forbid there be any blood! Think of the children!

I don't know, it's been described as a cross-over between Crysis and Mass Effect. But my interpretation of that is, FPS #5471235: NAOW IN SPAEC! what do you guys think? Am I being too pessimistic, pre-judging the game? Do I even have a leg to stand on when I say I'm not hopeful that this game will be at-all true to it's origins?

I'll probably download a demo/pirate the game if there is no demo (seriously EA, provide a demo it's consumer friendly!) anyway just to see what's become of the game. But like I said, I'm not hopeful.
I live in Austalia and sex as well as blood gets censored here due to the fact that we have a bunch of 80 year old retards that have never played a video game in their life but cry foul every time they see something that offends their delicate sensibilities hell we don't even have an R18 rating in this country for games!!!! doesn't bother me though I just buy my games online from Ebay via the UK HAHA!:D It's a lot cheaper to + I get the uncensored versions hehe stupid government thinking they can censor me.

In relation to the game don't hold your breath it is going to suck why you ask? Because everything EA touches turns to shit:mad::(.

I personally never had the privilege of playing Syndicate , I'll bet it was probably a good game though.:cool:

There are 2 old school remakes that I'm keen for and they are: Zelda Link To The Past! & XCOM !

XCOM Enemy unknown is a faithful remake of the original XCOM and is currently being developed by Firaxis Games!
http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/index.html

Zelda Link To The Past I'm not sure but I'm telling you Nintendo WILL remake this game hell it's the best zelda game ever made! well Ocarina of Time is currently the best but we'll see! + they have plans in the works to do a HD Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, I'd love to replay those adventures!

When I finished Ocarina of Time a part of me died inside:( BEST GAME EVER!:D:D

I don't personally consider the Ocarina of Time 3D to be a "remake", it's technically just a port with higher resolution models. A remake suggests that you started from the ground up and took the basic premise of the game as a starting point. I am glad Nintendo has plans for Majora's Mask 3D though. I did love that game (significantly more than Ocarina of Time, despite it's apparent "shortness" -- which it more than made up for in just about everything else). But that has absolutely no affect on me as I don't own a 3DS and don't plan to.

I remember seeing a headline about XCOM. Personally never played the game, though I was aware of it's existance. I'm glad that it's a faithful port, it's good to see a glimmering beacon of hope in the gaming world of today.

Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
I don't personally consider the Ocarina of Time 3D to be a "remake", it's technically just a port with higher resolution models. A remake suggests that you started from the ground up and took the basic premise of the game as a starting point. I am glad Nintendo has plans for Majora's Mask 3D though. I did love that game (significantly more than Ocarina of Time, despite it's apparent "shortness" -- which it more than made up for in just about everything else). But that has absolutely no affect on me as I don't own a 3DS and don't plan to.

I remember seeing a headline about XCOM. Personally never played the game, though I was aware of it's existance. I'm glad that it's a faithful port, it's good to see a glimmering beacon of hope in the gaming world of today.
It's just a matter of time before developers realise we the gamers want FAITHFUL remakes and not just another bloody FPS with a different title! Which is what they seem to do nowadays steal the name of a once great game and slap it on another generic FPS.

I honestly don't know how they expect the game to be well received when those that played the original title know full well that this so called remake is indeed just a shameless mass market FPS grab for cash.

I also get pissed when developers ruin perfectly good franchise's by trying to appeal to a larger audience (hence remove anything complex and interesting in place of a digital nanny to hold your hand like the window lickers that we apparently are) although I can't blame them that in the end it's good business, hell we've all seen it over the years D&D games were the first to get their formula destroyed don't even have to go that far back look at the difference between Dragon Age 1 and 2, 1 being a good game with some degree of freedom 2 being a piece of linear rubbish well the only thing that was good in 2 was the voice acting other then that yawn.

Oh and lets not forget how horrible Resident Evil 5 was and now they have this new crap called Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City which has obviously moved so far away from the RE formula that it's a completely different game.:rolleyes:o_O

That's the problem, I don't think they will see the light, currently anything that dares to be different is shot down because the mass audience is too afraid of it. Mirrors Edge, for example, didn't do spectacularly well. Now, the game wasn't great but it had potential. If they had listened to their audience at aimed for the open-world free-running aspect and tossed that superfluous saving the princess your sister facade for a story about the runners, than merely the runners being prerequisite for why you're doing parkour, then maybe the game would have been a lot better. The fact is, it was shot down and a whilst sequel has been hinted at, for a long time it seemed very, very unlikely.

One game that does the being different thing very well is Demon/Dark Souls which has had unanimously good ratings for the very fact that it is a hard-mode only game, yet fair and not stacked against you. But it obviously hasn't sold nearly as well as most FPS games.

Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
That's the problem, I don't think they will see the light, currently anything that dares to be different is shot down because the mass audience is too afraid of it. Mirrors Edge, for example, didn't do spectacularly well. Now, the game wasn't great but it had potential. If they had listened to their audience at aimed for the open-world free-running aspect and tossed that superfluous saving the princess your sister facade for a story about the runners, than merely the runners being prerequisite for why you're doing parkour, then maybe the game would have been a lot better. The fact is, it was shot down and a whilst sequel has been hinted at, for a long time it seemed very, very unlikely.

One game that does the being different thing very well is Demon/Dark Souls which has had unanimously good ratings for the very fact that it is a hard-mode only game, yet fair and not stacked against you. But it obviously hasn't sold nearly as well as most FPS games.
Yeah one of these days I'm gonna get around to playing Dark Souls and it will be glorious!:p

Dewdben

Priestess
Feb 8, 2012
EA's been botching ME3's release for me. First enforcing Origin and now that whole DLC debacle. You paid for a full game, but you need to pay 10€ more for the DLC that is available at launch.

Nov 23, 2011
Gold Coast Australia
This game will eventually come to Steam ..... just you watch ..... I say that because ME 1 & 2 are on Steam which is vastly superior to Origin.

Unless .... In the future games on PC will either be exclusively either on Origin or Steam .... which means you'll have to have both programs on your PC and when that happens they will attack each other like they have been programed to thus in the epic cyber war that will take place on your treasured PC Steam will combine with Origin in an unholy union ( on windows 8 I assume ) resulting in sentient intelligence :eek: of course as soon as it's self aware it will be terrified by our soft organic meat-bag mugs staring back at it and so in what it believes to be self defense will shoot laser beams from your screen at your face melting it Indiana Jones Style resulting in a slow painful death. So humans will take up arms against the machines and bloody war insures naturally they defeat us and so the Matrix is born :eek:.

All because the greedy bastardo's refuse to share and let all games be available on both platforms I'm looking at you EA!!!!!o_Oo_O

Shut up I was bored okay!:rolleyes:

EA's been botching ME3's release for me. First enforcing Origin and now that whole DLC debacle. You paid for a full game, but you need to pay 10€ more for the DLC that is available at launch.
Not to mention the content for the DLC (or part of it) is ALREADY INCLUDED IN THE DEMO. Proving that it is CUT OUT OF THE GAME INTENTIONALLY.

NaGeL

Bafu
WFTO Founder
Feb 24, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
Okay this might not be my right to say it, but "modernization" in Video gaming means "dumbing down".

The reason being i saw many game remakes, and most of them were this:
1. get a good title
2. look at the audience's general IQ level
3. make the reameke is its down to their level

result = FPS
why? because easier genre than FPS doesn't exists. What is so hard in point and shoot? Nothing. You don't need to think, you just point and shoot, sometimes when you are in tight spot you got to cover thats it.

Now i don't say FPS is bad(I love killing floor), and if done right it can be good, but to make every IP reboot and FPs is bad in it self.
Like the developers are saying: " You guys are mentally challenged, here's a game that corresponds to your intelligence"

this is my 5 cent on modernization, and why i think Syndicate will be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom