• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

To me very important, dungeon sounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2014
Ascensión
Dungeon is all about ambiance... the sound of dripping water/droplets.
the sound of evilish singing here and then... like aoooohhhhh or something xD coupled with silence..

The sound when you claim a "tile" as your imp claims it. Like dungeon keeper 2 was phenomenal.
they MUST bring that back to this game. or I will have to rip it from DK2 myself and replace files :p

Now I know this is a new game, but surely you must be able to do something similar.
At any rate as it is now the claiming sound of "terrority" doesn't excite me.
And my personal opinion...the ambiance is not as dark as it could be.. it is not that bad, but the characters kinda look too "nice" "cartoony", "humerous"

Other then that im mediocritly statisfied by the current progress. It won't be DK3 we hope for as I see it now, ofcourse its not ready but yeah. It will be atleast entertainable.

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
They can't simply copy the claim sound from Dungeon Keeper because it would cause some copyright problems with EA. I agree that there should be ambiance in place but the got to use their own sounds. Personally I wouldn't mind if they used the current sound of tile claiming or the one from DK, I like them both in their own way.

Feb 27, 2014
Ascensión
Well I suppose you don't realize how awesome the DK2 one is , and how bland this one is :p
I really kills it for me :p but that is me.
Im not saying it to be 100% exact. maybe make it sharper or lower or whatever.

at any rate it should be simple to replace one sound file later on right?

Peetfighter

Augre
WFTO Founder
Jan 23, 2013
The Netherlands
www.youtube.com
at any rate it should be simple to replace one sound file later on right?
That depends. The developers are not sure if there will be modding support. Now I'm not a modder at all but I think that if there will be modding support it would be easy to change, if the won't be modding support then I think it's gonna be a lot of work with only little reward.

Mozared

Juggernaut
WFTO Founder
Feb 17, 2013
I'm not actually sure whether the current claiming/digging/fortifying sounds are final and what the exact thought behind it, but I think it's worth summoning @Meshuggly to this thread for an answer - he's been able to give me some very clear explanations for sound design decisions so far.

Mar 11, 2014
I have to totally agree about the ambience though. I really hate it when I turn the music off from an environmental sort of game only to discover that the sound design didn't account for this and you wind up with eerily quiet mountaintops or a game that should be atmospheric but just isn't.

Castigator

Necromancer
WFTO Backer
Dec 30, 2012
Germany
What kind of ambient sound do you hear 800 metres to several kilometres under ground? Schlagende Wetter, or firedamps, the dripping of water, air currents, or the moaning sound of gas, when it flows through cracks in the rocks?
Apart from the life of the dungeons, or biotopes in larger caverns, the underground is a dark and lonely place. There is noone who can hear you cursing, if you drop your hammer onto your feet.
The ambient sounds underground are only truly lively in comparison to the ambient sound in space. Aside from the occasional tremor, there will be an eerie silence in the empty corridors of your dungeon.
I managed to find this very informative documentary, that shows how it looks in a mine.

Last edited:
What kind of ambient sound do you hear 800 metres to several kilometres under ground? Schlagende Wetter, or firedamps, the dripping of water, air currents, or the moaning sound of gas, when it flows through cracks in the rocks?
Apart from the life of the dungeons, or biotopes in larger caverns, the underground is a dark and lonely place. There is noone who can hear you cursing, if you drop your hammer onto your feet.
The ambient sounds underground are only truly lively in comparison to the ambient sound in space. Aside from the occasional tremor, there will be an eerie silence in the empty corridors of your dungeon.
I managed to find this very informative documentary, that shows how it looks in a mine.
The DK games had dripping sounds, distant thumps echoing through the caverns and tortured, ghostly sighs. Very effective and evokative IMO.

Nov 25, 2013
Germany
For me, what defines the Dungeon Keeper feeling, is the heavy metal touched soundtrack.
Yes I know, WFTO is not DK. But I think that a more "evil" soundtrack would give the game a better feeling to be a really EVIL underlord, ruling over evil creatures to fight against these snobbish heroes. ;)

Jan 3, 2013
You shouldn't forget few things - sound data may possibly vary based on the dungeon theme. For example, the same water drop sound won't be appropriate in Crystal Theme. While creature and overlord actions will generate the same sound for everyone ( such as digging, building, moving ) the sound of atmosphere itself should match the theme.

There won't be a need for absolutely new sound data, all is needed is to define which sound data should play ( kinda attach it to theme ). This however means that devs will need to add few extra sound files for various themes, witch I believe is something they are capable of without much trouble.

toy203

Priestess
Dec 8, 2012
I love the chicken sound in DK1. Mixed with a far rumbling from training room, is still one of my "most relaxing" sound EVER. And the graveyard bells were amazing too.
I really hope for great great sounds here. For me, it's a big part of the experience.

Feb 27, 2014
Ascensión
Now that the game is almost to be released. I am sorry to say, STILL this "issue" hasn't been addressed with.
Seriously hasn't anyone noticed it, how different, (not in a comparable way) it feels.

I miss the dark dungeon sounds that DK2 brought, and the terrain exploring sounds are the most important one as this will keep playing 1000x times in your mind lol.

That's the ONLY thing I ask for as an early backer. Or the ability to mod it in, using your own mp3/wav.

I commend you on getting the original voice actor +
And the seemingly gazillion mechanics buildings units.. but I am afraid that will backfire..

Last edited:

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
as was stated before its not as easy as copy over the SFX from other DMGs.

i dont think the Soundeffects we have are bad at all.
And im sorry if you feel that this will make the game worse for you, but i dont think that this is something a lot people feel

Feb 27, 2014
Ascensión
Not as easy.. but they could make it possible if they wished it, by allowing mods.

If you look up, obviously some people know what I am talking about.

LIke this guy is saying above:
The DK games had dripping sounds, distant thumps echoing through the caverns and tortured, ghostly sighs. Very effective and evokative IMO

I am not saying they are bad, but they just don't "fit" as much, which is something different.
It feels too "modernish" I miss the organic, raw, fantasy feel/sounds in believable way.
Do you know how much sound is of the total experience?

Well a lot of people.. may not give it that, that much importance as I do true. But I do think enough people should notice when the game is released?

@Meshuggly hasn't been summoned to this thread?
Sorry if I came out disrespectfull , just my passionate critique.

Another note, I hope they don't make the game too bright.
I saw a screenshot where they apoligised for making the game too dark in the screenshot, but it actually didn't look bad.

Lord of Riva

The Lord
WFTO Founder
Dec 29, 2012
Well, lets say there is always room for improvement.
Modding is a troublesome aspect in WFTO and its not as far reaching as said in the KS, i wouldnt expect to see custom music/SFX mods tbh.
i cant find the Topic on that anymore Tbh.

Well maybe one of the coders may have more to say to that but we are in the final sprint for release and they may have their hands full atm

Also i want to say that still not all sounds are implemented (mainly unit sounds i guess) but i think as well that WFTO can have its own identity not only visually but also soundwise.

Maybe @Meshuggly comes around to be more clear, but i guess hes also pretty busy atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom